New Port Richey, FL -- November vaca visiting family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are going to visit his grandparents in November for 5 days, and would like suggestions for the surrounding areas, as the posts on this site have pretty much put a Black X on NPR regarding fun for a mid-20s couple. Can anyone provied info on St. P, Clearwater, Tampa, Amusment Parks, water activities that are within an hours drive? Also, is Disney too far to fit into a 5 day trip? Also, we are from Philly want activities focused on the SUN! Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:11 PM

I went to Port Richey to visit a friend.We drove to Clearwater Beach inless than an hour. However, while it was a beautiful white sand beach, I saw mostly familes with kids. Nightlife????
St. Pete was more interesting (about another 45 min.) Had dinner on the pier, went to Salvador Dali museum, and walked around downtown.
I did enjoy Tarpon Springs--which is quite close to your destination. Small but interesting with lot of history of sponge gathering industry by a large Greek population. Great Greek restaurant in middle of town--sorry I can't remember the name.
As I write this i realize all this doesn't
sound real exciting!!! I wish I had taken 2 days and gone to Disneyworld---however I had the responsibility to stay "with" the people I went there to visit
Goodluck-
PS Idid hear that Ybor City in Tampa area is interesting and would be about an hour drive..

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:19 AM
cd

We enjoyed Clearwater Beach. My husband's aunt and uncle live in NPR also, we chartered a fishing boat for an afternoon and the captain helped us learn to deep sea fish. Caught a lot of fish and took them back to his aunt and uncle on ice. I found the price to be reasonable and we had a lot of fun. A restaurant that has been recommended on this board is Frenchy's (I think that's it)
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Walt Disney World is about 2 hrs northeast of NPR, you could make a day trip if you leave early in the a.m. I think it's worth it. We live about a 1/2 hr north of NPR. There is a great french restaurant in Hudson (northside of NRP) called Isle de France that has fabulous, authentic french food.
There is also Busch Gardens in Tampa that would make a nice day trip from your location.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

A Belated thanks for your replies -- another question: what type of activities are okay for two older (80s) grandparents w/ limited mobility? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I honestly don't know what to do. We are trying to come up with activities we can all do together on the days we aren't at Busch Gardens (great idea!) and the Salvador Dali museam (didn't even know it existed!! thanks!) I think we're going to save Disney for when we have kids...I checked out the web-site, and there's so much I wan't to do! Thanks again!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:19 AM
jon

What do you mean by limited mobility? Are they in wheelchairs, or are they just slow walkers?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:39 AM
cd

If their mobility is limited I would stay with taking them out to dinner at a restaurnat on the water and request a window view. Clearwater Beach would be good and if their up to walking a little bit take them out on Pier 60 or if they are up to a cruise there are many boats that offer cruises out of the Marina there. For dinner check out:http://www.frenchysonline.com/rockaway.html Just make sure you place your arm thru their arm. If mobility is a problem, they are probably afraid of falling and falling could break bones.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

They use canes -- slow walkers.

Are there any good dinner cruises? cd sparked that idea -- thanks. Frenchy's looks pretty good - thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:21 PM
cd

Clearwater Beach offers sightseeing cruises, have never been on a dinner cruise, but you might want to check out: http://www.showqueen.com/
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:18 PM

For seniors that are slow walkers, I would suggest the Aquarium in Tampa. Or ... maybe they may have some suggestions ... like a nice drive to the beach with a walk along the water edge in the evening. Sunsets can be quiet beautiful if "Mother Nature" behaves.