Reload this Page >

New Orleans in July?

Search

New Orleans in July?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Lance

New Orleans in July?

My wife and I are planning a trip to New Orleans in the first week of July. I've heard the weather is absolutely awful (hot and humid), but it's the only time we can do it. Is it worth going during this time? How are the crowds, and are any activites shutdown because of the weather. Should the rain be a concern as well?

Old May 13th, 2000, 03:23 PM
julie

Having lived there, I would say, it depends on how you tolerate hot weather. There are certainly lots of people who don't mind it. My husband never minded but I never got accustomed to it. Take lots of water, stay out of the sun, don't drink too much, and save lots to do in the evening, which is pretty nice. Nothing shuts down, believe me, in NO. It is a circus day and night in the French quarter, and lots of fun if you don't weaken.

Old May 13th, 2000, 05:11 PM
John

Julie's correct...it's hot in July and a lot depends on how well you deal with heat. Stay in the shade and hop in/out of air conditioned buildings during the day, and party at night. You'll have a great time.

An interesting sidenote: many people like to complain about New Orleans summers while planning summer trips with the kids to Orlando, which is just as hot. I guess it's all a matter of perception.

Old May 30th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Marie

We too will be New Orleans in July, no choice, since we are attending an AMT conference, We have planned out a few tours ie: plantation, cemetary, city, nighttime walking tour. Any more suggestions would be welcomed We will be staying at the Sheraton. Will my friend and I be in walking distance of some night clubs and which ones should we check out. We want to have fun, so we go out, only one of us will be drinking at a time.

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:15 AM
John

The Sheraton is walking distance to the clubs. Heck, you should both drink...don't be OVER-cautious while you're visiting. If you get sloshed, then just hop a quick cab back to the hotel. That's the mistake most people make...walking long distances while drunk. In my humble opinion, the better clubs are not on Bourbon Street with the exception of Storyville District in the 100 block.

Old May 31st, 2000, 07:43 AM
Diane

Why do you think those slurpee machines are set up all over the city -- oh just remember those slurpees DO include alcoholic beverages! Seriously, this is the first city I've ever visited where carrying around bottled water REALLY seemed a necessity. I recommend it highly!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 05:02 AM
Meg

The Aquarium of the Americas is a great place to spend a hot afternoon. Ride a streetcar up St. Charles Avenue to see all the beautiful homes and get off to take a walk around the Garden District. Just remember to pace yourself during the day - make stops at for a cool drink often. One of my favorite stops is the Napoleon House on the corner of Chartres and St. Louis for Pimm's Cup in the courtyard. Cafe du Monde is also a good place for a break - iced coffee and beignets. Try to schedule any walking tours for morning or night. I can't imagine a 1:00 p.m. walking tour in July. The crowds really aren't bad in the summer - because of the heat, it's low season and that's why the hotel prices are so good.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 12:53 AM
Kirby

New Orleans in July? Yuck. The humidity will melt you. Had been there previously in the Spring and absolutely loved it. The summer heat sucked big time. It’s a little better at night but avoid the outdoors during the day unless you like being in sauna. It’s a shame because N.O. has so much to offer the walking tourist: the architechure, the street musicians, the blending cultures, and of course, the views. The city is much more palpable in the Spring or Fall.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 02:10 AM
J.M.

I used to live outside New Orleans. It's an awesome city to visit, and there's lots to see and do.

As long as you have to go in July (although you ARE going to melt!), you might as well do as much as you can. I recommend checking out at least a few of the following:

- walk down Bourbon and Royal Streets (watch for pickpockets!)
- eat some of the incredible local food
- soak up the talent and atmosphere of the music joints
- take a tour of the cemeteries (go with a guided tour - pickpockets hang around the cemeteries to catch lone tourists unawares!)
- listen to or watch some of the street performers
- visit some of the many galleries
- go on a ghost walk
- visit the French Market
- tour the Garden District (take a trolley ride down St. Charles Avenue)
- take a carriage ride
- check out the area known as Faubourg Marigny: nightclubs and restaurants with more locals than tourists.
- visit the N.O. Museum of Art
- see the N.O. Historic Voodoo Museum
- check out Mardi Gras World (has floats and displays that have been used in past Mardi Gras parades)
- go to the Louisiana Nature Center
- visit Degas House (I believe this is the only US based residence of Edgar Degas)

I like this website:

www.bestofneworleans.com/index-wFrames.html

It should give you an idea of where to go and what to do in New Orleans.

Take LOTS OF WATER everywhere so you don't dehydrate!

Good Luck!

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Ann

My husband and I went to NO in early June, and as my husband doesn't deal with heat well, we had a miserable time during the day.

We discovered the best way to enjoy ourselves was to sleep really late, and stay up until the wee hours to beat the heat.