New Orleans Trip Report

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans Trip Report

The wife & I traveled to New Orleans for a weekend to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We honeymooned there and often travel back but have not been since Katrina. We flew in and took a taxi to the Hotel Monteleone. The Hotel upgraded us to the Truman Capote Suite which was a real surprise. I cannot say enough about the Hotel & staff; everyone tried to make our big occasion perfect.

We arrived on Friday in time to make lunch at Galatoire’s. We arrived just in time to get one of the last tables downstairs. FX Bege was our waiter and I would recommend asking for him. It was a lively lunch crowd as you might expect on Friday. I have not eaten here in several years, but we really enjoyed the food, drink and atmosphere. This was a great way to start a New Orleans’s weekend.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping along Royal, walking around Jackson Square, and just hanging out in the Quarter. A few of the places that we used to frequent were closed, some had changed locations, but for the most part it was the same as before. Everyone had stories from Katrina and strong opinions about the recovery and the political aftermath. It was real interesting to hear it firsthand.

We went to NOLA’s for a late dinner. We had the chef’s tasting and the food was great.

Saturday was spent walking around the Quarter, checking out the Flea Market which is smaller now due to construction, shopping, and checking on people that we knew from previous trips. We ate a huge breakfast at the Coffee Pot so we skipped lunch. The waitress at the Coffee Pot sang us a song to celebrate our anniversary. She deservedly got a hand from the packed crowd. What a pleasant surprise! I almost forgot to add........the grits had no lumps.

We stopped by my wife’s favorite jewelry store, Lasting Indulgence, on Toulouse. We had a long conversation with the owner, Gloria, who is one of my favorites to visit with. Of course I snuck back later to buy the ring that my wife fell in love with as a memento for the occasion. After 40 years she deserved this!

As we crossed Jackson Square a real nice lady convinced us to take a buggy tour of the Quarter. We got a nice ride with some history mixed with Katrina stories. I recommend this especially for people new to the Quarter.

We stopped by the rotating bar at the Monteleone that afternoon. We found Parker who is one of our favorite bartenders. He was still there!

Saturday night we went to Restaurant August which was our first trip there. We did the Chef’s tasting with wine pairings. Good food and excellent service.

Sunday we went to the Palace Cafe for jazz brunch. The salad, soup, dessert, and appetizers were good but the entrees were weak. My taste buds were probably over whelmed by this time. I need to give them a second try.

There were plenty of other things that we did not get to do, but this was just a weekend trip. As you can probably tell we like to walk, shop, eat, chill out and not rush about trying to see & do everything. New Orleans is alive & well!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM

MrRip,

What a wonderful weekend!

May you celebrate many more anniversaries in NO.

Byrd
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Happy anniversary, MrRip. Thanks for the report. I am planning my visit in three weeks and will be staying at the Monteleone.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I also spent our honeymoon in New Orleans and went back last June for our 5th anniverary. I hope that in another 35 years, we too will be celebrating in New Orleans
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM
dmlove

Another great report that is going to make my trip-planning so much easier. MrRip, next year is our 35th -- we'll try to make it to NO to celebrate!

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words. New Orleans will always be special to me.