OFF Off Broadway Fringe Festival Aug 14-30 TDF vouchers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confess I've posted this elsewhere as well but it is a FUN NYC festival and it takes place over 2 weeks!
Hi All - If you wonder why/how New Yorkers are so great at making sense of your itinerary challenges, it is because we get new challenges every day. One of these is the annual Fringe Theatre Festival which is getting bigger and more complex each year. Fortunately, technology is improving and hey seem to have qualified program and schedule help this year.

IF you are in town Aug 14 - Aug 30, there will be lots of small theatre productions in the Lower East Side and the East and West Villages at all hours of the day and night.

The CHEAPEST way to see these shows ($9) is with TDF vouchers which ANYONE can order

www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx…

Have no fear, the most expensive tickets are $15.

Now the problem - So many shows, so many places, so little time.

Here's the website

http://www.fringenyc.org/

You can slice and dice the schedule online or for Luddites like me - you can get a hard copy of the program and schedule at Borders and figure out what you might like to see that is playing at times you can actually attend.

(more in another post)
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Once you figure out what you want to see -- There are various ways to get tickets (see the website)

ME - I like to go to Fringe Central and get mine in person.

Fringe Central is a couple of blocks away from the closed Park Ave streets (see my other thread about Sat road closings)

Between the closed road and Fringe Central is Spring Street Natural -- a great place for brunch that has been around forever!

Locals -- I'll be doing this sometime tomorrow and I'll report on the shows I've actually gotten tickets for.

If any of you get tickets for same show performances maybe we can get together.

VISITORS welcome -- lets put reviews on this thread.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

These are the shows I'll be seeing . There are a zillion others!
DATE TIME TITLE OF SHOW VEN # VENUE NAME Running time (minutes)
7 08/14/2009 5:00 PM Truth Values: One Girl's Romp Through MIT's Male Math Maze 5 Theatr at 45 Bleecker Street - The Lafayette Street Theatre 85

6 08/15/2009 5:30 PM 38 Witnessed Her Death, I Witnessed Her Love 6 The Robert Moss Theater 60

5 08/20/2009 8:15 PM How Now, Dow Jones 10 Minetta Lane Theatre 100

4 08/21/2009 3:00 PM A TIME TO DANCE 5 Thea at 45 Bleecker Street - The Lafayette Street Theatre 70

3 08/22/2009 4:45 PM Scandalous People A Sizzling Jazzical 10 Minetta Lane Theatre 120

2 08/28/2009 7:00 PM Bitch! (The Autobiography of Lady Lawford, as told to Buddy Galon) 4 The Connelly Theater 95

1 08/29/2009 5:45 PM Kaddish (or The Key in the Window) 18 HERE Arts Center - Dorothy B. Williams Theater 70
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Show one was great! And there's good ice cream across the street at Noho Star (Balsamic Caramel is awesome)

Truth Values: One Girl's Romp Through MIT's Male Math Maze
Unexpected Theatre
Writer: Gioia De Cari
Director: Miriam Eusebio
True life tale of a gifted young Berkeley chick taking on sexism while pursuing a Math Ph.D. at MIT, where girls aren't supposed to be girls . . . especially girls with a penchant for fighting back with fashion! "Dazzling performance . . . Captivating" -OOBR
1h 25m Local Manhattan, NY Solo Show Comedy
Staycation:In Someone Else's Shoes Working Vacation
www.unexpectedtheatre.org Share Show
VENUE #5: Theatres at 45 Bleecker Street - The Lafayette Street Theatre
Fri 14 @ 5 Tue 18 @ 10 Fri 21 @ 9:15 Wed 26 @ 7 Sat 29 @ 2
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the review, SueNY! Now that I know about the discount, maybe I can see more shows.)

I wanted to bring your attention to "The Boxer" which will be playing during the Fringe Fest. My coworker wrote and directed this - sold like gangbusters in Texas - I have my ticket for that show, along with "K of D." Really hard to decide which to go to - they all look great. (If only I can be in NY longer than just a weekend!)
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Show two won't be playing when you will be here but it was even better in lots of ways -- Am trying to rank them so I can submit a ballot once I've seen all 7 that I have tickets for (boxer was on list but didn't work for times for me):

38 Witnessed Her Death, I Witnessed Her Love: The Lonely Secret of Mary Ann Zielonko (Kitty Genovese Story)
LuLu LoLo Productions, written and performed by LuLu LoLo
Writer: LuLu LoLo, based on interviews with Mary Ann Zielonko
Director: Jody Oberfelder
Choreographer: Jody Oberfelder
"WE WERE LOVERS TOGETHER. EVERYBODY TRIED TO HUSH THAT UP." Meet the killer, the NY Times Editor, and the woman who kept her love affair secret forty years. Surrounded by the specter of 38 silent witnesses. THE KITTY GENOVESE STORY.
0h 50m Local Manhattan, NY Solo Show Drama
Staycation:My NYC Story In Someone Else's Shoes
www.lululolo.com/theater/38witnessed.html Share Show
VENUE #6: The Robert Moss Theater
Fri 14 @ 7 Sat 15 @ 5:30 Sun 16 @ 2 Tue 18 @ 4 Tue 18 @ 9:45

This was more like Anna Deveare Smith (? dont think I have that name right)

One woman - many characters and the dance and music worked well and the whole production was about an hour.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

How Now Dow Jones performance got cancelled at the last minute because one of the cast members got injured backstage as we were all waiting in line. (She may have broken the proverbial leg - I wasn't privy to the details)

Anyway, I am going to try to change my ticket for one for the Boxer next Friday since it is playing just before whatever I have a ticket for on Friday in the same theatre.

What day are you going?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

Hi SueNYC,
I'm going on the final Sunday afternoon show. I'm so envious of all that you get to see! Hope you're having a good time!
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

They wouldn't let me switch the ticket - Yesterday's - a time to dance was quite wonderful - done by the great niece of one of the first dance therapists in the country. I'm off to another soon.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Yesterday's Show was:

Scandalous People A Sizzling Jazzical
MyChurch Productions
Writer: Music by Benny Russell, Book and Lyrics by Myla Churchill
Director: Fredi Walker-Browne
Choreographer: Obediah Wright
With the backing of notorious mobster Dutch Schultz and infamous siren Mae West, a Harlem showman’s dream of mounting a daring interracial revue on the Great White Way seems within reach...but at what cost?

Cast music and choreography were great! The script needs work and I hope they work on it - I'd love to see it again at the Rose Hall at Jazz at Lincoln Center.

So far, while I liked all of them - The Kitty Genovese one is the best. The author/star had to work the hardest and brings new information to light about this extremely unfortunate incident. The other one women shows, the stars/authors were working from personal experience. Scandalous is really fun but it needs work.

(Oh the G-ds were with me Friday and I actually got tickets to and saw The Bacchae in the park with no rain ( sort of sad because there was a lot of thunder in the production.

I wasn't sure if they were doing it in smellivision -- Dionisys (sp) is a main character and I kept smelling wine all night -- Turned out the people behind me had large glasses of wine.