Search

New to Maui..help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 03:29 PM
Jan

New to Maui..help!

We are planning a trip to Maui..have no idea where to stay... what part of the island is best?...we want to be on a nice beach, with good swimming...we want our accomodations to be right on the beach...throw in a little shopping and some nice restaurants and I would be happy. Thanks

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Rick

We like the Kaanapali area ourselves..it
gets less rain than other parts, The beach is one of the best in maui..and you cant beat it for the shopping, retaurants, and other activities..Some will say the Kihei/Wailea area,,and yes that is also a great area but doesnt have the "nightlife" like the Lahaina /Kaanapali area.Their are several great hotels right on the beach to choose from..probably the best IMO is the Hyatt..
Feel free to e mail with any other questions have been there several times,, in fact leaving again in 6 days
ALOHA

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 06:24 PM
mrweather

Kaanapali gets more rain than Wailea (14-17 inches annually versus 4-10 for Wailea), though that's a pretty nominal difference.
Rick's right that the stereotype is Kaanapali has more 'nightlife' and a higher concentration of restaurants and shopping.
Wailea is quieter with the best hotels. Though the Grand Wailea itself is kind of a concentrated community of restaurants, pools and activities.
In general, if you're looking for lots of activity, Kaanapali's probably gonna suit you best. For those seeking a relaxing getaway, Wailea's a better bet IMO.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:52 AM
Gordon

Hi Jan
We are frequent visitors to Maui (2-3 weeks per year).
We have found that South Kehie is the best to stay at. The beaches are right across the street from most of the condos. It is also the most reasonably priced area to stay at. There are several good restaraunts in the area. The golf courses in particular have good ones.
A car is necessary if you want to see Maui. I do not recommend the effort of going up Haleakala to see the sunrise or the long dangerous drive to Hannah
THe beaches in Kannipali are not the best as they have a rapid drop off in the ones we have gone to in the Kannipali area.
Best snorkeling and you do not have to pay is at Mile 17 (half way between Lahani and Kehei)
If you dive Lahani Divers and Maui Divers are both excellent dive operators.
The snorkle boat can be over priced if you go one one check out the best price (which locations they go to, how long they go for and what food they offer)
The island is beautiful but one word of caution if you rent a car do not leave any valuables in it as theft from autos is a big problem in some ares (they have patrols to safe gaurd visitors in some areas)
go and have fun

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Lori

Jan,
We always stay in the Kaanapoli area. It's close to Lahaina (about 5/6 miles) so it's very handy for shopping & nightlife. Also it's close to Whaler's Village with all the shops there. Kaanapoli is more "tropical"looking than Wailea as well, and in general just more "lively" I guess. Several major hotels, i.e. Hyatt, Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, etc. all are directly on the ocean and there are also many condo's along this stretch from Kaanapoli up to Kapalua. You might consider a condo, we always stay in one and it's directly on the ocean.

We've traveled to Maui about 14/15 times and have never found the road to Hana (it's spelled Hana, not Hannah) to be so terrible. Sure it's curvy, but the scenery is spectacular. If you don't drive like a crazy person and try and make time it's a very do-able and pleasurable trip with many places to stop and look at the ocean, waterfalls, etc. We go every time we are on Maui and leave about 8 a.m. - have lunch down in Hana, go to the beach, and come back later in the afternoon and are back in our condo before dark. I would not drive the road after dark tho. Halealaka is also well worth the trip, altho I would not get up at sunrise to do it. We always drive up and have had all sorts of weather from utterly spectacular to fog and rain. It's always fun tho.

If this is your first trip to Maui I would lean toward staying in Kaanapoli, second choice would be Wailea with Kihei last, it's overbuilt and basically has been turned into one long strip mall, so it's less attractive than other areas.