Reload this Page >

New Orleans Plantation Homes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:33 AM
Dolores Grey

I see there are many plantation homes near New Orleans. Time will probably permit us to see only 5 or 6 ... what would your top choices be for beauty, interest, etc?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:03 AM
Allison

For a haunted mansion with history, I recommend the Myrtles Plantation www.myrtlesplantation.com.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Donna

Oak Alley, and Nottaway

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Delta

There aren't 5 or 6 worth seeing!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Howard

Put Oak Alley at the top of your list.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Jeanne

Hi Dolores,
Don't miss the Laura Plantation. We only got to visit two of these homes last year: Laura and Oak Alley. They couldn't have been more different. Oak Alley is beautiful and possibly everyone's dream of the ideal old Southern plantation home, with moss dripping off the oaks and chilled glasses of mint juleps for sale on the veranda. However, the tour was about as dull as dishwater. Maybe it was the guide, she was young and just repeated a memorized routine. However, the tour of Laura was really fun. It's unusual because it's a Creole plantation--bright yellow house, to begin with. It's only about 5 minutes away from Oak Alley, but a huge contrast in living styles. It's a great home with several outbuildings, including slave quarters, and we had one of the best guides ever, although I hear all the guides are good. They claim it's the home of the Br'er Rabbit (they call him "Compair Lapin"). Anyway, I highly recommend this plantation. I know you'd love it.