New York City Reservation Services

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Debbie

New York City Reservation Services

Hi, I was trying to find a hotel reservation service for NYC.I some
hotel descriptions it say's 5 blocks
away from WTC. I can only assume this
hotel is not open for service.Don't mean to sound foolish but I've never been to NYC and don't know what hotels are still open.Can anyone make
any suggestions?

Oct 27th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Howard

Yes, a couple of the hotels in the WTC area are now closed or non-existant. Otherwise all hotels in NYC are now open. However, if you're coming as a tourist, you'd probably want to stay in the mid-Manhattan area, which is a few miles from the WTC. And, in that area, you've hundreds to choose from!

Oct 27th, 2001, 02:51 PM
av

Hi,
there are a host of hotel web sites. Go to hopitality.com. Use foders hotel list for NYC, it's very helpful. You can get a deal on priceline.com. Go to biddingfortravel.com to learn how to get the best hotel for your money. Have a great time!!

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Debbie

Howard and Av, Thanks for your replies!Any suggestions for hotel choices? There's soooo many! I appreciate your help.Thanks again.

Oct 27th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Celeste

A friend of mine is staying in a sumptuous suite at the Waldorf Astoria Towers in NYC right now for $69 per night and a $20 "tip" to the front desk person. That's usually about $600 to $800 per night - see what's available?

Oct 27th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Howard

Two questions: When are you coming? How much do you want to spend?
The dates of your trip will determine what you'll pay. For example, don't look for bargains over the year-end holidays.

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Debbie

Hi,Thanks for the 'heads up' Celeste on the Waldorf Astoria Towers.I'll check it out.
Howard,I want to go Nov.9-11 or 12th. I don't mind spending a couple hundred a night. I saw good reviews for the Doubletree Suites at 1568
Broadway and the Hotel Beacon at
2130 Broadway. Anyone know of the
Skyline Hotel at 725 Tenth Ave. at
49th st.? Any help would be great.
Thanks!!

Oct 28th, 2001, 12:36 PM
sue

The Shearton Towers and the Hilton on Ave of the Americas are both beautiful hotels. Check out their weekend rates listed in the Sunday travel sections of major newspapers. Both hotels are located near all the tourist sites in Midtown. Quikbook.com is a great site for rates. Check out the schedule of events for the weekend you are visiting at nycvisit.com they list local events like parades and street fairs - they are lots of fun.

Oct 28th, 2001, 03:18 PM
CM in Biloxi

Debbie,

I got a room at the Marriott East Side on Lexington and 49th for $80 through Priceline. I might have been able to get it lower than that but I'm just glad I got what I did. Rack rates are insanely high. Good luck and have fun.

Oct 28th, 2001, 06:32 PM
lisa

Debbie: The Doubletree Suites and the Beacon are both fine hotels, but very different and in very different neighborhoods. The Doubletree is a large chain hotel and is situated in the heart of Times Square. The rooms are nice.

The Beacon is a smaller, boutique-y type hotel. It will have more unique decor, but may have smaller rooms. It is on the Upper West Side -- more of a residential neighborhood -- but near Central Park, Lincoln Center, lots of good restaurants.

I've never heard of the Skyline, but I wouldn't recommend 49th and 10th Avenue as a location for a first-time visitor. That's Hell's Kitchen and, while 9th Avenue has lots of great ethnic restaurants, 10th is kind of a no-mans-land. You won't be close to any of the things you want to see -- theatre district, Times Square, shopping, or Central Park.

Oct 28th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Bonnie

Last time we went to New York we used quickbook.com and got a great deal at one of the New York Hemsley Hotels near Grand Central Station. It worked out really well for us.

Oct 29th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Debbie

Thanks everybody for the great responses!Just one more ???. I
was wondering if there was any
thing on the Seaport side of Manhattan? I was looking at the
Best Western Seaport.It's on the
water side (or is that Harbor side)
Any comments on this hotel/location?

Oct 29th, 2001, 08:51 AM
lisa

Debbie: I work near the Seaport and have seen the Best Western, but am not really familiar with this property. There is also a hotel called Seaport Suites nearby.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this location for a short visit to Manhattan. The Seaport is a touristy mall at the very Southern end of Manhattan (near Wall Street). About the only sites you will be close to are Wall Street, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (which I think are still closed), Chinatown/Little Italy, and the former WTC site. Everything else will be a cab ride away.

While more and more people are beginning to live downtown, it is much more deserted at night than midtown and there aren't many restaurants that are open in the evening. There is little shopping (except for a few chain stores at the Seaport itself). Basically, unless you are here on business and have meetings downtown, I'd skip it.

Oct 29th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Debbie

Hi Lisa, THanks for your reply.I was looking at both places you mentioned
and I'm glad you let me know it's not a convienent spot to stay in.
I'm coming in by bus and wanted to know if a taxi was the only way to get to my hotel from the Bus Station?!! Thanks so much everybody!

Oct 29th, 2001, 07:47 PM
CM in Biloxi

Debbie,

I stayed at that Best Western Seaport and it is great. The rooms are huge and I had a great view of the bridge. There is also a great bar/restaurant right down the street that is a "locals" place. But, unless you are there for business downtown or going only to the Seaport, it is out of the way. Also, South STreet Seaport area is very overrated. If you absolutely must have a mall atmosphere while in NYC, that's the place to be. Otherwise, spend your time elsewhere.

Good luck!

Oct 29th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Debbie

Hi,and thanks for all your responses
but I have another question.I found
a hotel called Martinique on Broadway. I guess it's a Holiday Inn. It's located on Broadway and
32nd street. ANyone know of this hotel? ANy comments or recommedations for this place?

Search this Thread