Reload this Page >

New Orleans @ Christmas

Search

New Orleans @ Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 08:20 AM
George

New Orleans @ Christmas

Planning trip to NO in December(1st timer)for 35th wedding anniversary.Need advise on reasonable hotel in French Quarter.Looking at Place de Armes and Maison Dupuy.Suggestions please.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 08:33 AM
pcw

The Monteleone is a wonderful, romantic hotel on Royal Street (i think) in the French Quarter. We stayed there a few years ago for our 2nd honeymoon and had a great time. Be sure to ask for the "papa noel" special or something similar and also mention it's your anniversary. We were treated to surprises in our room every night. Very special. Go to French Market, aquarium, river cruise from aquariam to zoo is nice then ride streetcar down st. charles back to the quarter. also don't miss wandering around Jackson Square, sit for a portrait, enjoy people watching at cafe dumonde, and loads of great restaurants. tu jacques, royal street cafe. good music and nice atmoshere at rythmns. have fun

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Monica

Better stay at Hilton! Is really close of the French Quarter. And the service in front desk and in the on-site restaurant is great! A little expensive, though, but worth while.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 10:37 AM
John

I have to disagree with Monica. The Hilton is too big and too generic. I think you're on the right track with Place D'Armes and Maison Dupuy as both have New Orleans charm and character.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Meg

I second John's opinion on Place d'Armes and Maison Dupuy. Place d'Armes is across the street from Jackson Square - great central location. Maison DuPuy is a little more out of the center but is still close enough to walk to everything in the Quarter.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 12:10 PM
susan

I also agree with John and Meg. Although I haven't stayed at the Place d'Armes and it's been a long time since I've stayed at Maison Dupuy, I HAVE stayed at the Hilton recently and wouldn't recommend it. It's a nice hotel but no different than any other chain and New Orleans is absolutely full of wonderful hotels and B&Bs.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 05:35 AM
pcw

I agree that hilton is too generic. go with monteleon, westin is great location also and very nice, next to the aquarium, or royal sonesta on bourbon.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 09:06 AM
John

Alas, New Orleans is now "Westin-less" since the Wyndham chain bought the Westin Canal Place. Starwood (Westin's parent) does have other hotels here: Sheraton on Canal, W French Quarter and W New Orleans.