Reload this Page >

New Years in Florida

Search

New Years in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1997, 10:51 AM
Rita

New Years in Florida

I am spending Christmas cruising the Caribbean and arrive back in Ft Lauderdale on the 30th of December. We don't leave Florida until the 4th of January * does anyone have a suggestion as to where to go and stay for the four days. We're looking for a beach, good food and rest. Any suggestions? We will drive somewhere as long as we can get there in a day. Thanks

Old Nov 1st, 1997, 02:53 PM
Joe Ferris

You might drive over and stay on Marco Island (just south of Naples.) Great beach and also great restaurants. Try the Olde Marco Inn, Konrads, Pelican Bend, and Arturos. There are a lot more, but these are the best. Let me know how you like it if you go.

Old Nov 7th, 1997, 02:47 PM
mark

Do me a favor go to the Orange Bowl on New Years night. Was there 4 years ago for national championship. You can get tickets right outside the game cheap dont beleive the news It was great

Old Nov 8th, 1997, 09:49 AM
Allen

Disney World has opened a new nighttime resort area called "Downtown Disney." There are great restaurants there like Wolfgang Puck's, Bongos Cuban Cafe, House of Blues, among others. There are lots of shops and things to see there. Also, it is not that far from Daytona Beach if you wanted to spend a day there. There is no admission for "Downtown Disney" (except for Pleasure Island -- which is really cool). If you decide to come out, come see me at Virgin Megastore and tell me what you think. Enjoy your holidays and your mini vacation.

Old Nov 15th, 1997, 05:31 PM
Sharon

two suggestions: 1. stay in Ft. Lauderdale at Marriott's Harbor Beach if you can get in. One of the few hotels that are right on the beach and not across A1A. Beautiful oceanside pool and beach service. Lots of top notch restaurants: Mark's Las Olas, California Cafe (with the Forbes Yacht Highlander usually docked outside), Downunder something...very worldly and very urbane.
2. Drive across Alligator Alley (I-75) (those are realio,trulio alligators you see sunning themselves along the road: the fence courtesy of your federal government) and in about 2-2 1/2 hrs. you can be in Sanibel/Captiva Islands. My suggestion for the best range of accomodation is South Seas Plantations which has all levels of rooms (might have 3 night minimum) and great restaurants. Mad Hatter restaurant is right on the beach as is the Mucky Duck but they both have sophisticated menus though the Mad Hatter takes it's name sort of too much to heart sometimes. How is scallops in white chocolate sauce to remind you of Alice in Wonderland? It actually is quite tasty and not nauseating at all (my first reaction) This place is the spiritual opposite of Ft. Lauderdale: laid back, old money Vs. new money (not really but just an attitude of not flaunting it), totally casual: you won't see too many rhinestone mules and gold chains which you actually still do see it Ft. Lauderdale. I like both places, but they are very different.