Search

New york hotels???

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:37 PM
Jamie chandler

New york hotels???

my friend and i are going to manhattan for "girl time" and are looking for the best hotel. we are not going to spare any expense!! we want a place where if we say the name every one is in awe! just kidding. but we really would like to know the best hotels to stay in manh.
jamie

Old May 21st, 2001, 03:37 PM
Beth

I vote for the St. Regis. Have stayed there twice and it is my favorite.

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:42 PM
rqf

A hotel with great name recognition is the Plaza. If you get one of the less expensive rooms don't expect a space that is much bigger than a walk-in closet. Anothr hotel with good name recognition is the Waldorf-Astoria. The Waldorf Towers (top floors of the Waldorf-Astoria) is on a par with the St. Regis and the Plaza but the rest of the hotel is a step below.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:11 AM
woo

Visited NYC two weeks ago. My favorite hotel, the ST. Moritz, is being turned into condos! You must first decide what you prefer to be near: Central Park? Times Square? Shopping?
Our "girls group" of three opted for the Le Parker Meridien, as it has a central location. Nice size room (for Manhattan) w/two queen beds & friendly service. The Omni Berkshire also has a good central location, and has recently been renovated. It may help to ask the square footage of your room when you book, depending on how many of you are sharing it.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:31 AM
Pernille

St. Regis without a doubt.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:27 PM
TED COFFEY

HI JAMIE THE PLAZA IS OVERPRICED AND POMPOUS OUR ROOM WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DECENT BATHROOM.THEY GAVE THE IMPRESSION THEY WERE DOING US A FAVOUR BY ALLOWING US TO STAY THERE IT REMINDED US OF THOSE STUFFY ENGLISH HOTELS OF TWENTY YEARS AGO WHERE YOU SPOKE IN HUSHED TONES. AS A SPECIAL TREAT WE STAYED AT THE WALDORF IF YOU LIKE TATTY DECOR AND CHIPPED DOORS THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU.(WE COULDNT AFFORD THE TOWERS SO CANNOT COMMENT)HOWEVER IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO BE IN AWE THESE ARE THE PLACES TO STAY.(PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE WILL BE IMPRESSED)GIVE YOURSELF A TREAT GO TO THE ST REGIS GREAT ROOMS FABULOUS STAFF JUST A MAGIC PLACE TO STAY.YOUR ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN YOU GET BACK HOME PEOPLE WILL SAY THE ST WHO??? TAKE MY ADVICE STAY AT THE ST REGIS AND HAVE A DRINK AT THE OTHER TWO

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:27 AM
Julie

The Mark in the upper East side is lovely and 1/2 a block from the Park. Beautiful neighborhood.

In Manhatten - The Four Seasons.

Both of these are very expensive, but if you're into seeing the famous in the lobby, you won't be disappointed.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:32 AM
julie

What about the Carlyle? If it was good enough for Princess Di......

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:14 AM
Stephen

Ted, stop yelling.

The Waldorf is very average (and that includes the Towers, where I stayed on my last trip).

I find that the smaller, boutique hotels tend to be the best hotels in a city. For example, in D.C., the best hotel is the Jefferson. Definitely not the biggest name, but it's where all the big names stay (I used to work there).

For a name in NY, I've heard good things about the Four Seasons. Of course, for $500 a night, it had better be good.

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Gary T

Jamie- Don't spend your money on rooms...get a reasonable $200 room just to sleep in, and spend your money on enjoying the town. I recommend the Crowne Plaza on Broadway for location. Then blow your money on good show tickets, expensive meals, and shopping. There's nothing worse than a $1000/night room that you never get to sleep in because you're out all night!Everyone will be in awe of your Gucci and Tiffany. Have fun.