New Mexico&Colorado trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 'company' once again sent me away on business. This time DH wanted to go along and since I LOVE to drive across country, we arranged for this to happen. Our destination: Roswell, New Mexico. Now the desert in July does not seem appealing, but has wonders to bestow if you look.

This was a working vacation true, but after work we had some sight seeing time. We drove up to Bottomless Lake which is a sinkhole, or so I am told. While the lake was indeed pretty, the wildlife was something to see.

When you are moving at 20 mph down the road, and you can see the spider's legs moving across the road because it is as big as a dinner plate, one thinks twice about getting out of the car!! The people with whom I was working said, "oh, that was just a tarantula, if you think that was big you should see our scorpions!" We also encountered road runners, antelope and many different forms of cacti.
DH of course visited the various UFO museums while in Roswell. A small coffee shop also entertained him while I was at work by letting him play his guitar inside.
We ate at several great restaurants in Roswell but one stood out as the most hideous place I have ever eaten. When visiting Roswell, AVOID at all costs the Cover-Up Cafe. This restaurant is across from the UFO museum. Chargrilled hamburgers that have no taste, and you cannot smell anything cooking whether inside or outside, in fact food cooking was not evident at all. I guess the cover up is really how they prepare the food. For this tasteless food we waited 45 minutes in a near empty restaurant at dinner time (should have been our clue right there) DH had chicken fried steak that looked like the grease it was cooked in had not been changed since the UFO crashed! but this food again had no taste. When we left the owner asked how it was, and when we honestly told her, she became very upset and said you didn't have to eat it, but since you did, you will have to pay for it. I informed her I had every intention of paying for the meal, however, if she doesn't want to know how awful her food is, she should not ask. She attempted to bribe us into not telling anyone how awful it was by giving us a free dinner the next night. I told her I would be nuts to come again to her restaurant. (Yes by now I was irritated and thus somewhat rude.) S

Since we drove, when the work week ended, it was time to site-see. We drove to Albuequerque and went up Sandia Peak in the cable trolley. At the top we ate a delicious chargrilled hamburger (that you could smell cooking from everywhere) and watched a thunderstorm roll over the mountain into Albuequerque a mile below. Even though it was 90 degrees on the ground at the top of Sandia Peak it was a cool 50!
After leaving there we drove into Colorado and stayed in beautiful down town Pagosa Springs.
This is due to the old 1970's truckin' song by CW McCall called Wolf Creek Pass. The goal was to actually drive Wolf Creek Pass. Even though we did this in reverse of the song it still was fun. I was kind of amazed to find no one had any memoriabilia regarding this.I had always wanted to be in the Rockies amongst the huge pine trees and that want has been fulfilled.
We drove on the next day to Great Sand Dune nat'l park and had a picnic. This was a stop that was interesting, but I would not do it again. Except for getting stopped for speeding on each side of Amarillo it was a great trip.
We stopped at the Cadillac ranch and were given a can of neon orange paint to add our names to the thousands of names on the eight or so caddy's there.
Even though we put 3000 miles on our new car, the quality time DH and I spent together and the sights we got to see will live with us always.
We are discussing our next trip destination unknown!!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM

What a great roadtrip with DH and the memories you will have forever. Thanks for sharing!

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I was curious to read the 'rave reviews' on the Cover-Up Cafe website, but I cannot seem to find one. The really good restaurants were Tia Juana's and Pasta Cafe and one with a green cadiliac inside the restaurant. The waitress at Tia Juana's made the great food even better with her great service.
beachgirl thanks for your nice reply.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Sounds like a great trip!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM

What a great escape! I didn't get my New Mexico fix this year, and I can almost taste it...
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM

We were in Roswell last weekend and there was a "For Sale" sign in the window of the Cover-Up Cafe. Your comments must have put the owner over the edge and forced her to consider a new business. LOL! I'm glad we missed that dining experience. I did have a good Mocha at the coffee shop, though. Too bad we missed your husband playing the guitar.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

AWWW, I cannot say I am sorry to hear they folded. In such a prime location, if the food was good, they would have had a banner business. The smell of char-grilled food always intices me. I hope some good and lucky restauranteur goes in there. She said it was because they did not have a liquor license. I think it was more than that!!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Nice trip report. Some of the most gorgeous country in the world, in my view.

Where did you stay in Roswell, and what route did you take to Albuquerque?

We are planning a trip there in fall, 2008. I lived there when I was a kid and haven't been back since 1951. We used to go to Bottomless Lakes for picnics.

The funny thing is that the alien stuff was no big deal at all back around the time it supposedly "happened". I guess they hit on a good tourist gimmick!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Ok I always get ragged on my choice of hotels, but we stayed at the Days Inn on Main Street. I mostly look for a comfy bed nice bathroom and microwave and fridge. This is because we are usually working while we travel and want in room breakfast etc.
To get to Albuequerque we took Route 285 north out of Roswell to I 40. Get gas in Roswell, it is 190 miles of desert but about half way is a convenience store, outlet mall type store with very unique items, snacks etc. we loved it and spent an hour there. it is something Corners. One of the places we really enjoyed despite the 100+ heat (duh it's the desert!)
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM

"about half way is a convenience store, outlet mall type store with very unique items, snacks etc. we loved it and spent an hour there. it is something Corners."

Clines Corners
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes I looked at the atlas this AM, it is Clines Corners but it is on the junction of I40 and 285. Still it was a neat store.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:48 AM

Loved your trip report. How neat that your husband got to play his guitar at the coffee shop! Also enjoyed hearing about the critters you encountered.