Reload this Page >

New York in December

Search

New York in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Amy

New York in December

My husband and I are traveling to NYC from Houston Dec. 3-7th, leaving early on the 8th. It is our first trip there, and our one year wedding anniversary. What will the weather be like as far as temp., rain, etc. typically around this time. What time does it get dark. What are some don't miss things that we need to do while we are there? We are staying at the Wellington, if that helps. Your help is much appreciated.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:25 AM
weatherguy

It will be 37 degrees with variable clopudiness with a possibility of showers by morning. Sunset at 6:01 PM sharp. You will see a guy with red hair smoking a cigarette outside your hotel. The cream cheese on your breakfast bagel will have a slight funny smell and you will find sand, mysteriously, inside your suitcase when you get home.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:27 AM
anon

Amy,

Suggest you do a search on New York in here...lots of info.

1. It will be cold...20's - 40's it may rain, snow or be sunny.
2. Sun goes down around 5:00 PM

You need to take in at least one broadway play.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Amy

Anon-Thanks for your helpful reply.

To that other moron, weatherguy a$$hole who posted, do you have nothing better to do than try to find people to annoy and insult. Do you realize how absolutely ridiculous you make yourself look when you write things like that, no one cares, and no one is amused.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Donna

Actually it gets darker earlier because the tall buildings block what little of the sun is left.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Joe

Amy, it's really tough to predict. I can recall very warm days in December (like in the '50s), but I can also recall bitterly cold days as well. As Anon says, typical weather will probably be in the '30s or 40's. Rain or snow is possible, although December isn't really any wetter than any other time of year. Just bring warm clothes (hat, scarf and gloves are important) and check the weather before you come. it gets dark early. It will probably be dark around 5. There's so much to do I don't know where to start. You should definitely try to take in a show while you're here.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:24 AM
tweedy

I hope you have a great time while you are here.

The weather by December will be COLD, so think of layers when packing and dressing, so you can bundle up while you are out and stay warm.

I would suggest getting a book on NYC, so you have some better ideas of what to see and do, we have over 10,000 restaurants in Manhattan alone, art galleries, museums, the Staten Island Ferry, Chinatown, Little Italy, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center.

Your hotel is centrally located so it will be easy to hop on subways and buses to get around the city or you can walk.

You might do a search on this site for more info.

Have a great time.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Sue

Amy

You have four days, the same as we did for our first trip just over a week ago (although your days will be colder!). We spent ages watching this forum, and planning. What we landed up with was:

General advice
Buy a metro card. At only $4 a day it covers all bus and subway trips and is fantastic value.
Use all the websites you can find. Our faves were www.nycvisit.com and also www.citysearch.com Citysearch is great to cross-check other peoples advice about hotels, retsaurants, shows, shops. You learn to read between the lines.
Take comfortable shoes!

What we did
Day 1, Settled into hotel and then walked Lower Manhattan, WTC (so upsetting, but you should go), Wall Street (better done on a weekday), then South Sea Seaport to watch the lights go on over the river (the TKTS booth here is quieter than the one in Times Square). Ate dinner local to hotel.

Day 2, Empire State, then Staten Island, then wandered Little Italy (sat outside for lunch, but you won't be able to do that), Chinatown, SoHo. Dinner at a tiny Argentine restaurant recommended on this forum.

Day 3, St Patricks area, wandered in Central Park (best done at weekend), then some window shopping. Meant to go to a show, but were too late for TKTS so rested weary feet instead. Dinner at a Korean BBQ restaurant - new experience for us. A bit production line but good food.

Day 4 Greenwich (bad idea, as we did it in the morning when it was too quiet, but we did talk to some locals), then shopping and packing. Headed for home with our sore feet.

This worked well for us. Whatever you do, there'll still be a lifetime of sights to see and restaurants to eat at, so try to make time to wander and watch - some people I know have been so regimented I am sure they didn't have time to appreciate NYC life.

Happy to answer any sub-questions if you have any, but whatever you do, enjoy it.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:10 AM
vik

I'm from New England and the Dec in NYC is mild. 70s during the day or 60s at nightin Dec would be a safe bet. You'll need a fleece in the evenings. You can buy a "citypass" that gets you into 8 museums/rides in the city at 1/2 the price. A broadway show - The Producers, 42nd Street, Lion King or Mamma Mia or an evening at the Lincoln Center @ Columbus Circle for a performance of the NY Symphony would be spectacular

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:16 AM
joe

Amy, don't listen to Vik. It is extremely unlikely that highs will be in the 70s (and lows in the 60s!) in December in NYC. The average high in NYC in December is around 42 degrees, the average low is around 30. So be prepared for that.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Ken

I will also be in N.Y.C. then and I unless I missed it in the other post I was wondering if the Tree in Rockefeller(sp)Center would be up and lit yet?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:38 AM
x

www.weather.com has norms/min/max data.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Joe

Ken, I believe that the Rockefeller Tree lighting ceremony is the first Wednesday after Thanksgiving, which means that it will be lit Dec. 4.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Ken

Thanks Joe for the Reply. I am glad the Tree will be up and Lit when we are in the City.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Amy

Thanks you all so much for the positive responses.

We were going to see the actual Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony but some people on another board advised me against it. I am glad I will see it while I am there though.

I got one of those New York City guides from nyctourist.com and it is pretty cool. It's pocket sized and discreet. Although I don't think I will be whipping it out in front of the locals, in the back of the book it has a little dictionary of how New Yorkers talk. That part is so STUPID, but the map in it is cool, and other information in it has been helpful. I guess I need to make a tentative iteniery of what we want to do while we there so we don't forget anything, but not stick to it too much, because I want to have time to enjoy the city and not be rushed.

I think we want to go see A Christmas Carol, with Tim Curry, and definately the Empire State Bldg., WTC area, Statue of Liberty, all those sites.

We are so excited. To the poster that ate Korean BBQ, where did you go? I want to try it.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Jerry

Experience New York City Nightlife
Hear live Jazz & Blues in Greenwich Village
for a GOOD time GOTO: http://www.webspawner.com/users/nyctours

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Amy

I also meant to ask, what should we wear if we do go see a play? And where can I get good cheap tickets in advance?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Mrt

Ok Amy, enough questions. Learn to search the web and answer your own questions. Enough with the mundane questions that are answered in any tour guide, here on this website, or by scrolling down through the inquiries herein. You should not ask questions until you've done at least a LITTLE research on your own. "Do you realize how absolutely ridiculous you make yourself look when you write things like that, no one cares, and no one is amused."

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Amy

If you don't like my questions, don't answer them sweetie.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:05 AM
Sue

Amy, the Korean was KANG SUH located at 32nd & Broadway. It doesn't have a huge sign outside, but is actually on the South side of 32nd, on the East of Broadway, if that makes sense!

It's open 24 hours, pace is frenetic. We waited about 10 mins for a table, and then felt slightly hurried during our meal - but it was full of Koreans all eating at the same speed, so I guess that's just the way it is! There are loads of other Korean restaurants in that area, but this one was recommended to us as good by a poster on Chowhound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -