Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:46 AM
xxxx

New Orleans

Going to New Orleans w/ friends (late 20's) in March. Never been before, what should I see and do? Want to stay in a nice (but not to expensive) hotel in the French Quarter. Anyone have any hotel sugestions? How is the Royal St. Charles Hotel or Holiday Inn French Quarter?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:59 AM
S

Um, Liz, why would you post the same question twice in succession but with one under your name and one under "xxx"? Also, there are two Holiday Inns in the French Quarter so I assume you mean Royal Street? It's okay. Functional but charmless.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:07 AM
John

I would agree with the previous poster that the Holiday Inn on Royal is "charmless" as it's a high rise atop a garage.

(As for the double posting of the question, sometimes it's hard to tell if a previous attempt actually made it or not! I've done it myself a couple of times.)

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:14 AM
XXX

Sorry, I didn't realize that I posted twice. I was having problems with my computer.

Have any other hotel suggestions? and what should I definitely do or see?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Chazz

I would suggest The Bourbon Orleans. It is right in the heart of the quarter and very near to the things that many First time visitors would gravitate toward. (It is on Bourbon St., right behind St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square.) You can generally find good prices on their rooms if you look early enough. Another fairly inexpensive place would be The Place D'armes hotel. Also centrally located in the quarter. (Ask for a room with windows, though. They have several interior rooms.) If you belong to a hotel discount program, you may want to check out the Omni Royal Orleans. I belong to Quest International, and was able to get a great rate there last March during the Tenn. Williams fest.
I have had friends stay at the Holiday Inn on Royal. It was nice, but nothing special. I would stay at one of the hotels that I listed first.
Good luck and have fun.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Tony

Try Hotel Le Richelieu

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
ML

Check out www.bedandbeverage.com They rent apts. and are convenient to everything - French Market, Jackson Square and Bourbon Street all within a couple of blocks. I like having a kitchen to re-heat leftovers or save money on meals/drinks. There's an A&P on Royal & St. Peter where you can get groceries.

I'm leaving for a girl's trip Thursday evening and this will be my third time staying at this place. Hoping to catch some Mardi Gras parades without the Mardi Gras weekend crowd!

There is tons to see and do in N.O. I suggest you check out different websites to learn all there is to do and make a choice from there. To be honest, just walking around the quarter is an experience in itself. Jackson Square is a great place to people watch, Royal Street for upscale window shopping, French Market for flea market bargains and Bourbon Street for partying.

As far as restaurants go.......check out other posts in this forum as there's usually always someone wanting to know where to go and about a million different suggestions!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
john

take ferry at foot of canal st.to algiers and return.only way to see skyline of n.o. and you get cheap look and feel of mighty mississippi river.not much in algiers-just ride back .a strret car trip out st charles ave show the garden district,tulane un.can get off and head back many stops or go to end and return.many top restaurants off street car line-commanders palace,upperline,

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxx

Thanks so much!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
John

There's a newly renovated "view bar" atop the World Trade Center at the riverfront. I believe the new name is 360 although I haven't had the time to visit yet. Friends went and said the renovation was nice. Check it out.