New England Must see's July 2005

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- I am starting to investigate our family vacation for July 2005. Yes we need to travel in July and will be taking a road trip with two teenagers ages 14 and 18. We will have 10 days max and are leaving from Rockford- 2 hours west of Chicago. We would love to see the New England area. I have purchased a book and been on tripadvisor.com.
It seems like lot of places are already booked and quite expensive. I'm thinking of having our first stop be Niagara Falls and then on to Quebec. From there, I'm not sure. We like to spend time at the beach/ocean as we live so far from the ocean, see some historical sights, and get a feel for this part of the country.
Acadia National Park looks like a great place to spend a day. Whale watching sounds awsome- is summer a good time to see them? Portland and St Elizabeth look like good stopping places. What about Boston and Salem? I'd like to stay at some quaint inexpensive places for some nights rather than the usual chain lodging too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM

I am not sure, with the first part of your itinerary, it is worth the trip down to Boston. If ocean is your goal, Bar Harbor/Acadia will have that - although way too cold for most people to swim in. You could then continue down part of coastal Maine, or even take ferry to Nova Scotia. If you are going to Quebec City, you could also add Montreal.

If you skip Bar Harbor, then it is a much shorter distance from Montreal to Boston.

As far as places being booked, I also am a far-ahead planner and have found on some sites (Expedia, etc.) hotels appear to be full that far out but actually are not taking reservations on that site yet. If use such sites for research purposes and then go to hotel website directly, there are often plenty of rooms.

You will find Boston area very expensive, especially in the summer - similar rates to really expoensive cities like New York.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:29 PM
roy

Acadia is great, but to spend 1 day in July...too oppressively crowded. You might think about Boothbay Harbor..Tugboat Inn.. for a couple of nights instead. Good in-town location, reasonably priced with all kinds of boat trips available. Whale watch, sightseeing, day trips to Monhegan Island, seal watch, etc. Also within easier striking distance of Portland, Boston, Cape Cod etc.
Bar Harbor (Acadia) is really crowded in season and is a long haul up the Maine coast from everything else. A mere day there simply isn't worth it.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 03:44 AM

How about getting your teens' input? If they like cars they might like to see the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Rockland. We camped in Searsport which was close enough to head north to Acadia or south to Camden, etc. You might try to find a base in that area. There are very few sandy beaches in Maine, most are south such as York. We took a great boat trip with the Maritime Museum in Bath one year to see lighthouses. There are also several boat trips to choose from out of Portsmouth NH. I haven't been on one to see whales. Sea sickness can be a problem when you go that far out in the ocean. A short boat trip from Bar Harbor was good for seeing seals and eagles. The view from Cadillac is incredible. The Maine coast has a lot of variety from quiet/quaint to busy tourist meccas (mostly south of Portland).
The NH White Mountains are only about 2 hours from Portland Maine.
Should you decide to come south from Quebec thru Fort Kent ME and then south. You will discover why Maine is also known for trees!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for you suggestions. I think we might just head to Portland form Montreal and then head down the coast to Boston, etc. Looks like this would save a lot of time and still get to enjoy Maine. I think I'll skip the whale watching.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:57 AM

The really spectacular Maine coast is northeast of Portland so if you just do Portland to Boston you'll miss it. I agree Bar Harbor is a bit far but maybe you go as far as Camden, Boothbay. That's the type of scenery most people think about when they think Maine and they're less than two hours from Portland (I think, I'm not a Maine expert but I do go up there at least once a year but you can get driving distances on Mapquest.com).

If you are heading down to Boston try Cape Ann - Glouster, etc. All of New England will be busy in July but that area might be a little less so than some of the others.

