Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans

Hi - we'll be in New Orleans the end of April 2010... staying at the Hilton Riverside. Any "do not miss" restaurant experience for lunch and dinner (without breaking the bank?). I usually prefer Italian; but probably should mostly do Cajun/Creole --- ? --- thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:47 AM

An inexpensive fun place is Acme Oyster House.

For an authentic creole dining experience, Tujague's.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:26 AM

I agree with Echnaton's choices and will add a couple of my own:

Maspero's on Decatur
http://www.neworleansonline.com/dire...?locationID=83

Oceana Grill
http://www.oceanagrill.com/

These, along with Acme, are located in the Quarter. Enjoy the city!!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM

I checked out these restaurants and they look great. Will check them out when we are in NO in March.

Question: Tujague's, I gather, serves a set family-style meal. Approximately how much does it cost?

HTTY
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Tujague's: I think the six-course dinner (in fact, five courses + coffee) is around $40. Reasonably priced wines and other beverages. I consider that good value for money.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! We're going to JazzFest the 1st weekend and can't wait to enjoy New Orleans!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM

There are scads of excellent eateries in New Orleans. Acme Oyster is very good as is Felix's (another oyster spot) across the street, and the latter rarely has a line to get in. There are plenty of Cajun/Creole places in the French Quarter that are excellent but expensive, including Mr. B's, Galatoire's, Arnaud's, and K-Paul's (Antoine's is pretty good as well), not to mention Commander's Palace in the Garden District. Had excellent po-boys at Johnny's Po-boys in the FQ and Liuzza's by the Track near City Park, a great cold muffuletta at Central Grocery and a decent hot one at Napoleon House (both in the FQ). There's very good Italian food at Irene's in the FQ and Mandina's up Canal Street (the former does excellent duck). Worthy breakfasts can be had at Lil' Dizzy's (soul food), Brennan's (Cajun/Creole, but very expensive), and Cafe du Monde (beignets and coffee-with-chicory). Angelo Brocato's does terrific gelato and other Italian ice cream specialities (not far from Mandina's). There are a lot of very good coffee houses also serving pastries and light fare, especially in the FQ: Cafe EnVie, Croissant d'Or, Royal Blend, La Boucherie, and P.J.'s are good examples.