New York Dining Experiences

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very much appreciated the recommendations I received for Deli's in New York and have now moved on to great or unusual dining experiences. When we were in Florida we were recommended to Bern's steakhouse and it was a truly memorable occasion both for ambiance and food. Can anyone suggest some venues for New York. Any price range from inexpensive to fairly expensive.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:08 AM

The absolutely best place for NYC dining recommendations is chowhound.com . If you dan't find it there, ask--they'll have answers.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Sofie, you'll have to refine you words "great or unusual dining experiences" quite a bit more. There are literally hundreds that fill the bill, especially with your added comment of "any price range from inexpensive to fairly expensive."
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:14 AM

Chowhound's a good resource but I actually prefer the inputs from regular Fodorites and was never personally fond of the browsing function of CH. I also found citysearch ratings to be very helpful for NY (unlike many cities like my hometown of LA).

I was able to hit several touristic choices in just 4 days--Babbo, Le Bernardin, Grimaldi, Lombardi, Joe's Shanghai, Tao, Serendipidity, Balthazar, H&H Bagel, Zabar and a couple more I can't readily recall from 11/03. Yeah, I tried to go for a very broad dining experience in NY. And I have to say that I was satisfied by just about every one of them...and I'm picky!

If I had to choose my two favorites, it would have to be Le Bernardin for the exquisite food and fabulous service, and Cafe Lalo (UWS) for its fun, lively atmosphere. Yeah the last one's sort of cheesy...they filmed the cafe scene from You've Got Mail there (but you can hardly tell). But hey, I had a good time with friends and their extensive list of desserts was amazing!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM

Try the Delta Grill. It is a cajun restaurant - casual, excellant food and great prices ! They have everything from the usual cajun dishes to wonderful Po Boys (enough for two and costs about $12), and my friends had steaks there which would rival any steakhouse (the most expensive thing on the menu by the way and it was about $22-24 I think).
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM
GoTravel

I like Daniel, Gramercy Tavern, Babbo, and my favorite, March.

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:45 PM

My favorite is Cafe Napoli on Mulberry in Little Italy. The food is wonderful, I love the Sangria and I love to sit there and watch the people and feel the vibe.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM

For a "New York" experience go to Sardi's in the theatre district and the 21 Club at 21West 53rd. I also liked Joe Allen's with autographed pictures from celebrities, such as Liza Minnelli, who have dined there.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:04 PM
emd

Tribeca Grill is very good. Used to like Bobby Flay's place Mesa Grill but have heard it has slipped. We ate at an excellent (and reasonable) thai place in the heart of Tribeca when we went to the Tribeca Art festival last spring, will think of the name. I love Judson Grill- they have the best wine stewards I've ever experienced there and food is very good, yum. Happening bar there too but you can avoid it and still have a fun, lively, great meal if you want.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Regarding the comment about the pictures at Joe Allen, even more interesting is that the entire place is covered with Broadway show posters, but you might notice that most don't look familiar. The reason is that the one thing they all have in common is that they are all Broadway flops -- not a successful show in the lot!! Kind of funny, I always thought.

While I enjoy having a drink at either the downstairs or upstairs bar at Sardi's it seems incredibly mediocre, over-priced, and strictly a tourist trap as a restuarant to me. That would also be confirmed by the fact that everywhere you look at ticket booking sites, programs, and everything aimed at tourists you will find ads for Sardi's.

21 Club is sort of a great New York experience, but hard to deny overpriced foodwise. They do a special three courses at lunch (great before a matinee) which used to be $21, but not sure it still is. You have to ask for the special menu or they probably wouldn't mention it to you. Most entrees at lunch start above that total price.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM

If you are looking for different, I'd second the Mesa Grill recommendation.

In addition, for really good pan-Latino, I like Chicama on East 18th Street. Try one of the Ceviches.

For some of the best French pastries west of Brittany, try Payard on Lexington at 73rd.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Experiences-well any restaurant with a view would be an experience. Unfortunately, many of them have overpriced or mediocre food. Some to consider
The Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center (seafood, a view of the ice rink in winter) Go to restaurantassociates.com for special offers.
The Rainbow Room-also at Rock. Center but high up & not open every day. Haven't eaten there in years but it's quite an experience & one of the few places left in NYC with a dance floor & a band. Go to http://cipriani.com/cipriani/Locs/ny.htmfor info
Foley's Fish House in the Renaissance Hotel in Times Square also has great views & good seafood.
The River Cafe is actually in Brooklyn & has dramatic views of the NY skyline. The food is very good. These are just a few "view" places with good to excellent food.

A place thta's rarely mentioned & is an experience IMO is Bayard's. It's all the way downtown in the finanacial district but it's housed in a really old building that was I think the India House, then a private club. Anyway, it's like going to a club. And the food's terrific (I think the chef was from Lutece & Bernardin.) These places are all expensive. In the less expensive area I'd try some of the ethnic food.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
mp

Ryan - Chicama has closed, and was replaced by Lucy - a mediocre Mexican barbeque restaurant. Around the corner, though, formerly with same ownership, but still good, is Pipa - excellent nuevo-latino tapas and drinks. It is tucked inside an expansive (and expensive) furniture/ accessories store - ABC Carpet. I suggest you shop there before you drink Pipa's delicious Sangria - otherwise you could get into big trouble . . .
Judson Grill is a great suggestion for a big, bold NYC midtown brasserie, the chef is very committed to using local produce - a great place in the spring and summer. Beacon on West 56th St. fits that bill, too.

For a certain type of NY experience - lots of pretty people, good but not great food, a smattering of celebrities, questionable service, try Pastis or Balthazar, or if you're really eager for the scene, Schiller's Liquor Bar on the lower east side. Other memorable NYC places - Shopsins on Carmine Street - a neighborhood joint run by a cranky ex-hippie with a sure hand in the kitchen - usually has well-known New York writers/directors/actors. Certainly dim sum can be great NY experience - try Pings or Dim Sum a Go-Go. For a sophisticated, cool as ice Japanese place - Bond Street has delicious, if pricy, sushi. For an intimate, romantic room with delicious and very fresh food, try Savoy in Soho.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Guess that's what I get for not checking the noteworthy closings section of Zagats. Too bad, I thought Chicama made really good ceviche.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM

I rec. The Lever house.The atmosphere is great and so is the food,but it is
on the expensive side
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:41 AM

I'd suggest avoiding Schiller's until it calms down a bit unless you like being stepped on and having someone's butt in your face while you're trying to eat. It's WAY too crowded (but what does one expect from the people who brought us Pastis).