new hampshire or vermont

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new hampshire or vermont

Hello Everyone,

My husband and 1yo daughter and I will be travelling in New England in June. We're staying with family in MV for about 5 days and then hitting Newport for a couple of days. After that we'll be heading up to the Boston area. We're ending our trip in Boston (about 4 days) but I'm trying to figure out what else to do and where else to stay. Would New Hampshire or Vermont be more interesting? How far apart is everything? We're from CA where distances are bigger. We don't want to do too much driving because of the baby. Suggestions? Sites to see?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM

stay in boston, there are more delights for the baby that you will also perhaps enjoy. if you don't mind the aquarium, it's a good one, and you can do it in a stroller easily. better yet, the museum of science has a brand new butterfly room (i've not been yet, but been to others in the area before this one opened). while the museum is stroller friendly with a brilliant educational gift shop, you'd leave the stroller and walk into a special garden-room with stone paths, and the butterflies are all around you (not like a million bats, but like the beginning of a snowfall). sometimes one will land on your shoulder or shoe, but mostly they land near you on flowers bordering the paths. fluttering colors, totally delightful. a one year old who has listened to 'make way for ducklings' might like the swan boat rides on the pond in boston commons. it's a chance to be outside, just like a walk around walden pond or a local audubon center or a trustees of the reservation property. also, the duck boat tour of boston is a hoot.
corwin
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM

Consider Portsmouth NH, which is a really quaint shipping town on the coast. Filled with wonderful colonial architecture, and a hippie meets preppie vibe that I just love. Or else Newburyport on the far north coast of Mass is another very cool little town.

Further inland, what you've got is very pretty countryside. Farms and, again, quaint towns. New Hampshire is known as being more rugged than Vermont. Vermont is gentler country. Both are beautiful. Do a search on bed and breakfasts in the Burlington Vermont or Putney area and see what you come up with. (Or maybe someone here can recommend one.) But I am a big fan of the simple pleasures of New England (orchards, hikes, village greens, coffee shops, you get the picture...) I say try to experience it.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

Compared to CA, Vermont and New Hampshire are relatively small states.

If you're serious, here, highly recommend checking out "Vermont, An Explorer's Guide" and "New Hampshire, An Explorer's Guide", so as to determine which, with all there is to offer, would be most appealing (and/or "interesting") to you...
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
bm

As mentioned above, Vermont has a more agricultural landscape - rolling hills and open farmland. The White Mountains in NH are more rugged. Also as mentioned above, Portsmouth, NH and/or Burlington, VT are great small cities to visit. Stowe, VT is beautiful-you can take the gondola almost to the top of Mt. Mansfield, use the 5ish mile long recreation path, visit Ben & Jerrys, etc.
If you opt for NH, our favorite part of the state is Pittsburg - the very northern part of the state. It's VERY quiet-a great place to just hang out and relax. Lots of "moose watching".
If you have any more specific questions, let us know!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM

Depending on how much time you have, I would highly recommend the Lake Champlain Islands in Vermont. They are about a 4 hour drive from Boston, about 40 minutes north of Burlington, VT. There are the most beautiful views of the Adirondacks, the Green Mountains and the lake. You can stay in an inn or a bed and breakfast...there are several. You can fish, boat, hike, bike, or just hang out by the lake. And...it is so quiet and casual. Check it out!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Personally, when my kid were one yrs old, I'd rather not do 3-5 hour car rides touring - which is what you'd be doing if you used up some of your 4 days in Boston to really enjoy NH or VT - if you want to follow the suggestion given of a day trip to Portsmouth or Newburyport, or even up to the north shore (Marblehead, Salem) - but otherwise, I would enjoy the last 4 dys of my vacation in Boston

There is much to do in Boston, easy pushing a stroller, and outside in nice June weather - Boston Public Garden (swan boat, etc as mentioned), Boston Common, strolling Freedom Trail, waterfront, harbor boat tour, North End,, walking Charles River esplanade - and if you are flying out of Logan, you could even return your rental car upon arriving in Boston b/c you wouldn't need it if you stayed 4 dys in the city - or keep it the first day, do your day trip and then drop it off on your way back into town.

I love VT and NH, described by other posters, but again, just not my cup of tea with a one year old in a car seat for hours - but mine would always seem to nod into nap time just when we wanted to get out of the car !

At 1 yr old, baby will likely be happy in stroller, being able to get out and stretch in the gardens and parks you'll pass, rather than in a car seat for hours in a dayBut again, this depends on babys individual personality.

I personally wouldn't plan my days around things like Children's Museum, etc when my kids were that little - they were happy enough anywhere in their stroller and getting some exercise - unless you and hubby like aquariums, museums, etc - at that age they don't remember so you can get away with saving all that for when they will ! Have fun wherever you choose to go those last four days.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM

On Fridays and Saturdays, Haymarket Square in Boston is filled with pushcart vendors. During the day on Friday, it's not too crowded but Saturdays there's a mob. From there it is an easy walk/stroller push to Boston's North End where you could enjoy browsing shops. Many of the shops are very small so you might not be able to bring a stroller inside. You could also have lunch in the Quincy Market area. Boston is a good walking city.
But to give you an idea of distances: Boston to Concord NH is approx 1 hr 15 min (by school bus), Concord NH to Burlington VT, a wonderful northern college city on the shores of Lake Champlain is 3 hours. A 1 yo is still very young. If the weather is warm you might consider a boat ride on NH's Lake Winnipesaukee or around Portsmouth NH harbor. Great way to sight see. Depending on when in June, you might want to avoid hikes in the White Mountains since it might still be black fly season. A friend likes to take her grandchild on hayrides at Charmingfare Farm in Candia NH (near Manchester). They also have petting zoo. Portsmouth is definitely are great area to stroll. So is Burlington VT. Burlington's Church St shopping area is closed to traffic. It's very popular. Portsmouth could be an easy day trip from Boston. From Boston you can be in the White Mountains in about 2 hours. If you stayed in the Lake Winnipesaukee area, you're almost in the White Mountains. You could take a tram ride up Cannon Mtn. Hope you have a great time. June can be a very beautiful month.