Reload this Page >

New York City Hotel Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Kim Carlberg

First time traveling to New York City at the end of Feb 2002 with husband and another couple and would love your recommendations on reasonably ($110-$140) priced hotels. We will be staying 5 days and are looking to stay in the Theater District or in Midtown.

Have a couple of hotels - Wellington, Helmsley NY, Metropolitan, Edison and Novotel - any thoughts or other recommendations?

Thanks!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:17 PM
av

Hi,
We just returned from NYC this past week, we stayed at the Hilton on 6th(aka Ave.of the Americas) we paid 85.00 per night, it was a steal. Regular price is 150.00 and up. We got this thru priceline.com. I reccomend you try this. We had a wonderful trip. In NYC, location is everything. This hotel is in Midtown, and a few blocks fr; theartre distict. I highly recommend in Midtown rather that theatre district. Midtown is a much better location. Central Park is 2 blocks away, Rockefeller is 2 blocks away, shopping is 2 blocks away, this is a great location. Remember, Location, location, location!!!!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Donna

Another good resource is Hotwire. I'm always nervous about paying first and finding out the hotel after, but I've always been pleased with the results (especially yesterday when I booked four nights in June). With Hotwire and Priceline, you can book a much nicer hotel for a much lower rate.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:26 AM
mimi

We go to NYC at least once a year and often twice. We have tried many hotels and booked directly through 800 numbers and asked for specials. This last time we used Quikbook online and were happy with their policy. We stayed at the Algonquin which was running a winter special and instead of $259 we spent only $129. a night. If you like a historical hotel with a great atmosphere this is the place. It is within walking distance to the theater and all of the good NYC shopping. We have also been reading about the remodeled Belvedere on 47th. and we noticed that they have rooms for even less money. Think we will give it a try in March. You also can't go wrong with a Helmsley for we have stayed at her Windsor Hotel and found it very well run. The Edison and the Wellington are very old, good locations, with very very small rooms. They would be my last choices for you can do better at a hotel with more stars.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Rachel

I am not a fan of Hotwire or Priceline since we frequently have to change dates or cancel on short notice. And because you don't find out exacly where you are staying until you are financially committed. I have used Quikbook.com for major cities, including NYC with great success. Also, a decent hotel with a great location and usually a matching great price, is the Roosevelt. Its accross the street from Grand Central Station so everything is easily accessible. Also, note that NYC is having a great special...spend $500 and the City gives you a pair of theater tickets. I think its called paint the town red white and blue. call their tourism office.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Merilee

Hi Kim...there's a wonderful European style boutique hotel called the Gorham that I think would be a great place to stay during your first trip to NYC...It's on West 55th Street and you can walk to theaters, museums, 5th Avenue, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, St.Patrick's Cathedral and so much more from there...it's a nice area with shops and restaurants...if you go before March you can get a deluxe room for $139.00 and a suite for $159.00...Suites have whirlpool baths...all in all it's a luxurious experience. Check out their website.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Francesca

Stayed at the Gorham a few weeks ago and it was great. We had a suite and it was beautiful. Bathroom had a whirlpool and was stocked with toiletries and plush robes. The weather was warm for New York and we walked everywhere although you're so close to everything you can still walk bundled up against the cold. Highly recommend this hotel. Have also stayed at Hilton and Marriot Marquis. Not nearly as nice as Gorham. Carnegie Deli is great place to eat overstuffed sandwiches. You'll be right around the corner from it.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
John Kearns

Hi Kim, I have friends who stay at the Edison all the time and they like it. From the list you provided I would probably choose the Novotel. It's in an excellent location near Times Square, Central Park, shopping, restaurants etc. Also near most major subway lines. My friend who stays there has never had a problem.
Good luck and have fun on your visit to my home town.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:37 AM
kate

KIM:

well u have come to the right place to visit. I just came from from Ny and midtown manhattan is the place to go. Try looking the HILTON NY...great place to stay and its close to theater district. that is where me and my family stayed and we had the time of our live it was 143-149 a night. have fun and go to times square is just steps away.. reply back to me for more questions ill be glad to answer them..