Search

New York City - July or August?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City - July or August?

Hi Everyone,

My teenager wants to go shopping in New York this summer to get "cool" school clothes, and I'm thinking of going in either July or August. When will hotel rates be cheaper? I'm going to try a Priceline bid, but want to keep the hotel costs down. Will rates be cheaper because it's "deader" in August?

Any suggestions ? Thoughts re cool, inexpensive places to shop?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I'd vote for the second half of August. The town is dead until Labor Day, so hotel rates will be lower, and you're less likely to run into steaming-hot days.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM

It will help if you post whether you have a girl or boy and the age to get store recs. I agree with anonymous that the last two weeks can be very quiet, but it can still be hot and humid. How long will you be here? I'm wondering if a day trip to Woodbury Commons outlets would be right for you?

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM

In NYC, Priceline only guarantees a room with 1 bed for 2 people so a heads up if this won't work for you. Given the current state of the economy though, there have been great deals available on quikbook.com, travelzoo.com and elsewhere but it will be too early to see special sales now for the summer I think.

There are some new chain hotels (Hampton Inn, Four Points, Holiday Inn Express) in trendy areas of Soho and Tribeca which have had good prices.

If you're looking for fall merchandise, it's not generally in the stores until mid August. One of the best times to come in previous years has been the last week in August leading into Labor Day weekend. Labor Day comes late this year (Sept. 7).

Would be helpful to know the age and sex of your teen and where you live so we don't offer chains you might have nearby. H & M, Abercrombie, Urban Outfitters, Gap, J Crew, Old Navy are some of the typical chains. As a visitor you can get an 11% discount at dept. stores like Macy's, Bloomingdales.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. My child is a girl age 15 - we live in D.C., so have all the chains (Abercrombie, Urban Outfitters, etc). She's looking for small stores, unique to New York. She did mention Roxy Quicksilver on Broadway, so that will be one of our stops/