New Orleans Mid-City

Search

New Orleans Mid-City

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:30 AM
KATHY

New Orleans Mid-City

Hi,
One of the days that I am there I'm planning to spend the day at City Park and the New Orleans Museum of Art, then spend the evening at Mid-City Rock 'N Bowl. Are these 2 places near each other? Can anyone recommend a restaurant that is close to both of these places? I will not be renting a car when I am there, and don't want to spend a fortune on taxi's. So I am looking for a good restaurant that is in walking distance to at least one of these places.

Thanks,
Kathy

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Meg

City Park and Rock n'Bowl aren't far apart. Just head right on Carrollton when you leave the park and it will take you to Rock n' Bowl - maybe two miles down the road. As for places to eat, there are many places in the neighborhood, but I'm coming up blank on specifics other than Bangkok House and Gheghis Khan. K-Jean's is in the area and has good po-boys, but I'm not sure it's open for dinner. I would not advise walking around the area much after dark - it's a bit creepy. Hopefully, someone else (maybe John?) can make some recommendations on where to eat.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Julie

The cafe in the N.O. museum of art is very good. You would probably enjoy having lunch there. And if I am not mistaken about where R-n-B is located (Tulane at Carrolton?), there is a Thai restaurant just below. The Thai restaurant is excellent, the chef is from Thailand. Just across Carrolton on the corner of Tulane is Ghengis Khan. It serves Chinese and Korean food. It is good, but I prefer the Thai restaurant.

For other options, I would eat on Esplanade after leaving NOMA before going to R-n-B. On Esplanade the have restaurants near the Whole Food company. Such as Gabrielle's that is nice, a Japaenese Restaurant, several coffee shops like CC's and True Brew, and another nice restaurant just next to Wholefood Co. but I forgot the name.

P.S. Just in case you were not sure, NOMA is located in City Park.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:05 AM
RB

Have always been in NOLA during Jazz Fest (so maybe taxis are lower in price then) but I found taxis to be very reasonable and a great way to get around. Parking in many places is at a premium, and given the fun you'll have at the Rock'N Bowl, you probably will need to have someone else hold the steering wheel. Have a good time!

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Deb

Besides the restaurants others have mentioned already, thought you might also consider having your dinner AT Rock 'n' Bowl---they have a variety of choices, including local-style favorites. It's just such a unique and fun experience to be there, and I wasn't sure you knew they offered food along with the great music, fun bowling, and none-better people watchin'! Have a great time in N.O.

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:00 PM
John

Cage Indo and Fellini's are two of my favorites and both are on Carrollton between Mid City Lanes (RnB) and City Park/NOMA. There's also a new Mexican place called Ola! (I think) that was decent. North Carrollton isn't a bad area but I wouldn't walk around at night. Cab is a great idea.

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:05 PM
John

Typo Alert! Cage Indo is really Cafe Indo!

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:52 PM
KATHY

Meg, Julie, RB, Deb, and John:
Thank you all for the information.

There are a lot of oriental restuarants in the area so I am wondering if this is what would be called your Chinatown area?

Is the Cafe in NOMA Tavern On The Park or are these two different places?

Deb, I wasn't aware that R 'N B served food. Could you tell me more about their menu choices?

John, Could you tell me more about Cafe Indo and Felini's. As far as price and atmosphere what kind of restuarants are these? what kind of food do they serve?

Thanks,
Kathy

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:56 PM
John

Kathy, Cafe' Indo is the old Lemon Grass restaurant. Still Vietnamese/French and very good. Fellini's is the sister restaurant to Angeli on Decatur in the Quarter. Burgers, salads, pizzas along with some Mediterranean/Greek items as well. Very casual.

I personally wouldn't eat at Mid City Lanes. It's "bar food."

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:20 AM
RB

Here's the page for the Rock-n-Bowl:
http://www.rockandbowl.com
Menu isn't posted, but cafe is open, it states.

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Julie

The cafe in NOMA is just a bright indoor cafe with good food. Nothing fancy. Tavern on the Park is across the street from the park, not sure what street though. Tavern is very upscale, much fancier and much more expensive.

There are lots of restaurants all over N.O., oreintal ones all over too. So no, this isn't by any means a little China town. RnB is actually in an area that doesn't look very nice.

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:34 AM
KATHY

What do you mean by an area that doesn't look very nice where the R 'N B is located? There were also other negative comments about this area. Is it a neighborhood that is slightly tattered or does it look like one of the rough neighborhoods they show on "New York Undercover"?

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Meg

The area around Carrollton and Tulane is just a little rough. I've been there many times by myself during the day for one purpose or another, but I wouldn't want to hang out there at night.

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Greg

A couple of other places I would recommend on Esplanade are Lola's for Spanish food (BYOB - run across the street to Whole Foods and pick up a bottle of wine or beer) and Cafe Degas for French food. A great place for "local color" halfway between NOMA and Rock n' Bowl is Liuzza's - just off N. Carrolton on Bienville (mounds of fried seafood, pasta and red gravy, schooners of Abita, and lots of "yat." I would not recommend walking between City Park and Rock n' Bowl at night...although it is a relatively safe area.

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:23 AM
julie

not very nice neighborhood:
on corner of large intersection with a few overpasses to interstate, along with off-ramps, a few old houses in disrepair (area mainly has old single-family houses), litter in streets. There are no large apt complexes with lots of people like you might expect, very few people around actually.

I too go there often during the day because there is an ethnic grocery store just below that has a great selection of spices. But I would not walk around the area at night.