Reload this Page >

New Orleans Best Picks

Search

New Orleans Best Picks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:52 PM
mariam

New Orleans Best Picks

I'll be in New Orleans for 3 days in March while my husband attends a convention. I'll have time to visit the city on my own and would like some interesting ideas on how to get a good feel for the place in such a short time. Thanks.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 05:54 AM
kim

Hey Mariam...New Orleans is a gretat city to see by yourself. I love strolling the Garden District and Magazine Street. The shopping is fun even if you're only window shopping. Visit some churches. St. Louis Cathedral comes to mind immediately but I also found St. Roches to be interesting. You've got to see some of the offerings that have been made. If you want to visit the cemetaries I recommend that you take a tour as they may not be safe for a single traveler. If you're into antiques then a walk down Royal street is in order. Visit Jackson Square and see the Cabildo and Pontalba House. Beauregard-Keyes House and Hermann-Grima House will give you a look at some interesting history. There is also Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World. You can take the Canal Street Ferry to get there. I'm sure other posters will have other ideas but I hope these will get you started. Have Fun.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:20 AM
c

You might enjoy taking a tour while you're on your own for the day. A few suggestions would be a walking tour through the Garden District. Or consider taking a plantation tour for the day with Tours by Isabelle.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 07:51 PM
mariam

thanks. Do you have more information about tours by Isabelle and why do you recommend them in particular?

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 08:12 PM
thereuare

Try Irene's, one of the best meals i've ever had.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 10:40 PM
c

Here's the info on Tours by Isabelle:

1-877-665-8687 (tollfree)
Local (504) 391-3544
Fax: (504) 391-3564
Email: [email protected]
They cater to small groups and the tour guides are very friendly and knowledgable. They also will pick you up and deliver you back directly to your hotel which is a nice feature.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:27 AM
plummie

The National Park Service offers (free)
walking tours of the French Quarter and the Garden District. Used to have them of the cemetaries also. They also have a boat tour to the Chalmette site of the Battle of New Orleans. Check their headquarters at the French Market. You can find out the schedule and sign up for tours there.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Jane

I would reccomend a day tour of one of the closer plantations. Nottaway and Oak Alley are amazing! If your husband can join you for a night tour, there are haunted, voodoo and vampire tours. They may not be the most historically accurate activity...but, they are entertaining. Last time we were there we ate at Storyville District and really enjoyed it. Good music and food. Also, K-pauls was delicious.
If you like day spas, Belladonna is great. It's on Magazine street. You can shop part of the day and get a spa treatment, too.
Have fun!