New Orleans for 4 days

Jun 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

New Orleans for 4 days

Hello,
I'll be visiting New Orleans this week with my wife and I was wondering what is your top places to go. I don't need restaurants as the forum had more food then my stomach can handle. My Current list (thanks to NeoPatrick) Acme, Brennans, Mr. B, Felix, Cochon, k-paul, and coop's place. Feel free to mention other restaurants that I might miss, we are both seafood lovers and don't mind eating frogs, livers, rabbits, etc... But we want to try to stay within budget, if there was a expensive restaurant that we must go which one would it be?

We also want somes places to explore so that we can burn off the food and eat some more . I'll be in the french quarter mostly but if there is something out there that is worth seeing then I'm up for it, and i'm into photography (some nice shot of New Orleans would be great).

thanks,
Kevin
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Restaurants-- I would nix Brennan's, which hasn't been the same since Katrina. I feel that way about Mr. B's, too. I like all of your other choices. In place of Brennan's and Mr. B's and of commensurate price would be Bayona (in the quarter, very wonderful food by Susan Spicer & atmospheric setting) and Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, also in the quarter. I also like Bacco, an italian restaurant in the Quarter that is a Brennan's restaurant.

More expensive than Mr. B's and Brennan's would be Stella and Restaurant August, the former in the quarter and the latter more in the business district by Poydras/Windsor Court. Most people regard August (a John Besh restaurant) as the best restaurant in New Orleans right now.

Activities: Free walking tour of quarter: http://www.nps.gov/jela/french-quarter-site.htm

The Audubon Insectarium is relatively new and is great. It's on Canal near the Quarter.

Keep in mind that a lot of restaurants have great deals this time of year. For instance, Dickie Brennan's has $5 small plates & cocktails between 5-7 M-F. Palace Cafe, another Brennan's restaurant that is near the Insectarium on Canal, has similar deals. This could allow you to eat at more great places within your budget, particularly if you go at lunch. I've copied and pasted at the end information I received on the deal last week via e-mail.

Another good activity is obviously the street car up St. Charles. It's kind of cheesy, but the river cruise that takes you down to the Battle of New Orleans site is a fun afternoon.

One of my favorite things to do in New Orleans (I work downtown and live in a suburb across the lake) is the Thursday-Friday evening jazz singing by Jeremy Davenport at the Ritz Carlton lounge. It is so much fun! If your wife likes spas, she'll definitely want to visit the Ritz spa, which always gets rated as one of the top spas in the Ritz brand. From Monday through Thursday, they have special spa specials, particularly now in the summer. Tell her to ask for a free mimosa, which they are very liberal with (funny story--only in New Orleans do people expect to drink 3 glasses of wine/mimosas/champagne in conjunction with a spa treatment--they looked at me funny when I asked for another glass at the Ritz in Grand Cayman!).

Welcome Summer with
Temperature Lunch at Palace Cafe
The popular summer dining tradition returns for its 15th year

Available Monday-Friday, 11:30-2:30, a two course meal is priced at the previous day's high temperature (85° on Monday means an $8.50 lunch on Tuesday). Guests have their choice of Turtle Soup, Soup du Jour or a Werlein Salad as a starter. Using local ingredients, Palace Cafe's culinary team creates entrees that change daily.

Past Entrees include:

Grilled Redfish with a polenta cake, nectarine coulis and tomato black bean salsa
Seared Tuna with a Creole tomato and fennel ragoût accompanied by a lemon, chive and basil salad
Coconut Crusted Jumbo Shrimp served with corn and coconut popcorn rice and touched with a cherry, vanilla beurre blanc

Palace Cafe takes GOLD at NOWFE's
Fleur de Lis Culinary Awards

For three years running, Palace Cafe has placed at the New Orleans Food & Wine Experience Culinary Awards. This year's Bourbon Braised Pork Belly with a Sweet Potato Hash and Blueberry BBQ Sauce, won them a Gold Medal in the Gourmet category. A variation of this dish (Pork Shank with Sweet Potato Hash) can be found on the dinner menu at Palace Cafe.

$5 After 5pm
$5 Small Plates and Specialty Cocktails

Start your evening at DICKIE BRENNAN'S STEAKHOUSE or PALACE CAFE with $5 small plates and specialty cocktails. Available Monday-Friday, 5-7pm in the cocktail area at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, at the bar or outside on the sidewalk cafe at Palace Cafe.

Oyster Happy Hour
$1 oysters and $3 Abita Amber Drafts

Belly up to the oyster bar at BOURBON HOUSE for $1 oysters and $3 Abita Amber Drafts. Available daily, 4-6pm.
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Great photos opportunities may include the St. Louis Cathedral from the Moon Walk, Streetcars, and St. Charles Avenue to Audubon Park. New Orleans is a beautiful city with rich architecture and many interesting sites! The restaurants previously suggested are some of our favorite "summer deals" and quite a treat for the quality of the meal. We also love strolling Royal Street. Have fun!
Jun 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
I'm confused with the term Brennan, are they a chain or something? Dickie Brennan's steakhouse, Mr B (assuming it means Mr Brennan), Bacco (a Brennan's restaurant). Or is it a family own type of restaurants around New Orleans?

thanks,
Kevin
Jun 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM

The Brennan family owns many of the most well-known restaurants in New Orleans, including Commander's Palace. There is two wings of the family that own different restaurants.

What hotel are you staying at? I just saw the Monteleone is running an $89/night special--look on travelzoo.
Jun 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

quarter house, i exchange my timeshare for a week in New Orleans.
Jun 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM

New Orleans is a photographer's dream

Jackson Square is right in front of St. Louis Cathedral - rather than standing up on the Riverwalk for the straight on shots of the cathedral, shoot the cathedral from inside the park at Jackson Square and that sort of thing. We've gotten our best shots of the cathedral that way.

The FQ itself has no shortage of good photo ops - I like the area between Jackson Square and Esplanade the best. The side of the FQ closer to Canal St has more commercial and newer buildings, but the other side of the quarter has more old stuff. It is also more residential. Some of our best shots have been in the evenning when the gas lamps are starting to be visible, but before you lose too much of the light that you lose detail. You can get some neat light on stormy days too, esspecially if the storms are intermitent with some sun in between.

If you want some shots of the river and the riverfront, that ferry to Algiers is free to pedestrians and gives some good shooting opportunities.

The Garden District is another great place for photography - you can take the street car out there.
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

are there any particular part of New Orleans where we should avoid or be careful?

thanks,
Kevin
Jun 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Often overlooked, there is a wonderful aquarium in the quarter. Take your camera to the French Market. You will not be disappointed! Also, think about doing a cemetary tour. A serious photographer would also want to look at the Garden District for great architectural shots. Slow down, take your time and savor this southern ambiance. It will seep into your skin if you are there long enough and you will come to appreciate why it's called the Big Easy.
Jun 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

...why why all the places that we planned to go requires drescode and we didn't pack for it
kpaul, commander, all the brennans..
We wanted to try the turtle soups. Ok, since felix doesn't require dresscode, how are their turtle soups? any other places?

Is crazy lobster good? They don't have a decent website to checkout.

thanks,
Kevin
Jun 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM

saige - I am curious what you like to shoot at the French Market since we are always scoping out good shots Thanks.