For inexpensive lodging you probably want B&Bs and most of them are not on the big hotel web sites. Go the web sites for the chamber of commerce for various towns and you'll find lists of lodgings.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Some 'must sees' in New England.
Acadia Maine
Kennebunk/Ogunquit Maine beaches
Mt Washington NH auto road
Boston
Vermont countryside

There are lots more, of course. Quebec City and Montreal are fabulous, but you may be trying to cram too much in 10 days.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Thinking of teens...
-Portland has tours on Segways, but I think you have to be at least 16 (or have a permit) for insurance purposes.
-Teens might love to spend a day on a whale watch, or there are plenty of boat excursions that stay closer to shore, such as the Eleanor in Kennebunkport.
- Lots of coastal places to rent kayaks or bikes along the Maine shore (Camden, K-port, etc.)
-Cliff Walk in Ogunquit is gorgeous on a decent day.
-Fun and funky shopping in Ogunquit, ME, Portsmouth, NH, and Rockport, MA.
-Best family beach in Maine (IMHO) Goose Rocks in K-port (out beyond Cape Porpoise). Most people also love Ogunquit's.
-Water Country water park in Portsmouth.
-Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester is very cool.
-Best teen "attractions" in Salem are the Witch Museum (NOT Witch House) and Hawthorne's House of 7 Gables. Also lots of "psychics," and maybe a "haunted house" would be open, although most are seasonal.
-In Boston, be sure to do The Duck (Tour, that is).
-Most unique museum in Boston is the Isabella Stuart Gardner art museum (IMHO).

Also, although I do love Montreal, I believe Quebec City is a much more unique experience, with a real foreign feel.

As for lodging, have you ever tried Priceline? We've had very good luck booking 2 rooms (at less than half the list price!, and then calling the hotel directly and requesting that they be non-smoking adjoining, one with king, one with two doubles. If you go this route, be VERY careful - as there is no "proposal." You agree in advance to buy whatever pops up - no refunds. Read about all the rules and "tricks" on biddingfortravel.com

Good luck! I think it will be a great trip, just don't "overbook" it. Try to stay at least 2 nights everytime you check in somewhere. Maybe something like Quebec, Portland, Salem, and Boston.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Not sure if you teens are baseball fans, but a Red Sox game at fenway is always alot of fun. I'd also second the suggestion of the white mountains in NH.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Since all games to the Red Sox are about sold out... a tour of Fenway Park would be great plus there is the Hard Rock Cafe on Claredon Street, 1/2 price tickets to Blue Man Group...if they remember the tv show Cheers...they could go to the original Cheers. Please don't skip a whale watch and book yourself on the internet for a Duck Tour...no matter what age.. it's a blast.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:22 PM
mma

If your boys like baseball and you can't get Red Sox tickets, you could always go to a Portland Seadogs game while in Portland. They are affiliated with the Red Sox. It is easy (or was!) to get tickets, nice family atmosphere, and good view from all seats. I also second the suggestions from ParrotMom about things to do in Boston. A tour of Fenway is great- touch the Green Monster, sit in the dugout, etc.- as is a Duck tour. Hard Rock Cafe is nearby and very good. Freedom trail ( Paul Revere's house, Old North Church) is interesting and the North End is a "delicious" place to go for Italian food. Have fun!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Also in Salem MA is the Peabody Essex Museum. It is a wonderful museum. They have brought over a house from China and you can walk through it. The Peabody Essex Museum is right around the corner from the Witch Museum - you could do both!

Also, Singing Beach in Manchester MA is such a pretty beach, as is Crane's Beach in Ipswich.

There are many Whale Watch tours out of Gloucester. We went once in the summer and saw dozens of whales - they were swimming right under the boat and rising up out of the water --- one of the more impressive sights I have seen.

The Franklin Cafe in Gloucester is a fantastic restaurant.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM

don't skip whale watching! That is something that is really unique. We went on Capt John's boats out of Plymouth - take the afternoon boat. THey have a better idea where the whales are then.

If you go to Quebec, then head south thru Maine by Mooshead Lake. I don't think Acadia is out of the way very far. That is really the best place to see the 'rugged coast of Maine'

Owl's Head transportation Museum is excellent - cars and planes.

Mt. Washington Cog Railway (NH) is a unique experience. If you go near Montpelier VT, then take the Rock of Ages granite quarry tour