New York Heat Wave + Hotels...

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:44 PM
arjay

New York Heat Wave + Hotels...

I'm interested in the experiences of other travellers to NYC during this past week - what your hotel accommodations were like in terms of the air conditioning? We had....none. And first were told that there were city regs that prhibited the a/c being turned on before a certain date. Then, several days later (and about 15 degrees hotter temps), there suddenly as a letter tucked under the door apologizing for the problems and blaming the lack of air on some mechanical "improvements' that were underway.
Just curious as to how totally we were being jobbed....

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:49 PM
frank

I'm sorry you had problems, where were you staying?

I know it was EXTREMELY hot this week, but you attitude (i.e. "how totally we were being jobbed.... ") says a lot. If you were this obnoxious at the hotel, it's no wonder they didn't turn on your A/C!

Apr 18th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Statia

We were in NYC this past week and were pretty comfortable in our hotel. We had a window unit in addition to the hotel AC. We were actually a bit warm in the room up UNTIL the temps outside got up over 80 degrees. My husband noted to me that a window AC unit works at it's optimum when it's warmer outside.

I'd say overall that we didn't suffer much. We were a bit warm sometimes and a bit chilly at others, but "going with the flow" is all part of travel, right?

I HAVE always noticed that NYC hotel rooms seem to operate the temp on a standardized unit, rather than each room being individually controlled. Why is that? Just curious.

Apr 18th, 2002, 05:48 PM
arjay

Thanks, Statia. That's just what I wanted to know -whether other hotels did have working a/c - which would make the story about the city regulating when a/c could be turned on a fabrication. We were at the Helmsley NY and it did seem to be a system-wide problem - even the lobby was warm.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:23 AM
frank

arjay-
Frank is full of crap. It was almost 100 degrees in new york this week. You had every right to expect and demand air conditioning in your hotel room. I would have been as obnoxious as it took to get a miserble situation rectified.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
ny

arjay:
The only regs I know about regulate heat not AC. Leona's gang (as in Helmsley) is full of baloney.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:33 AM
not

Frank, expecting a hotel guest to do without AC this past week was tantamount to torture. If the AC wasn't working I would have demanded they find me a hotel room with working AC and make the reservation there. No one should have to sleep in an oven.

I'd be obnoxious too. What kind of idiot would put up with no AC in a hotel when it's 100 degrees out, FRANK?

Apr 19th, 2002, 07:04 AM
r-travels

Always be suspicious when a hotel (or any business, for that matter) cites some local law to weasel out of doing what's right!

I worked at a hotel that would tell people that "local fire ordinances prohibit more than one rollaway to a room" in order to sell more rooms. Unless the rooms were sold, then they'd happily sell all the rollaways.

NYC hotels use centralized systems because they basically pump hot water or cold water thru the entire (existing) system at any given time. It would be cost prohibitive to re-fit for individual HVAC systems. TIP: if possible, just TURN OFF the unit in your room if it's pumping warm air.

I think it fair to expect A/C, and might be sympathetic if I know that a HVAC unit is broken, BUT BEING REPAIRED. But I'm not accepting of lies. BTW- I'm in a different field of work now. (there no x in my real e-ddress)

Apr 19th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Frank

frank: You are a loser, and stop using my name. I've been on this site for a long time and I don't want to be confused with someone who would give the response you gave! Get a NEW NAME and a life.

Apr 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
x

The only possible explanation for a regulation in NY may have to do with drought restrictions. Not sure how that would impact the Helmsley's a/c, unless it uses water cooling in some way, but it is the only thing that could make any sense.

Otherwise, sounds like the folks at the Helmsley needed a convienient, and inaccessible scapegoat.

Apr 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Frank???

AND it sounds as if Frank #2 needs to turn his air conditioning up to cool off a little!

Apr 19th, 2002, 09:24 AM
danna

Same thing happened to us at the Waldorf during an unseasonably warm weekend in October (although not 95). They admitted that they had already turned off the A/C for the year and were not planning to turn it back on. They sent up a bellman to help us open the window (no kidding) and gave us $100 credit.

Apr 19th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Chris

These stories remind me why I once again tout the underrated Mayflower Hotel on Central Park West ... working A/C units in every room, two in a suite. You can run the A/C in December if you want/need to. And the fan noise helps keep the street and neighbor noise down, too. You can keep your fancy-schmancy Helmsley. When booking a hotel anywhere, winter or summer, I seek individual climate control.

