Reload this Page >

New York Girls Weekend 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Liz

Hello! I am planning a trip for about 15 of my female relatives (think 2 generations of cackling, wine from a box drinking, shopping, and big eating Irish Catholic women). I am hoping for some NYC advice for:
1. Good shopping that will allow us to look at the lovely expensive things and then go outside and buy the knock offs that are similar.
2. Advice on: The Marriot Courtyard on 3rd Avenue--we are booked there (in 3 rooms)--is it nice?
3. A place where the 20 and 30 somethings can go out and drink and possibly listen to music that is not too far from our hotel.
Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:21 PM
ryan

Not sure where the Marriott is on 3rd Avenue but there are numerous Irish bars on 2nd Ave. between 48th and 53rd.

Try Thady Cons (48th & 2nd) and Jamesons (52nd & 2nd.) There is a great NY/Irish band, Black 47, that plays every Saturday night at a bar just off Times Square but I can't remember the name of the bar.

You might also like the Ginger Man which is on E. 36th between Madison and 5th.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Barb

Sounds like a lot of fun. Never stayed at the Marritt (but you can assume a Marriott is a Marriott)

Great window shopping in the 50's on 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue. You can just stroll up and down...

For some good eats, drinks, and music, I would suggest going to citysearch.com. They have some fantastic choices...

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:09 PM
lisa

Liz -- sounds like a blast! Could I join you? LOL!

1. The Marriott Courtyard on 3rd Avenue is a fine hotel. It's a standard Marriott -- nothing fancy, but at least you know it will have the basics and be clean. It is located firmly in midtown.

You might think about hitting Ess-a-Bagel on 3rd & 52nd for breakfast.

2. For shopping, you will be very close to Bloomingdale's and there are always guys hawking knock-off purses and watches outside. For the really chi-chi stuff, stroll up Madison Avenue or Fifth Avenue. For a break, have lunch in the Tea Box, the restaurant in the basement of Takashimaya department store at 5th Avenue around 54th Street. Yummy and girly.

For more shopping, go down to SoHo where there are lots of great boutiques and then you are close to Canal Street where there are lots of knockoffs of everything!

3. I agree with the above poster about the Irish bars on 2nd Ave. You might also try the bars on 51st between 2nd & 3rd -- Divine Bar is a great bar with lots of wines by the glass and beers and tapas. Next door is Mica bar with a nice outdoor deck (if the weather is good). Also on that block are two french wine bars, whose names escape me.

There are also plenty of good and cheap eats on 2nd Ave in that neighborhood. Try Pescatore for fish & seafood, Blockheads for cheap burritos or Zarela's for killer margaritas and authentic (but slightly more pricey) mexican food.

Have a great time!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:20 PM
cheapo

Careful of those knock offs. My $20 'Prada' bag lasted one week before busting!!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Ei

Not a big shopper so I can't help you with that.

Live in NY so I can't give you feedback on the Marriot.

However, I am also Irish and I do love to drink. Thady Con's is a great bar as is Connelly's (the bar where Black 47 plays). You'll find tons of Irish pubs in the city.

Also, check out www.irishecho.com or www.irishvoice.com. Something maybe going on at the Irish Arts Center you may enjoy. And when you get to NY, buy the paper - they'll tell you where the bands are.

Slaite.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Ted

Okay, here's what you do. Take a cab to the corner of Houston and West Broadway. Walk south on West Broad and enjoy looking at LOTS of expensive stuff. High end stores. Very nice. When you reach Canal Street, cross the street and turn east (to the left). Canal Street is the capitol of knock-offs, from handbags to watches to Burberry scarves. You'll love it. Depending on the time of day, turn north (left again) on Mulberry and walk through the heart of Little Italy. You can have lunch or dinner at any one of the great restaurants along Mulberry.
There you have it. Three great NYC neighborhoods -- SoHo, Chinatown, and Little Italy. Enjoy!