So Cal (Snow) New Years Trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Many of you have provided feedback to help us plan a cross country trip from Boston to San Diego (Thanks!!). We leave this Friday, December 4 for a 12 day trip and have decided on the following route:

Boston - Washington DC
Washington DC - Nashville
Nashville- Dallas
Dallas- Carlsbad Caverns, NM
Carlsbad- Tucson
Tucson - San Diego

These cities are where we will be spending over nights/a day or two.I'm trying to make the most out of the trip and will sightsee, etc. I have tour books from AAA on each of these cities but am hoping for a few "adventure" tour ideas. I saw canyoneering mentioned in one post and that was appealing- but it was in Utah. Hoping for some different/active/adrenaline rushing ideas to do in a stop or two. Any thoughts? Sure traveling in winter makes this more difficult... air tours? hot air balloon rides? sky diving? canyoneering? open to any ideas....

Also, our final destination (relocation) is San Diego. Would love to plan a ski/snoboard weekend for New Years. Do you have any suggestions of where would be fun to visit by car for this? Big Bear? Where would you recco staying/eating/ringing in the new year?

THANKS!

Thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For a weekend snow trip by car from San Diego you could do either Big Bear(closer) or Mammoth Mountain(more snow). Sorry, no recs on where to stay as we always stayed with friend who lived in Mammoth.

Get your Charger jerseys soon!

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Barbara! I'll look into both.

We are New Englanders and true Patriots fans but are excited to try to catch a Chargers game! I think we are living pretty close to the stadium!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM

There is a fairly new Westin hotel in Mammoth, and tons of condos for rent. My favorite area is The Village. Shops, restaurants on the bottom and condos on the top floors. Great access to the lifts.
www.mammothmountain.com/Lodging/
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM

Try looking up B&Bs in both locations. The last time I was up at Big Bear, the B&B owner (can't remember the name) shuttled my husband and I around for free. I thought that was fantastic. Just a warning, don't expect the snow to be that great. I remember winters and ski trips in New England, that stuff was fantastic.Go Patriots!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM

Julie mentioned what I was going to say about Big Bear. Depending on what happens with the weather in the next few weeks, the snow may be entirely man-made.

Mammoth is great but a pretty long drive from San Diego and I would think you'd be fighting the traffic both going and coming since it's New Years weekend.

You could enjoy New Years in San Diego in the Gaslamp District. It would something new for you-New Years without snow!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM

Maqmmoth is an eight hour drive from San Diego so probably not a good choice for a week end trip. As far as Big Bear, although I am not a skier I did live in SoCal for fifty-five years and know that the crowds on the slopes can be daunting at that time of the year. There are ten million or so people that live in close to Big Bear
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM

Wait to ski later in January or February. The snow will be far superior to anything you've ever seen on a New England ski slope.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a note to point out that hundreds of San Diegans go to Mammoth for weekends all through the season. Leave on Friday after work, ski Saturday and Sunday. Leave Mammoth late afternoon Sunday. New Year's would be a long weekend. It never took us more than seven hours, and more often just over six. Mapquest has it at six and a half. It depends where in San Diego you leave from.