New Year's Eve in NYC

Search

New Year's Eve in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve in NYC

If any of you are traveling to NYC over the holidays, I wanted to let you know that there is a wonderful FREE concert on New Year's Eve at St. John the Divine (110th and Amsterdam). It is the annual Concert for Peace, with 200 singers, full orchestra and guest staring is Lauren Flannigan (Met Opera),

The chorus is doing Beethoven's 9th Symphony and Brahms "Nanie" (yup that's me on the end of the soprano section with the red hair).

Last year several Fordorites took me up on an offer of tickets for the concert and I would be HAPPY to have anyone come. You would get special seating with friends and family, behind the chorus so you have great seats.

The concert is hosted by Harry Smith (CBS Early Mornining show.

It's a lovely evening of music and sharing. The concert starts at 7pm and we are usually out by 9ish so you can plan more festivities for the evening.

So if this sounds like fun, please let me know and I will get enough tickets for anyone interested.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

topping again as New Year's is just 3 weeks away.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

One last topping of this post. If you are going to be in NYC and would like tickets, please let me know.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

We start rehearsals Sunday night so New Year's is just around the corner.

Happy Holidays to all our Fodor's friends!!!!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 08:24 AM

I'd like to attend the New Year's Eve concert at St. John's. I would need (2) tickets for my husband and I.

I am not sure if I need to email you or if posting a message is the way to go.

Please let me know & thank you for this opportunity. I am looking forward to it!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Wantsomesun: Wish I could be there for the concert. St. John the Divine is a beautiful space and I love visiting there when I'm in the city. Thank you for making this offer--if I could make, I would be humming the alto part in the audience.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Two tickets no problems. We can meet up outside the Cathedral just before the concert starts. I will be there most of the day for rehearsal, then we get a dinner break, and warm up before the concert starts.

The concert starts at 7pm and we should be done by 9ish.

There are usually more than 2,000 people in the Cathedral and the end of the concert everyone has a candle and we sing, it is so memorable and a great way to ring out the old year and ring in the new.

Anyone else?
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

to the top one last time.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:13 AM
GoTravel

wantsomesun, thank you for taking the time to not only post this but for keeping up so everyone can read the information.

I just wanted to tell you that your efforts are not wasted and that the concert sounds fantastic!

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM

A change of plans has my wife and I in NYC over New years. Would love to be at the Concert if there are 2 tickets left?

If so, let me know how to contact you;if not, thanks anyway.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

YES tickets are still available. Just let me know how many you might need and we can meet up (as several people did last year) just outside the Cathedral just before the concert.

Again, I will be at the Cathedral for most of the day, so if you want to come by early, you can even get a sneak peak of the dress rehearsal, and then head out to dinner before the concert.

We get a dinner break about 5pm, and you are WELCOME to come have dinner with us at a local place.

I'm easy to spot in the crowd, I'll be at the end of the soprano section, (as you face the chorus it will be to your left), with short red hair. I'd say I will be dressed in Black, but ALL of us will be in black, lol.

The message of this concert I think will be even more important, in light of the now 60,000 who lost their lives in the Asian countries affected by the Tsunami.

So far that's 8 tickets and counting, just let me know how many more we need.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Wantsomesun--that's terrific!!

I'll stop by the Cathedral a little before 5pm. If for some reason they are holding a closed rehearsal, and I can't enter, I'll wait for you in front of the main doors when you break.

I'm about 6'3", and will wear a black jacket & red scarf.

We really appreciate the tickets and are excited to be able to be there.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Why don't you come and join a bunch of us for dinner before the concert, maybe we can make it a tiny Fodors GTG, lol.

The church will be open, if anyone asks you, you are looking for one of the singers, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Trust me it will be warmer IN the Cathedral than outside. Also dress warmly, the Cathedral isn't all that warm either come of think of it, lol.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:15 PM

I don't think i'll be able to make dinner, but i'd still like to go to the concert. Will that be possible. Thanks for all your help. just let me know what I's need to do to find you.
Thanks again!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:05 PM

wantsomesun, As I am in California I cannot take advantage of your beautiful offer but I just want to comment that it is people like you that make Fodors a special place. A truly special invitation.

Wishes for a Happy New Year and many joys in 2005..
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Well wantsomesun, if ever NEED some sun, you are more than welcome here at our house in Ft Lauderdale! That is so very generous of you to offer this wonderful opportunity. I WISH I could be there...it sounds fabulous and what a way to spend New Years! Happy and safe New Year to you!
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi gang, well, plans have changed for me and I am not doing the concert this year, I have to be out of town, however, the concert I have heard from friends that are singing, is going to be one of the best ever.

Lauren Flannigan is performing and there is a world premiere of a new piece of orchestra/choral music written by Glen Corsese, that is beautiful.

So if you are planning on going to the concert, you will not have a problem getting in, just walk into the cathedral and ask where you can pick up a ticket. The concert is FREE and a great way to start off the new year.

This is the first time in 7 years that I can not make the concert, but I know you will enjoy it and I will miss being there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:24 PM

Unfortunately I checked the board shortly before you posted, so I was surprised when I got to the Cathedral at 5pm and was told the "red head didn't come tonite".

The good news is that most of the choir was there, and were very nice and gave me two tickets. So I was set.

I do wonder what the others did who were planning to meet you before the concert and found that you don't "just walk in and ask for a ticket". The line for free general admissions begins forming 2 hrs in advance.

For everyone out there, it was a great concert, terrific spirit, and a wonderful way to prepare for the new year.