New Orleans Hotels Not in the FQ.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always stayed in the Quarter & my spouse & I are looking for a change of venue. Places in the CBD or F-M are preferred. EG. Lofts @ 523 or the Frenchmen Hotel ? Who knows about properties NOT in the FQ. ?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM

What do the abbreviations mean, other than F.Q. for French Quarter?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Central Business District and Fauborg Marigny. Never stayed in either of these parts, but we did stay at the Ponchetrain Hotel in the Garden District once. It was very nice - charming and quiet. Our room was small (but we got it very cheap through the Entertainment book, so I imagine other rooms are larger) but very charming and well furnished. The Ponchetrain is mentioned in several of Ann Rice's books, which I had read prior to our staying there, which made it kind of neat as well. Oh, and we got this to-die-for mile high pie that absolutely gigantic from room service one night. I still have a pic somewhere of dh holding the tray.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Well, I love Hotel Monaco in San Fran and now there's one in New Orleans. Many posters have said that don't like it because it's not in the Quarter - but if you want to stay elsewhere, check out the Hotel Monaco.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:40 PM

This is easy La Maison Marigny at the quiet end of Bourbon Street and B&W Courtyards in Fauborg Marigny.

You won't do any better than these two.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was considering the Hotel Monaco as I have also stayed at the one in San Francisco. I also favor the Cobalt restaurant which is attached. By the way, this will be our first trip (sans kids) in a while & is scheduled for later this year since my wife is currrently breast-feeding. A little romance wouldn't hurt...
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM

There's a grocery store in the F-M that has (as I recall) 3 or 4 nice rooms or apartments above on the second floor. I found the place and nearly stayed there, but now I can't remember the name. It's a neat location, a little different, and is central to the F-M district with lots of local color. I would think you could find it at bbonline.com or one of the hotel search websites. Good luck.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:19 AM

We stayed in the Hotel Monaco last November. It is a beautiful hotel but has a serious water problem in the shower. Other guests complained that they only had cold water. Well, I guess that's because we had all the hot water and it was far too hot. We requested a fix or a room change and got neither. Since we arrived on a Thurs I would have thought hotel maintenance could have fixed it on Friday or Sat. The hotel also would not do anything about the room rate because my friend had reserved thru an internet site like Travelocity. The location was pretty good, just a few blocks from the French Quarter. We never bothered with a cab. I would recommend testing the shower temperature before the bellman leaves and insist on a room change if the water is too hot (or too cold).
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Dan

La Maison Marigny gets very good reviews here and other places online. I know "The Marigny" (Faubourg Marigny) is a hot area now and there are many B&Bs, most of which I am unfamiliar with personally.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM

My two sisters and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last year for our 4 night stay in NO. We loved it--nice big room, comfy beds, fluffy robes and slippers, even a pet goldfish that we named Stella (for obvious reason)! Every evening there was free wine and snacks and also free signup for seated massages, which we did! We had no trouble with the water at all. The Hotel Monaco is in the former Masonic temple so has a really funky lobby. It is located right on the trolley line and within 4/5 blocks of the FQ. It is a short walk to Mothers (this is a must IMO) for breadkfast, lunch or dinner.

Do check it out--
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thx for all the info so far, still looking (& will be for a while) since this will be later in the year.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Just a little FYI, Duran Duran stayed at Loft 523 when they a small show in town.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

It is unfortunate that I don't have the financial flexibility of Duran squared. My problem is, I'd rather spend my $$ on food (& drink of course). Thx.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Am leaning towards B & W, any comments, suggestions or experiences ?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Dan

My only concern with B&W is that it's quite a ways out of the Quarter. It's several blocks past Elysian Fields. Not a bad area by any means but I'm not sure there's the foot traffic to allow you to walk it at night.

You can walk between Esplanade and Elysian Fields (the Frenchmen area) just fine.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dan, we've not explored the F-M but plan to this trip. I am wondering if it would just be easier to stay in the FQ & wander over there since I still expect most of our time, will be spent in the Quarter.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Dan

Well, I'm looking for a house in the Faubourg Marigny now it tells you where my loyalties lie! I'm tired of all the Garden District-area crime!!

Rant over.

There are so many good B&Bs in the area. Not good hotels that I know of. Have you checked tripadvisor.com? I know La Maison Marigny, B&W and ELysian Fields Inn are always rated highly.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Those 3 & the Frenchmen (which get very mixed reviews) are about all that show up. I may stay in the FQ this time so I can get a feel for the area & try F-M next trip. I've still got plenty of time & am really hoping for some deals since we'll be there between XMas & New Years. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing real estate is no bargain there either ?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

I've just stumbled across www.bbnola.com, this may be what we've been searching for.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Still looking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -