Motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon

Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon

My husband and I would like to take a motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon in September/October of 2010. Any ideas as to the best and most scenic route? We live in New Hampshire
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM

Do you mean on your own motorcycle from New Hampshire, or do you mean to fly and rent a cycle?
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

On our own motorcycle from New Hampshire.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM

I did a Mapquest search and they suggested two routes. One goes through Missouri, Oklahoma, the panhandle of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I wouldn't take that one and I live in north Texas.

The other takes a more northerly route and goes across Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and Utah. I would certainly take that one. That will take you past other great national parks like Rocky Mt. National Park, north of Denver, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon in southern Utah and to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, which I prefer over the two rims. If you want to see the south rim, that would make another good day of riding.

My husband is a long distance motorcycle rider and we've learned not to make hotel reservations except at places that fill up like national parks. You are going to be at the mercy of the weather. It's better to look for places along the way, even if they have to be small, locally owned motels. Carry some hotel catalogs for brands that are found often along interstates, like Super 8, so you can call ahead earlier in the day, when you see how far you think you can get. If you are making this long a ride, I have a feeling you've made these kind of rides before so I'm sure you know all that. Just a lesson we learned along the way.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM

Another thing, if you like nature and wildlife, the elk are in rut (lots of stomping around and bugling and the aspens are turning golden at the time you are going. Rocky Mt. National Park is a premier place to see all that. Estes Park, just outside the park is a lovely small town to stay in.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Connie: This would be our first long distance ride!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Take rain gear for sure. A computer would be good too to check weather and hotels. Either one with internet service or you can stop at most hotels or many McDonalds for Wifi.