Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans

Would the weather (including humidity) be OK for a week beginning 7 March 2004? Would we find plenty to do during a week? Any suggestions for an itinerary for a week in New Orleans? We would probably hire a car, but welcome advice. We are an Australian couple, late 50s, inexpereinced with US. Thank you in anticipation.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:14 AM

G'day, right now the weather is more like Darwin or Cairns in January, but March should be nice. It can even be chilly in early March. In my opinion April is nicer usually, but March can be ideal too. Techincally it'll be our winter which is about two months long

You can easily spend a week here and theres always something going on and March will be no exception. Sometimes Mardi Gras falls in March, but I dont "think" thats the case for 2004 if it is BOOK NOW!

I would be tempted to suggest you take in Spring Pilgrimage in Natchez, its about two and a half hours from here and you could spend a few days there seeing the ante bellum mansions and the pageant etc... Then again after flying 17 hours you may not want to sit behind the wheel of a car for a few hours. That reminds me, unless you do excursions to Natchez or Cajun Country(think of The Alice circa 1950 and throw in a french accent and that'll give you an idea) I would skip the car hire aka rental car. If you stay just in New Orleans you wont really need a rental car and their expensive.
You'll definitely want to stay in the French Quarter like most do and it really is the prime spot to be walking distance to about everything. If you dont do Natchez then I recommend visiting some of our plantations, you can even spend the night in some and basically have the run of the place after hours. Several tour operators will have day trips to these too. Nottoway, Oak Alley, Madewood, San Francisco, Destrehan, Houmas House and the educational Laura are all local plantations open to the public. These are/were mainly Sugar Cane plantations so it might remind you a bit of central or southwestern Queensland only with Alligators in place of Saltys

Oh, ps when I mentioned Mardi Gras I should point out ours isnt like Sydneys LOL completely different than the parade down through Paddo'. I better check my Mardi Gras calendar to see when 2004 Mardi Gras falls.

What part of Oz are you coming from?
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Please accept my sincere apologies. The date would be 7 May, not 7 March. Thank you for your excellent response. I will certainly use it.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Doesn't Jon_Eric respond with great answers? He's a really good Fodorite to ask questions about New Orleans and never fails to give good advice. Weather in May is fantastic since summer humidity hasn't set in yet, but it can tend to be a bit rainy. Hurricane season doesn't start until June (I think) so that's not a problem, it's just more like spring rains. Enjoy the city!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:53 AM

May will be a terrific time to go to New Orleans! It shouldn't be too hot and humid at this point, although you should always expect humidity in Louisiana! If you stay in the French Quarter, you probably could get by without a car rental. It's hard to park a car around there and just a lot of trouble. You might also consider staying around the Central Business District or even the Garden District. You could catch the street car for a ride.

Be sure to eat beignets at Cafe Du Monde. They are little fried dougnuts covered in powdered sugar and they are delicious! Another favorite restaurant of mine is The Gumbo Shop in the French Quarter, on Rue St. Peter. Great gumbo, red beans and rice, etc. One more recommendation for lunch or dinner--The Palace Cafe on Canal Street. It's quite nice and elegant with delicious food, and the lunch prices are less expensive than dinner. If you go, be sure to try the chocolate chip bread pudding for dessert! By the way, this restaurant is either run or owned (or both) by family members who operate Commander's Palace.

For some things to do, just walking around and exploring the French Quarter is very interesting. If you enjoy museums, you should check out the D-Day Museum (it's not in the French Quarter, however). It's devoted to World War II and is very interesting and well done. I believe it's located around the Magazine street area but I'm not exactly sure. I'm sure another poster can give some directions.

New Orleans is so much fun and you'll have a wonderful time by visiting in May, when the weather should not yet be too hot. Have a great time!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:10 AM

CColor, I'm blushing now, but that only makes me cuter LOL Thanx Cindy

Oh, May... yeah May can be nice. It seems that it was pretty nice this year with some July-esque spikes here and there. I think some of the hotels begin Summer rates in May so you may really make out well in that dept. Okay, Jim since its May I will now reference... Brisbane in... late November early December for here in early May weather wise.