New England Must-Do's?

Search

New England Must-Do's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England Must-Do's?

My family (husband and four girls ages 12-17) and I will be taking a road trip this summer. Starting in Indiana, ending at Prince Edward Island. Thinking of stops in NYC, Boston, Bar Harbor... but really not sure. We've never done anything northeast of NYC. I would love to hear what you consider must-do's and must-see's along that route. Nova Scotia? Acadia? Help!

We'll be on a budget, so nothing crazy expensive. We love nature, beauty, historical sites, being lazy, and a touch of adventure.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

P.S. We have about two-three weeks to make the trip from Indiana to PEI.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM

> what you consider must-do's and must-see's along that route

The problem is this: something I would consider fascinating, you might consider a complete bore -- and vice-versa. So, unless and until you specify what YOU want to experience during this trip, none of us can give you any info beyond what WE consider a great place to visit. And that may very well have absolutely no bearing on what YOU want to experience.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Paul: they like nature, beauty, historical sites, being lazy, and a touch of adventure...

The main roads in VT and NH kind of go North West to South East, so you might do best to travel all the way east in MA (or CT) and then go north from around Boston, rather than travelling on pokey little roads in VT and NH. (Although if you follow this advice you will miss the lovely rolling hills and villages of VT, including things like a tour of Ben and Jerry's corporate home, with tastings. So ignore it if you like.)

Boston is a great walking around city, and the National Park service runs the Freedom Trail, which is free. Other nice small cities along the coast are Portsmouth NH and Portland ME. The NH coast has some fun towns good for a day at the beach.

Driving up Mt. Washington (NH) is an adventure, if your car is in good enough shape.

One thing they have in New England are ``outdoor museums'' which are basically recreations of old-time lifestyles: like Plimouth Plantation (MA), Mystic Seaport (CT), Strawberry Banke (NH), Sturbridge Village (MA), Hancock Shaker Village (MA), and others. These are usually enjoyable ways for kids to get a dose of history. Also the Mashantucket Pequot Museum is really a gem.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:02 AM

Think about this.

Day 1 Indiana to Niagara Falls.
Day 2 Niagara Falls to Burlington, VT through the Adirondacks
Days 3-4 Burlington to PEI via US 2 and US 1. This skirts the northern part of the White Mountains, worth a detour.
Days 5-7 PEI to Halifax, NS, maybe Cape Breton.
Day 8-10 Nova Scotia to Bar Harbor, then down the Maine coast
Day 11-12 Boston
Days 13-14 Home (get off I-90 in favor of US 20 thru central NY; it is beautiful).
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. We did Niagara Falls a couple years ago and loved it. Because of the availability of the house we are renting on PEI, we will need to head home after that week on PEI.

So we are thinking two weeks leading up to PEI, and then 7 nights on PEI before heading back to Indiana, probably stopping in PA to see my brother (maybe do Hershey).

We would like to stay 4 or 5 days in one spot somewhere between NYC and PEI, but we're not sure where!

Paul, please tell me how to be more specific. I shared this in my original post, but would be happy to clarify: "We love nature, beauty, historical sites, being lazy, and a touch of adventure." If we only make it to this part of the country once, what would people say not to miss?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Okay, you asked.
You want nature and beauty?
Two to three days in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
Acadia National Park.

Nature and adventure?
Baxter State Park -- over 300 square miles of natural beauty that has never been pillaged.
White Mountains, including the Presidential Range.

History and beauty?
Halifax, and the area just around it, including Peggys' Cove and Lunnenburg.

History?
Boston and vicinity
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site.
Perhaps returning by Quebec City and Montreal.

If you want history, and you're going to Hershey, then a stop in Philadelphia is a must. More history in one block than in most states.

My disappointments: Fundy NP, Kouchibouguac NP, Hopewell Rock PrPark

And, I *HOPE* you won't experience my disappointment with PEI, for which I concluded one day would be enough. Other than Province House NHP and Green Gables, I didn't find much of interest on the entire island. But, if you're going to relax, this isn't a bad place.

To relax between NYC and PEI, the Berkshires would be good for a few days. Of course, then you'll miss some of the things I recommend above, but you'll have to decide if you want historical sites, nature, or beauty.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 02:33 AM

Beachcombing around the Bay of Fundy is fun. All the different rocks and the possibility of finding a rock with a fossil. We did this years ago when DS was about 12. A guidebook will tell you where the best beaches are.

Since you're from Indiana, maybe that 4-5 days on the way to PEI should be in NH's White Mountains area. Lots of hiking choices, close to Lake Winnipesaukee, Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness. There's several summer theaters in the area: Meredith, Tamworth.

We found a great swimming hole in VT but it's in the central region just outside of Bristol as we started on the Lincoln Pass to Rt 100. Great place to picnic. There was a small waterfall and deep pool. Kids jumping off the ledges yet just downstream you could walk across the river it was so shallow. I'm sure there are other similar places in VT. Google swimming holes + VT. You would need water shoes to protect feet. The bottom was very rocky. (budget adventure)

New England is filled with places to explore that don't cost a lot. The secret is finding conservation areas and hiking trails that are open to the public. The Flume in NH is beautiful but expensive to visit for a family. If you get a state atlas and gazeteer from Delorme, it identifies a lot of these places. Sometimes the local info center has a brochure. Last summer we explored different places in the Harpswell area of ME (east of Brunswick ME). One was a nice walk along a cliff called Giant Steps. Another was a secluded beach (very rough road in, would need good clearance, not a low slung car). There's a different atlas for each state - an oversize, detailed maps of roads and showing things like covered bridges and waterwalls.

Depending on when you visit, you might encounter a interesting historical reinactment. We used to go to Musterfield Farm in Sutton NH for Old Time Farming Days held the weekend before Labor Day (usually): antique tractors, demonstrations of old skills, (lacemakers are fascinating). I would explore Yankee Magazine's website for events held in New England around the time of your visit.

I think I would splurge on the boat trip out to Monhegan Island. Take a picnic and enjoy hiking the cliffs. There's a small museum you can also visit.

Carry bag chairs for picnics and quiet reading time. Good place is Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. One of our favorite picnic places is top of Mt Battie in Camden ME. Probably the most scenic views in New England. I like it better than Cadillac in Acadia because it overlooks the harbor.

If you go across the top of the White Mountains and over thru Maine, you can go thru Bangor. Cole Transportation Museum is fascinating. It's more about work vehicles instead of fancy cars and airplanes that they have at Owl's Head. Owl's Head has some very interesting weekend events. Something to see antique airplanes fly.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:40 AM

How about Indiana to NYC, 2 days there,

NYC to Mystic CT - visit Mystic Seaport- spend the night

Mystic to Newport RI - visit a couple of mansions - spend the night

Newport to Boston - 2 days there

Boston to Bar Harbor, maybe a stop between, but a few days there then on to PEI
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:41 AM

Few days in Bar Harbor for Acadia
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everybody! I love getting the scoop from people who know! Getting online now to look all these places up!