Search

New England Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Dely

New England Trip

Four of us are travelling through New England Oct. 24-Nov 3. We are landing in Boston, renting a car from there to drive through the region, then finally take a trin to NYC on Oct. 31. Any suggestions on places to see, stay, and eat in the New England area? Also looking for suggestions on where to take the train to NYC.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Donna F

A few years ago, we spent a weekend in Providence around that time of year. There was still a bit of foliage left on the trees so a drive around Rhode Island would be picturesque. Many will recommend seeing the mansions in Newport. If you don't live near the ocean you would probably enjoy visiting cities on the coast such as Portsmouth NH and Portland ME. I have yet to go to Keene NH for their Pumpkin Festival. It's supposed to be a lot of fun and amazing to see so many carved jack-o-lanterns lit at the same time. Check Yankee Magazine's website for events that you might want to attend: www.newengland.com. The magazine is all about New England.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:02 PM
ldsant

I just returned from spending a week in New England and have to say that I never realized how beautiful as well as how friendly this area of the country is. I had the BEST time! I landed in Manchester NH (easier than Boston airport). Spent a day at Concord/Lexington/Cambridge MA, then went to Maine for a day - stopped at Cape Elizabeth and Portland. Then went to Old Orchard Beach (touristy and tacky, but nice beach) - we had a 15 year old tagging along for the day and there's an amusement park there).

Drove back along the coast. Then stopped in Portsmouth NH which was really nice. Spent a day here. Had a great meal at the brewery.

I then went to Vermont - Queechee was lovely. Also stopped in Woodstock and drove around from there. Taftsville General Store was fun - lots of samples - all Vermont "treats."

You can take the train from Boston or take the commuter rail from outside Boston into Boston and catch the train there. You can see the specifics from http://amtrak.com

Enjoy yourself - I did! I loved it!

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Eileen

Coastal ideas in MA -- Rockport, Newburyport -- shops, waterfront areas to browse; Ipswich and Gloucester --beaches. History everywhere!

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 03:32 AM
keene resident

DonnaO NOT go to the pumpkin festival in Keene NH; it was fun and delightful to see all the different carvings for the first couple of years, but now it is packed. Be prepared (due to traffic) to not be able to get in/out of town or find parking, worse yet the street is so crowded with people(we're talking SARDINES here) now that you literally can't move, find a restaurant seat or much less even see the pumpkins. Most of us who live here won't go near town that eve.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Donna F

thanks to Keene resident for the warning. Darn, guess I missed it when it was good. Maybe better advice is to closely read local newspapers for small events. We recently attended a fiddlers picnic and I don't think there was more than 100 people there. New England is full of small events but you have to look for them. Check the free neighborhood newspapers (pick them up at grocery stores).

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 04:54 AM
ellie

Be sure to book hotels soon if you havent done so yet. You will be travelling during a very busy season in New England and you will find it challenging to secure rooms even now at many of the nicer hotels and inns in the area. Have a great trip!