New Hampshire Move

Nov 7th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

New Hampshire Move

Anyone have any thoughts or advice about moving to New Hampshire? I have done some research about taxes and business climate, etc. I have a small manufacturing business that I would be moving with me. I am currently in South Carolina so I know the Winter would probably be the biggest adjustment. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Nov 8th, 2019, 02:49 AM

As far as winter is concerned, we typically have snow when further south like in CT they have ice storms. The roads are usually cleared ASAP so it's just best not to drive when it's actually snowing. UPS is usually very reliable if you are shipping, at least my experience in the Concord NH area. Truck deliveries were good and we got to know some of the drivers but in our first rented location there was a problem with cars parking in front of loading docks. There have been recent articles about losing talented young people to other states but there has also been news that NH is a great location for employees who want to live in a place with 4 seasons, easy drive to either mountains, coast or Boston. You should probably talk to a real estate company that deals in business property to find out what kind of rentals are available if you are looking to rent. There are quite a few business condos around but each has own set of rules such as what kind of businesses are allowed (some say no auto mechanics, others say no retail). If you find a situation you like and it's a condo, talk to the other business owners about the overall atmosphere of cooperation and maintenance. We owned 2nd and 3rd units from an end that did not get very good snow removal in winter due to no place to put snow. Condo association had to call in a front end loader when it got bad and we started losing parking spaces.
You will also have to file business name with NH Secretary of State https://www.revenue.nh.gov/faq/regis...tary-state.htm
You might want to see what professional organizations are around and whether you want to apply for free advice/help from SCORE volunteers under US SBA.
NH has a low unemployment rate. If you need employees, that might or might not be a problem.
If you have a family with children in school, you will probably want to live in a town with a good school. Because NH does most of its school funding with property taxes, some towns do not have very good schools.
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wealth of information. I have an electronics manufacturing business and will probably be mainly focusing on government contracts so shipping access would be a major factor.
Nov 9th, 2019, 01:52 AM

Also keep in mind if you have business travel, Manchester airport is very convenient. Flights might be cheaper from Boston which is actually easier to access if you are in the vicinity of Concord Coach Lines which travels I93 and I95. The bus station in Concord has free parking. I don't know about the other bus stations. I think Dartmouth Coach does the route from I93 up I89.

Good luck.
Nov 9th, 2019, 10:25 AM

New England is an entire different animal than the South socially and sometimes politically. In New Hampshire that can vary a great deal from town to town. I think that might be a bigger adjustment than the weather. It's all a balance; for 3 months of the year it is so hot in SC that it's uncomfortable outside. For 3 winter months its miserably cold in NH. My in-laws all live in NH and we live in MA just south of NH border. With housing prices so high in expanded metro Boston, southern NH is now considered commutable distance from Boston and has a more Boston atmosphere. There are some towns that give a really nice balance between old-time rural and Boston-ish. You can get a good idea of this by looking at past election results in various counties. Check property taxes before you buy; while there is no income tax, property taxes tend to be high. Finding good employees is also a problem as dfrostnh mentioned - the unemployment rate is really low, especially in the southern 1/3.

My kids both went to school in the South and lived there for a while. My daughter summed it up best. "Everyone is so nice and polite here that you never know if they like you or not. At least in Boston if they hate you, you know it right away"
Nov 11th, 2019, 07:42 AM

Lots of good answers so far. We moved to NH from NJ many years ago,and couldn't dream of moving away. Of course the weather is a very big factor - right now it's lightly snowing, and temps close to zero are predicted this week. As for small businesses, there seem to be many similar to what you do, and they appear to be doing quite well. One factor to consider is where in NH you want to base yourself - there is a huge difference between the Nashua-Manchester area and the northern tier of the state. The Manchester-Nashua area is quite developed, with lots of businesses, malls, and housing developments. However, there is still plenty of New England charm if you drive away 1/2 hour away from the I-93 corridor. Because it's so well connected, this might be the best area for a small business. Other desirable sections might be the seacoast, the Dartmouth/Sunapee area, and the Keene/Monadnock area. One other factor to consider is the cost of living - property taxes are fairly high, and snow removal and heating are big expenses. You will find the people to be friendly but not overly so, and political affiliations are all over the map. Issues that are important in much of the south like football and religion are not as prominent up here, but there is lots of interest in outdoorsy activities and politics.
Nov 12th, 2019, 01:39 AM

I'm surprised to meet people who retire to NH and some do it for the ski season. Zootsi is right that outdoorsy activities are big - a lot of schools have after school ski programs. our regional high school has an equestrian team, 4-H is still very big in some areas, kayaking is very popular and affordable, bicycling is also very popular with some favoring professionally built fat tire trails. In addition to traditional sports, there is also pickle ball, pond hockey, and motor sports. Newest activity is riding the discontinued rails on some kind of pedal vehicles.

I agree getting to know people could be difficult so it's a good idea to join something. There is still a lot of farming going on but it tends to be small scale. You'll find quite a few local farmers markets some are held weekly even in winter. You'll be able to find local grass-fed beef, eggs from free range chickens and wonderful PYO berry farms and fruit orchards. Book clubs are popular. Do NOT get on the bad side of the town's road agent.
Nov 12th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by dfrostnh View Post
. . . Do NOT get on the bad side of the town's road agent.
What is a road agent? I doubt the definition I got from google is what you mean.