New Orleans Sights

Apr 20th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Melissa

New Orleans Sights

I am planning my first vacation to NO. Of course I plan on visiting Jackson Square, The French Quarter, Bourbon Street. I've been doing a lot of research on the net. I'm interested in some of the "haunted tours" cemetaries, plantations, etc. But I would really like to know if there are any other sights that aren't as widely publicized as the more common attractions, like maybe things that only locals are aware of? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apr 20th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Meg

The haunted tours are interesting and provide a lot of history about the French Quarter. There are also cemetary tours and tours of the Garden District which has incredibly beautiful old homes. If you are an Anne Rice fan at all, you can visit her homes. The one she lives in is in the Garden District. She also owns her family's Creole cottage on St. Charles and has restored St. Elizabeth's Orphanage which is uptown on Napoleon just off of St. Charles. Tours of her homes used to be offered but only on Mondays. I assume they are still offered but haven't heard anything about them in a while. St. Elizabeth's alone is worth seeing. I don't think you have to be on a tour to see it, but I don't think her other homes are open to the public except for the Monday tours. Check out her website for more info. Other things to do that I would recommend to a first timer are: riding the St. Charles streetcar all the way to the riverbend; visiting the Aquarium of the Americas (the new sea dragon exhibit is great); having beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde (for breakfast or after dinner treat - great place for people watching); eating a muffaletta from Central Grocery on Decatur; window shopping on Royal Street; or hunting for a treasure in the shops on Magazine Street which offers SIX MILES of unique shops. If you are interested in voodoo at all, there are voodoo tours and there is a practicing voodoo temple on Rampart Street that welcomes visitors. There is also a voodoo museum on Dumaine Street just riverside of Bourbon. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Apr 25th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Wendy

Laura Plantation up the Mississippi River & LeMonde Creole Tour in the French Quarter. These are not haunted tours but are VERY interesting and historically accurate.

Apr 25th, 2000, 03:48 PM
mary

Went on a Haunted Tour in October and found it to be excellent. 3 hours long and a very informative, personable guide. I still remember some of the stories told. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the tour but it did meet in front of the Voodoo Shop (you'll be able to find this easily). Also, Cafe Du Monde is a must!!!

May 16th, 2000, 05:46 AM
J.M.

I used to live outside New Orleans. It's an awesome city to visit, and there's lots to see and do.

It's kind of funny - in most big cities doing the tourist thing kind of sucks, because you miss a lot of the real essence of the city. Not so with New Orleans. Doing the tourist stuff, such as checking out Bourbon and Royal Streets (watch for pickpockets!), eating some of the incredible local food, soaking up the talent and atmosphere of the music joints, taking a tour of the cemeteries (go with a guided tour - pickpockets hang around the cemeteries to catch lone tourists unawares!), listening to or watching some of the street performers, etc etc is a great way to experience the Big Easy.

Other cool things to check out:
-some of the many galleries
-a ghost walk
-the French Market
-the Garden District (take a trolley ride down St. Charles Avenue)
-take a carriage ride
-check out the area known as Faubourg Marigny - nightclubs and restaurants with more locals than tourists.
-N.O. Museum of Art
-N.O. Historic Voodoo Museum
-City Park
-Mardi Gras World (has floats and displays that have been used in past Mardi Gras parades)
-Louisiana Nature Center
-Degas House (I believe this is the only US based residence of Edgar Degas)

I like this website:

www.bestofneworleans.com/index-wFrames.html

It should give you an idea of where to go and what to do in New Orleans.

ONE LAST THING: You can't miss the Jazz and Heritage Festival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This year it was held April 28-May 7. Look for a similar date for 2001.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread