NEW York hotel rates

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 01:44 AM
Josey

NEW York hotel rates

Why are the New York hotel rates still extremely high?we read everywhere that there is a drop in the number of visitors to New York but the hotel rates do not seem to drop at all??

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 03:30 AM
John

New York rates are down, Josey. It's the most expensive city in the nation, however, and the rates reflect this. Last night, I was researching a trip in October and found many nice places under $200. This is NOT the norm! Don't expect $75 rates in NYC...ever!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Joanne

Have you tried Hotwire.com?

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Celeste

No, don't expect $75 rates at very nice hotels in NYC, but I have never paid more than $189, and THAT was a deluxe room at the Waldorf-Astoria last year. You should be able to find a 3 star very easily for $150 or less.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Maggie

What do you consider extremely high? Are you expecting Motel 6 rates at 4-Star hotels? You say "there is a drop in the number of visitors to New York but the hotel rates do not seem to drop at all?? "" So, you think the hotels should drop their rates significantly in addition to experiencing horrendously lower fill rates? What's your point? Hotel rates are "extremely high" in New York City because overhead is high. If you were hoping for "fire sale" rates, please stay home. In March, I shopped the web and hotels like the dickens for a terrific rate for our trip in October. As usual, I'm still shopping, and I can tell you that the rates are significantly lower. I guess you just have to be a practiced shopper. But, the rate I got in March is still superb, all things considered. Shame on you.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Tricia

Josey: So, if this devastation had occurred in your home town, you'd expect the hotels to offer low, low, rates to attract visitors? Do you think that would attract visitors? You can get really low rates in Hilton Head during hurricaine season. Please go there and take advantage of those low, low rates.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Annie

If you are willing to travel to New York City anytime soon, lots of others are as well. Many wish to see for themselves the horror that was ravaged upon us and cannot be appreciated on a TV set. Others genuinely wish to contribute their travel dollars to a magnificent destination at this moment in great need of support. Too bad you wish to take achieve personal benefit from a disastrous situation. Ditto: Shame on You.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:49 PM
xxx

Try priceline.com. We were planning to go to NYC and since the planes were grounded, we had to cancel our plans. I was able to get the Marriott Marquis for $100!! When we reschedule our trip, I will definitely use priceline.com again.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:03 AM
josey

To Annie or Tricia(maybe it is the same person),why are you such an obnoxious ass?do you know the reason why I am asking this question? what makes you assume anything?maybe I am not after a ''hot deal''for leisure purpose?I have asked a simple question and a simple civilized answer would have been more that enough!shame on all of you..

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 09:03 AM
curious

Josey, Try calling the hotels. Some have not updated the websites yet. I don't see anything wrong with looking for a lower hotel rate. I guess some people don't realize that unless an extraordinary deal is offered, some travelers wouldn't even consider staying in New York. Many airlines are now offering incredibly low rates, which just might entice travelers who otherwise would not have considered a trip as it was out of their budgets. If the hotels are offering lower rates, they obviously value your business, even if you're not paying top dollar.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:15 AM
lisa

I would recommend trying Priceline as well. I used it for the first time in August, bid $75 for a 3-star in Times Square, and got the Hilton Times Square which I thought was an excellent deal. This was before the attack and I would think you could get even better deals now.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:44 AM
teresa

By the way, I think we got a pretty good rate of $115 at the Belvedere with our AAA discount for October. I haven't been here, but understand it is pretty good.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Celeste

Don't let anyone bother you, Josey, just go and enjoy New York. It's still the greatest city in the world!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Vic

I second the notion of trying Priceline.com. You specify the general area, i.e. Midtown and the number of stars 1 to 5 (the caveat is: Who knows how Priceline determines the number of stars). However, a friend got the Marriott in Times Square for $70 for late this week. Now that's cheap.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:52 PM
john g

Josie, Im a born Manhattanite and I don't think there is anything wrong with you trying to get a lower rate for a hotel room. Most New Yorkers would do the same thing.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:55 AM
too pricey

I agree with the above. What average family can afford room rates of $250 a night? New York has always been out of many people's budgets folks. Way too pricey!

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:26 AM
carol

An ad in the Sunday NY Times states The Inter-Continental Hotel and the Crowne Plaza are offering special rates of $109-$149 through Oct. 31. 1-877-252-9060 and ask for code: NYC.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Donna Ross

Josey,
I just booked a room at Quality Hotel Eastside for 4 nights Dec 13-Dec17 for $80 a night. This hotel is in the Murray Hill district, on Lexington Ave. Clean and comfortable, $80 a night is a deal anywhere, but for NYC at Christmas it is a steal.
Go to their web site at www.choicehotels.com.
Hope this helps

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:21 AM
JustWondering

Donna: How do you know it is clean and comfortable if you haven't stayed there yet?

P.S. Lexingtion Avenue and 30th Street is not Murray Hill. More like Rose Hill or Kips Bay.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Debbie

Josey,I went through Priceline last
Thursday for the first time and got
The Inter-Continental-The Barclay
on East 48th STreet off Park Avenue
for $100 for this coming weekend.
If your party doesn't have more than
two people you might want to give it
a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -