Reload this Page >

New York dress code for daytime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Nervous Nellie

Does it matter what older folks (50+ whose main concern at home is not high fashion )
wear? We plan to attend some plays, go to museums, eat at moderate restaurants, etc.
Don't want to look like rubes, but also don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe for vacation. My husband wears khaki slacks with print/plaid summer shirts for daytime and adds a navy jacket for evening. I have long casual sun dresses(with short sleeve jackets) and some broomstick skirts(also on the long side). Be honest with me---- are we going to look like we just fell off the turnip truck? What should we wear for Sunday brunch at one of the nice hotels or restaurants?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:24 PM
patty

Don't worry - it sounds like a wonderful wardrobe to me, especially for what your plans are. Have fun and be comfortable.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:03 AM
Sandra

We are also planning a trip to New York and we are in the 50+ age group. I plan to take jeans and slacks for daytime wear, and a couple of pants suits for night time. I have a feeling we are going to see that just about anything goes. Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:15 AM
xxx

What is a broomstick skirt nervous nellie sounds like a troll

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:23 AM
xxx

My apologies if you are not a troll. Turnup trucks are the same everywhere barring of course fanny packs and maybe those broomstick skirts whatever they are. Tourist areas are not really filled with New Yorkers so no worries. Always be yourself and enjoy. Even if you do look turnup worthy who cares?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:19 PM
Caitlin

All you xxx's don't know clothes. Broomstick skirts exist and are vry practical for travel as they're crinkled, so they can't wrinkle.

No need to be nervous. I live in NYC and can tell you that even if your dress doesn't quite match that of locals, you will not feel out of place, underdressed, or like rubes.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
phil

Unless you plan on joining the "ladies who lunch" or going to the "power spots" for lunch (4 Seasons, Patroon, 21 Club etc.) we pretty much dress the same way in NY as everyone else.
NYC can be brutally hot in the summer if it is humid. Shorts are fine, just don't wear the black socks and sandals. (You'll look like a rube in any city.)
Crowds at Broadway theaters sadly don't where their Sunday best anymore. Anything you wear will be fine.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:53 PM
LadyJane

I live in Manhattan and am about your age. So--I think it matters what you/we wear! And I think that what you're planning to wear sounds totally fine. I know what a broomstick skirt is, and I have a couple myself. Your skirt or your dress with a jacket will be fine for wherever you're going for brunch. And I hope you are bringing shoes with thick rubber soles so you can completely enjoy being here. Like Arche shoes if you've got cash to burn, or Aerosoles which are just about the same I think, or there are lot of others now.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Kim

Well I'm in my thirties and really had the same question. I'm going to take an A-line and a couple of slacks with sweaters. Think it really only matters if YOU feel good about what your wearing.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Kathy

What you're planning sounds perfectly acceptable. You see EVERYTHING in NYC, but your attire would be appropriate, middle-of-the-road.