Search

New England States

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Marcia Schmalz

New England States

We are going to be staying in Falmouth, MA for 1 week at the end of September. We want to see the cape cod area (no problem) and also would like to see some places in Bar Harbor, Me. Is this at all feasible considering the distance? Is there a rail trip we could take?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Donna

Falmouth, MA to Bar Harbor, ME is just over 350 miles, just over 3 hours, driving, and there is no rail service between the two.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:36 AM
saugus

Wow 3 hours from Falmouth,MA to the MDI.Some times it takes 3 hours to get past the big dig.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:43 AM
WOW

Three hours for 350 miles??
You just average 115 miles per hour and you should have no problem all.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Amy

There is a train that runs from Boston's North Station to Maine... The Downeaster, but I don't know if it is really convienent to Bar Harbor, you would have to check it out. Amtrak has a website, www.amtrak.com, you could look it up and find out. But I agree that getting to / through Boston from Falmouth is what will be the tricky part. Even on the weekends, Boston traffic can suck.
I have never done 350 miles driving in 3 hours, as you would have to go over 115 miles per hour. It's more like 5 hours away, if you average 65 miles and hour.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:28 PM
former New Englander

Maybe 3 hrs as the crow flies, but ain't NO way you'd make that Falmouth to Bar Harbor road trip in that time frame.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Kristin

We just drove last Saturday from Bar Harbor Maine to Manchester, NH (about 45 min. west of Portsmouth, NH) and it took us almost 6 hours. (interstate driving all the way). The traffic jams at the tollbooths took FOREVER!!! End of Sept. will probably be better than it was last weekend, but I'm guessing it's gonna take you 6 hrs. from Falmouth, MA.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Jen

Traffic at the end of September might NOT be better, considering that it will probably be the height of foliage season up there.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Donna F

Bar Harbor is just too far and there is a lot of Maine to see in between. Consider just traveling to the Kennebunks or maybe as far as the Bath/Brunswick area. Part of the fun of exploring Maine is taking side roads and discovering a great little lobster shack and a good view of the ocean/working harbor. The further north you go, the less crowded it will be but in general, the popular weekend get-away places like Boothbay and Camden will be booked up into October. Spend more time walking a beach and less time in a car.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:13 AM
linda

Bar Harbor is a LONG trip. Maine is a huge state and many folks underestimate time and mileage between coastal areas.
Bath is a great city to visit and is about 1-1 1/2 hours over the Maine state border. Great beaches at Popham in Phippsburg, south of Bath and Reid State Park in Georgetown. Visit Maine Maritime Museum and have lunch in the new Long Reach Hall there (11 a.m. - 3 p.m. daily) and sit outside on the deck overlooking the mighty Kennebec River.
This Thursday, Aug. 15th, the USS Winston Churchill destroyer will head south on the Kennebec from its repair visit at Bath Iron Works and go back out to sea.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Frank

Donna, I'd like to hire you for my next trip to Bar Harbor. I've never done it in less than 5 - and I'm coming from Boston! Marcia, forget Maine - it's too far. Enjoy your time in the Cape and save Maine for a seperate 1 week vacation.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Donna

As is obvious to everyone, the 3 hours should have been 6 hours - a typo. The mileage is correct and anyone could (and did) calculate the correct time with that mileage.

Over the last four or five years, I have frequently contributed lots of useful information, tips, and experiences on this forum, overlooking anonymous folks like "saugus", "wow", "formerNewEnglander", and "Frank", who love to pick on the responses of others, or worse, and have nothing useful to offer otherwise. I've decided to join the very long list of those who no longer participate.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
nodonna

Oh, Donna, lighten up and stop banging your spoon against your highchair. They only corrected your mistake so as not to mislead the original poster.

OK, now you can go away.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Maureen

For Marcia, now that you know that Bar Harbor is at least a six hour car ride from Falmouth, and that there are no rail excursions available, it's up to you whether to go for a visit. If you really want to visit Bar Harbor, go for it!

To nodonna: It's because of people like you that dozens of people have stopped coming here and giving others valuable information not available elsewhere - along with many insider tips and recommendations not available in the tour guides. One after another has gotten fed with the likes of you and has gone away. Such a shame.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Jon

Donna, yes, we know you made an honest mistake, but people who don't know the area don't know whether it was the mileage or the number of hours that were wrong! ("The mileage is correct and anyone could (and did) calculate the correct time with that mileage.")
I think that people were just humorously pointing out that one or the other must be incorrect. There's no reason to pick up your crayons and go away... (that's an attempt at humor too
"

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Kathryn

The end of September is one of the loveliest times to visit Bar Harbor. It is not a "leaf peeper" destination, and you will not run into fall traffic (they'll all be headed to the mountains), and you do not have to drive anywhere near the BIG DIG to get there. While it looks much farther on a map, it's really less than 20 miles farther (and well worth it) to go via I-95, rather than taking I-95 through the City of Boston. I would caution, though, that Bar Harbor is totally fogged in something like 300 out of 365 days, and it does not burn off by noontime...making a one or two day trip quite risky.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:36 PM
TO MARCIA

I made the trip at the end of Sept 2001, it was about eight hours on all interstate and not a very interesting drive, Bar Harbor was worth it, but I had 2 weeks and we also did Cape Cod. Save yourself the rush, go out and enjoy the cape, save Maine for another trip. By the way, they are very similar in shopping and sights save for Acadia, which everyone should experience once.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:47 PM
TooBad

You jerks above, and you know who you are and are obviously proud of your conduct, abuse this forum and have chased many people off. But, what goes around comes around. You have nothing to offer and you'll reap no benefits either. Some day, if you ever grow up, you'll be really embarrassed by the way you used to be.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Donna F

Message to Donna/djbooks: please re-consider. Several years ago you helped me get the phone number for the carriage ride in Portsmouth NH. We had a wonderful ride and my MIL enjoyed it immensely. I always enjoy reading your posts. Please stay!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Come On

Too bad and Donna: You can't take a good natured ribbing on an internet chat board? Nobody here personally attacked you. All they did was clear up an obvious mistake with some jokes. It makes you wonder how you actually survive in the real world if you can't even handle a chat board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -