Reload this Page >

New York clothes help-I'm desperate!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:26 AM
stephanie

Here's my story. I'm going to Montreal for the weekend with my husband's boss and wife. There's not much action on the Canadian board so I figure the clothes issue will be similar for Montreal as it would be for New York. I'm a stay at home mom and don't have a lot of dress up clothes. The plan is shopping for a day and a couple of dinners out - one casual and one more fancy. I'm desperate for help with what to wear (got to impress the boss's wife). I'm guessing you will tell me I can't wear a nice pair of navy khakis with a sweater and spring 3/4 jacket for shopping day? I know your sick of the clothing question but I really do need help!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Crystal

Wear whatever you want shopping - wear what you feel comfortable in

As for dinner - black pants and a nice top always do the trick -

Don't stress about clothes

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:47 AM
CocoChanel

Stephanie:
Go out & buy a good pair of black pants for the shopping day & casual dinner. (Bag the khakis & the spring jacket) Go through your closet & see if you can come up with at least one top for these pants. You could possibly wear a sweater for the shopping excursion. Get yourself a slightly sexy/cute one for the casual dinner. The same shoes will do for shopping & casual dinner - NO GYM SHOES!
Now, you will need a skirt or dress for the fancier dinner - anything in your closet that will do? If not, get out the credit card, honey, you will need to shop.
Also, do you have any jacket/coat that will do? It will be chilly at night.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:51 AM
kate

Hi stephanie,
We go to Montreal all the time, and live in NYC. The dress is very much the same. It will be a little too cool to wear khakis and a spring anything!, I would recommend cotton turtlenecks, and corduroys or casual pants for days, and black at night, trousers and a nice top or sweater. You will be walking a lot, it can be cold and windy on those side streets or down by the water. Take a comfortable pair of shoes for the day.
For fancy anywhere, I take my trusty black pants suit-the pants can be worn the less fancy night with just a sweater.
Have fun, it is a lovely city.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:53 AM
kate

Lol Coco, I posted at the same time as you, I needn't have-you gave excellent advice, especially the shopping part

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Sarah

In the fall and winter, I wear a lot of black. It is timeless and matches everything else.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Donatella

If you are relatively young, in good shape and have a nice figure this is what I think you should be wearing:
outfit for shopping: a nice pair of black knit slacks that are slightly flared or boot cut, a good quality turtleneck sweater in a color that complements your skin color, a black leather jacket (3/4 is more versatile), a pair of comfortable black leather boots with at least a 1" heel, and a matching bag of course. Opt for a nice pair of earrings as an accesory. This is a casual yet sophisticated look for anyone. For the casual dinner you can still wear the above, but change the top to either a silky and shimmery blouse or a cashmere sweater. Again, wear a flattering color and a different pair of earrings. A coordinating scarf would look good with this look. As for the more formal dinner, that depends on whether or not you prefer slacks, skirts, or dresses. Opt for a pantsuit in again, a flattering color, that you can dress up with shoes and accessories. The same idea works with a skirt and blouse or a simple A line style dress. I say less is more. Wear something that falls properly on your body and is in a flattering color and you can't go wrong. When you are comfortable in what you are wearing you feel confident and you look great. It shows.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:15 AM
nina

Stephanie, I don't live in the city, just outside of it, but I do go in a lot for shopping and dinner.

As usual, coco gave great advice, just make sure the black pants are longer (not cropped), flared bottoms and lower on the hip. Much more up to date. It's actually fairly chilly this weekend so a nice sweater or turtleneck would be purfect, and if you have a nice scarf that would dress things up.

Also if you have any suede or leather pants, those would look great. Some heeled boots would look nice with the pants, and definitely 86 the Spring coat. See if you can get a simple, 3/4 a line coat, (they have some decent ones at Banana Republic and the Gap at a great price, in black). Otherwise, Shearling coats are really in this year, and believe it or not I just picked one up at TJ Maxx for $ 129.

I might stick with pants at night too, depending on the weather. If it's cold, I hate wearing dresses in the city. Maybe you can find a shear sweater or lace long sleeve blouse over a camisole to dress up the pants.

Have fun, and remember, some of us are never sick of the clothing questions!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Diva

Donatella I absolutely agree with your great advice that fit and color are the key to looking good. Trendy is difficult to wear and the look doesn't last long anyway. Classic lines and tailoring are always in style and it crosses body type and age lines. Don't forget to keep your posture straight, smile, and be an interested listener. That goes a long way also.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
stephanie

Thank you! Donatella-I don't have those kind of clothes-you're scaring me! How's this..I have a grey/black pair of wool type slacks with a gray turtleneck sweater and a black "pea" type coat for shopping. Then I have either black wool pants or a long black wool skirt with a black turtleneck and a cranberry type "suede" look jacket for nice dinner?
I don't have boots - would casual black loafers with socks be ok for the shopping outfit and a pair of pumps be ok for the dinner outfit? Now how about the flying part? Can I wear the same black pea coat with a pair of cords?
I'm getting there-thank you so much.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:39 AM
xxx

The pants will be fine as long as they are not "pleated in the front, cuffed at the bottom with a knife edge crease" type pants. Can you buy the boots? I've seen them for under $50. The loafers scream 'soccer mom'.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:43 AM
fashionistas

Stephanie, I would wear the long black skirt over the slacks. You don't have boots? Where do you live? If it's not down south, now might be a good time to buy a pair. If you have a tight budget, maybe you could tell your husband that you need to look good for his job!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:48 AM
CocoChanel