Apr 19th, 2002, 10:30 AM
nyc

There's no law. I am in New York, my apt has a/c, my office has a/c, the restaurant I had lunch at had a/c, etc. However, many buildings can only have heat or a/c setup (including my parents 1970's co-op) and have to "switch" from heat to a/c (don't ask me the details - I just know that my parents probably won't have their a/c until May 1 - which is individually controlled central air once it is on). Most likely, the Hemsley was still in heat mode or getting their a/c set up for the year - it isn't that uncommon - but, you should have gotting at the very least the truth, if not some sort of refund. Hell, I left the a/c on when I was at work for my cats the past few days! By the way, I seem to hear a lot of random complaints from people about Hemsley hotels (at least since his "incident" with the law).

Apr 19th, 2002, 01:04 PM
frank

Well, just goes to show it doesn't take too much to get everyone "all bunched up"

To the "other Frank" it's my name too has been since I was born (and I bet there is at least 1 other person in the world with the name Frank) and sorry to also tell you that you are not "famous" on this forum and nobody really cares who posts, how long they have been posting, etc.

If you A/C doesn't work in a hotel, you are to be POLITE and IF someone can do something THEY WILL! Arjay's stupid comment "how totally we were being jobbed...." makes her sound like an idiot. If the A/C is off in a building chances are EVERYONE is uncomfortable, not just you. If you hadn't made such an ass of your self you might have gotten a refund or some other type of compensation. Case in point: last week my flight was cancelled out of LaGuardia (surprise) the man in line ahead of me at the ticket counter screamed at the agent and was very rude. He was basically told "tough luck" I approached the counter was polite, asked what I could do to still make it to my destination, and the agent put me on a flight out of JFK and called a car service to take me over to the other airport. The moral of the story? Be nice.

Now, everyone relax - you are all just making yourselves hotter!

Apr 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM
arjay

Dear Frank - The first and most recent poster, not the 'other' Frank. I am a veteran here, accustomed to seeing all sorts of un-needed, impolite rants, and I chose to ignore the first of yours. But now I choose to reply. If there is someone 'obnoxious' in the immediate vicinity, it wouldn't be me, dearie - check your mirror.

At no time did I say anything, not one word, about how I responded to the front desk when we encountered this problem. And not until the last evening, when a message was slid under our door after midnite - we were still up - that was simply signed The Management (a real cop-out and major pr goof) and that suddenly explained mechanical problems (a good 3 days into the heat wave), did I feel that we were, indeed, being 'jobbed'. You chose to infer a whole range of behavior from one line in my post....and twice have come on like an raving idiot, filled with personal insults. Actually, I'm ashamed to say, that we did not make a thing out of the a/c problems - mainly because for the first time, I had booked thru an internet agency and pre-paid and I didn't expect to get much satisfaction, so we just endured.

We were hot. We got to leave. It's 42 where I am now. On the other hand...you get to wake up every day of your life...and be Frank. My condolences.

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:59 PM
tired

Well, to be quite frank with all of you-you sound like a bunch of hormonal schoolgirls bitching at each other!

Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
Devi

Stayed at Marriott Marquis and Red Roof Inn 4/17 through 4/20/02. Both had more than adequate air conditioning.

Apr 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Sue

WOW arjay - a "veteran" on the fodors.com traveltalk - now THAT's an accomplishment!

Stayed at the Waldorf during the heat wave, nice clean room (king), nice staff, booked in advance at $115 a night. Very comfortable, A/C was working fine.

You might want to write a nice, polite note to the Helmsley and state that although you enjoyed your accommodations the fact the a/c wasn't working was inconvenient and you would hesitate to return (or recommend the establishment to friends etc.) . . . you might be offered a partial refund on the chrages to your credit card. Can't hurt to try, let us know how you do. Good luck!

Apr 24th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cindy

I was staying at the Beacon, on the upper west side. It was absolutely fine. They have some sort of central cooling/heating system that works with a wall-mounted thermostat. I was able to cool the room down nicely when it was horribly hot outside, and then when it got cold, the room temp stayed consistently comfortable. I really like the hotel, by the way, and would recommend it. It's not luxurious (Expedia, where I booked it, rates it at 2 stars) but it was spotlessly clean, the front desk staff were great, and the location was wonderful. I will definitely stay there again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO