please compare Massachusetts and Maine coasts

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please compare Massachusetts and Maine coasts

To be more specific: My husband has an engagement at Colby College end of May, and we'd like to turn the trip into a little vacation for us. I'm trying to decide whether to do the coast area up in Maine, which we fell in love with a few years ago, or, since the weather may be too cool for coastal pleasures in Maine that early in the season, perhaps to go south instead. Are there areas near Boston, e.g., that are as wonderful as, say, Camden and Bar Harbor? We love the ocean and we love to hike and walk around old towns. We loved Acadia National Park and the towns from Portland, ME on up. But wouldn't Boston and some Mass. coastal towns (which ones??) be a better bet at that time of year? And perhaps southern Maine, rather than farther up?
Would appreciate feedback; I'm hoping to get some reservations made in the next month or so. (We love great inns, not B&B's; and love lobster-- morning, noon and night, if possible!) Thanks so much.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM

I have lived in Boston my entire life and there isn't anyplace prettier on the East coast than Acadia and Camden. The only place in the US that beats that area is the Pacific Coast Highway out West.

That being said, Acadia is a 5 or 6 hour drive from Boston - I think Colby is pretty close to Acadia. We only get up that wasy once a year since it is so far and would do it more if we could.....so I guess my vote would be Acadia and Camden.

That being said if you have never been to Boston it is a great city. I don't know the Cape well but there are some beautiful areas and some quaint towns. There is LOTS of traffic in the summer but it's pretty quiet (and cold) in the winter. May might be the perfect time....

Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are great places as well - lots of quaint shops, biking and beach walking....nice B&B's too

Further north, Gloucster has whale watches and Rockport has great views (the most photographed lighthouse) and a great shopping area with quaint shops and restaurants.

If you have never been down this way it's worth seeing but it will be a very different experience than Acadia and Camden....
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM

The Main coast is craggy, whereas the Massachusetts coast is uncraggy.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:06 AM

You would be smart to reserve now since hotels in some areas will be busy because of college graduations. There are some nice sandy beaches in Maine but not very many, most are south of Portland such as York. NH has a very short seacoast and it's much flatter than Camden. There's an area of private mansions in Rye followed by some beaches. Hampton has been a popular beach area for generations and is very commercial and crowded with buildings. I like Portsmouth much better as a town to visit. Check the great boat rides. You can hike around Odiorne Point and there are trails at the Urban Forestry Center. In Maine there are some great lobster places without the crowds. Some open as early as Mother's Day. We prefer mid-coast Maine and rarely visit the Massachusetts coast although the Cape in April was nice. May can be very beautiful in areas with flowering shrubs and trees (we figure apple orchards are in bloom by mid-May). You might be surprised by how beautiful Maine is in May and just different than in summer months.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:54 AM

York Harbor Maine is a beautiful place. We have owned there since 1987. York Harbor Inn would be a great base for you. It is across from the ocean. There is a beach there and a beautiful cliff walk. There are walking paths all along the area, along the harbor, through a wooded park, etc. The inn could help you with a map of it. It is close to very historic Portsmouth., NH, a great day trip. There are a lot of historic houses, great little downtown area, wonderful shops, etc. There is even a mountain in York (Armegetius - sp?) with walking trails all over. It is only 1 hour 15 minutes from Boston too, so quite convenient to the area.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:15 AM

Ogunquit Maine will fit your bill for great walking areas. You can walk the Marginal way or the pristine 3 mile beach. There's a small mountain Aggaminimus (sp.) close by where you can hike as well.
You'll find many Inns (don't know them as I stay with Mom)and nice restaurants and good Lobsta.

The cape is wonderful as well, offering wonderful hiking areas and a 40m. national sea coast. You could take the ferry to Provincetown from Boston.
How long will you be there?
Enjoy!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:32 AM

I've never been to Maine in May, but I believe that's black fly season. The way I heard it, biting flies make the state well nigh uninhabitable in the spring. You might want to check into the bug factor.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:46 AM

One of the few places on the east coast that rivals Acadia for beauty are the miles of wild, windswept beach and sand dunes at Cape Cod National Seashore. Yes it will probably be a little milder than central Maine, but still not 'frolic in the water' mild. However the south shore of the Cape (not part of the National Seashore) is fairly warm, and if there is a warm spell, could be doable for a beach outing. The Cape is all about beaches - wide sandy beaches of every description. Of course southern Maine also has some nice sandy beaches, especially Ogunquit, but nothing like the miles of unspoiled beaches of the Cape. Closer to Boston, there are some nice seashore communities like Plymouth and Rockport, and inland towns like Lexington and Concord are quite nice.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM

Be interesting to hear where you got this info. in regards to the flys, cpxxx.
Never had any problems myself, at that time.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM

for the black flys - depends on where you are, what time of year, what type of weather they've had, etc - they can be vicious or hardly noticeable -
you'll see 'save the black fly' bumper stickers and everything else in maine, it's grown a life of it's own -
here's a link with black fly info, but I wouldn't let it stop me from visiting Maine at any time of year
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM

oops, the link:

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM

Yes, black flies can be maddening in the north woods in May, but they are typically not a problem near saltwater areas.