Steph: I agree with the previous posters about the boots - get yourself a pair for the long skirt. You WILL wear them again, I promise.
Also, Donatella gave great advice regarding accessorizing - pick up a scarf or two for the outfits, as well as a pair of eye-catching earrings.
Voila, you're ready to go. Have fun.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
NYFashion designer

Unless you are under 25 yo, I wouldnt wear the pea coat (a bit too casual for shopping). The black pants will be your friend on this trip. Pair them with your grey turtleneck sweater (add a silk scarf if you have one) with your long black coat for shopping (I feel self conscious if I am dressed too casusal when I go shopping (SoHo or Mad. ave) This will also take you to to a casual dinner without having to stop to change. Unless your loafers are JP Tod's or are slim with a high gloss, Id try a different shoe-dressy but comfortable (I know, every NY woman's quest) As for a dinner w/ yr husband's boss Long black skirt with black sweater black hose and black heels are a safe bet. Or, in your shopping day- you might come across a nice Dian Von Ferstenberg dress- those are so great for dinners out and go with virtually any shoe. Good Luck

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Susan

Stephanie, I have a suggestion: Wear the blk pants w/ the blk turtleneck & your blk jacket on the plane & for shopping. Go out & buy a pair of black flat or 1 inch heel ankle boots (leather...Anne Klein makes a nice one). Sometimes referred to as a "pant boot". They actually go above your ankle! Forget the grey "wool type" pant & grey turtleneck. Depending on the cut of the boots you may be able to wear the boots @ night w/ light weight black tights and your long blk. skirt. I think a nice crisp white shirt wld. be great w/ your skirt for dinner. But I wld. tend to go with pants for dinner too. White shirt, pants w/ a bit of flare @ the bottom and a long black cardigan...pants & cardigan in a knit fabric. Or a blk. knit short sleeved/sleeveless sweater instead of the white shirt in the same fabric as the pants & sweater. I saw a nice one by Liz Claiborne last week.

Personally, I don't like the cranberry w/ the black & I wld. prefer not to see the "suede" like fabric w/ the wool skirt...the fabric textures won't work together.

I wish I could see your closet! I am sure we cld. pull some things together. If I think of anything else I will check back here later. Somebody in an earlier post here said :Wear what you are comfortable in! I agree with that! You know what your favorite things are! And, remember you are going shopping in Montreal. So you will probably find your dinner outfit there!
Have fun!
Susan

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:35 AM
stephanie

So should I wear the black long all-weather coat (not really an all-weather coat but you know what I mean) for everything? Otherwise I'll be packing an extra coat for the weekend? Oh God..I'm stressing..I have boots but they're the kind you wear with a winter coat - flat black leather but not stylish. I'm heading out to buy a new pair. I'm 45 yrs. old and don't own a pair of flare pants! and I wouldn't know where to buy a potato sack if my life depended on it!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Donatella

Stephanie, I recommend that you invest in a pair of black leather boots with at least a 1" heel. If you live near a Payless Shoe Store, Target, or Wal-Mart, you can get a pair for about $30.00. DSW Shoe Warehouse is your best bet, but you will pay at least $50.00. However it's well worth the investment. DSW also sells better quality. I don't think you should wear the loafers, pumps, pea coat, suede look jacket, or cords. The black wool pants would probably work with the gray turtleneck as long as the texture and weight of the turtleneck can hold up to the texture and weight of the pants. By this I mean you don't want to pair a lightweight nylon cotton blend turtleneck with wool. Tie a print scarf around your neck with the slacks and the turtleneck to add a little color, and don't forget a pair of earrings. The long black wool skirt can be worn with the black turtleneck as long as (again) the texture and weight can hold up to the texture and weight of the skirt. Wear the turtleneck out if it has a nice hem and then add a wide belt. Belts are very popular now. You won't have a problem finding an affordable one. This look works very well with the black leather boots. Add earrings. For more formal dining you can pair either pair of slacks with a silky shimmery blouse in a color that looks good on you. As for a coat, another good investment would be either a classic wool camel coat or black leather. Length depends on your height. Any chance you have a family member or close friend that will allow you to raid their closet? Belts, scarves, and earrings go a long way in dressing up any look.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:37 AM
NYGirl

I do like the suede with the wool, that is because I like mixing different textures though
Velvet is big again this year, maybe go to Ann Taylor or something near you and get a nice velvet top or shirt and wear that at night with the black wool pants. It would dress it up, days you can wear velvet with jeans for a more bohemian look.
Boots are a must this year, might as well buy them now-you will anyway!
Pea coats are ok for casual shopping, Montreal is young , you will be surrounded by university students shoppping also. No need to buy a special coat just for shopping.
It will be chilly though, remember scarves gloves, layers!
have a good time!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:50 AM
stephanie

You guys are good-wish I could raid your closets! I'm off on a mission-black boots with 1"heel and a new coat. I'm 5'11" tall so it's hard to find nice clothes that fit.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:58 AM
CocoChanel

Steph: I'm 5'11" too - we can wear the long skirts beautifully! Honey - play up your height - tall can get away with a lot - we can wear oversized jewelry, long coats/skirts/sweaters.
Can't stand to see tall women wearing little girl clothes (Laura Ashley).
Be bold! Be proud of your height and DO NOT SLOUCH (this is your mother speaking)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -