New England...July or Aug for a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a 1 week surprise birthday vacation to New England, and have one week to see some of VT, NH & ME. (we've been to Boston, so would like to see something new) Any suggestions of "must see" towns would be appreciated. We both love quaint lil towns over big, bustling cities. We're 50ish and love to walk. How many nights in each area (to make drives to nearby towns possibly instead of uprooting daily, or better to uproot)? Recommend July or August? I think I'm finding much higher lodging in August? Any suggestions appreciated! TY
Old May 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about September?

July and August are both touristy-crazy-busy along the coast and lodging needs to be booked a.s.a.p. Not sure why you are finding "much higher" lodging in August but if budget is a concern, by all means book those "much lower" prices that you are finding in July because they won't stay low for much longer.

http://www.fodors.com/search/results...pshire+Vermont
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Try after August 17 when people with kids start leaving. After Labor Day but before leaf-peepers arrive is indeed ideal.

I would spend two nights in Brunswick, Maine; two nights in Littleton, N.H; and two nights in Montpelier, VT. You can explore the Casco Bay coast of Maine, the White Mountains and Connecticut River Valley, and the most scenic part of Vermont.
Old May 16th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I can do end of Aug. Ogunquit? Is that a must see?
Old May 16th, 2015, 05:40 AM

If you love quaint little towns, I suggest Bar Harbour Maine, it's is adorable and so much to do with Acadia national park nearby. You can take advantage of the free Shuttle service all around town and into Acadia. Lots of things to do like biking the carriage road and seeing the coastal cliffs and light houses. If you like lobster it doesn't get any fresher than in Maine. I would also suggest North Conway NH, also so much to see and do in town and mountains. It is about a four hour drive from bar Harbour to North Conway. You'll get the best of both worlds. Scenic seaside coastal area to the beautiful moutains of the valley. MT. Washington is a must see , and NH offers many rivers and hikes to various waterfalls. You could split it up. In my opinion those are the two best areas of each state. Both are quaint, walking friendly and offer many possibilities. Both very busy either month, but well worth it!

Have fun
Old May 16th, 2015, 06:15 AM

There is lots to see in these 3 states. On the seacoast, the first two weeks of August seems to be the busiest time, although all summer is quite busy. Ogunquit is a very popular, cutesy beach resort town with an artsy feel to it. It has possibly the nicest stretch of white sand beach in the state, and a beautiful seaside footpath along the cliffs.
The lower third of the Maine seacoast is where the beaches are - York, Ogunquit, Wells, Kennebunkport, Old Orchard. Further north is slightly less busy, and more rockbound. Bar Harbor and Acadia are extremely scenic, but a very long drive. Most of New Hampshire and nearly all of Vermont are quiet and picturesque. The above suggestions for Littleton and Montpelier area as bases are good. Other towns to look at might include Sunapee NH, Jackson NH, Lyme NH, Hancock NH, Grafton Vt, Woodstock Vt, Stowe Vt, Waitsfield Vt. Three nights in Maine, and two nights in NH & Vt might make a good mix.
Old May 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Good points from zootsi.

North Conway has a nice town center, surrounded by ski condominiums and choked by outlet malls. Traffic is usually horrible. Best avoided.

If you go to Bar Harbor, that's pretty much going to be your trip. I made my suggestions in the belief that you wanted to get a cross section of the three states (you really don't have time for the other three, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut). Next year, when you come back, ;-) you can do them, then the FOLLOWING year, you can spend a week in Boston, then . . . .

Well, I am not a New England native, but you can tell i am an enthusiast!
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Tough question because a week is so brief. I think August has more events. Montpelier has a festive farmers market on Saturdays and so does Norwich VT which is close to tourist magnet Woodstock. Hanover NH is just across the river. If you stayed in Sunapee on the right weekend you could visit Old Time Farming Days at Musterfield Farm in N Sutton NH. The Fells in Newbury has a very interesting house tour. The League of NH Crafts has a fabulous craft fair in early August.

Brunswick ME is a good base for visiting around. There's some easy hikes in the Harpswells. I'd vote for the Giant Steps over Ogunquit's Marginal Way. It's shorter and less dramatic but far less crowded.

But I,m also going to suggest Portland ME because the Old Port is a fun place and you can take a mailboat cruise around Casco Bay. A friend loves Peak Island but We've never visited. It's a stop on the mailboat run.
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Again, Thank to all who replied! Great suggestions, and seems like I better get busy. I think I will take the one suggestion of waiting til end of August since school will be back in, and hopefully less crowded. I'm anxious to explore!! THANK YOU so much!!
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:30 AM

OP the secret to avoiding crowds is to go to the less popularspots that most overlook. We likethe Bath area for 4th of July yet never see crowds in the Harpswells. Go to lobster shack in Cundy Harbor instead of Bailey's. Best place to picnic is top of Mount Battie in Camden. Fantastic view. We take the auto road.