New England itinerary - do you agree?

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England itinerary - do you agree?

After reading the fantastic feedback on other itineraries I wondered if my plan is a sensible one. We are staying for 3 nights in Boston and then have 6 days to get a taster of New England from 4th October onwards. My husband and I would like to get a taster of Cape Cod and also the mountain areas. I am planning the followingbr /> Monday- Drive to Chatham and overnight in Chatham
Tuesday- Provincetown and crossing from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard and overnight in Martha's Vineyard
Wednesday- Drive to Salem and overnight in Salem
Thursday- Drive to White Mountains, overnight in Woodstock/Lincoln area
Friday- day and night in Woodstock/Lincoln area
Saturday- drive back to Foxboro (staying there for Pats game on the Sunday!)

We are flying in from the UK and have not visited before...what do you think?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...too many one-nighters in there for me. Maybe 2 nights in Boston, and the third night down to Chatham where you make Chatham a 2 nighter.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:18 PM

Note: Provincetown is 35 miles due north of Chatham. Then, it's 75 miles to Woods Hole, where you catch a ferry to Martha's Vineyard.

My recommendation would be to head for the White Mountains after Boston, then for Salem (MA?), then Cape Cod, then Foxboro.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:22 AM

From Salem (Mass???) take Rt 95 to Portsmouth NH for lunch and a walk around the dock and Strawbery Banke area. If the weather is good, take a harbor cruise or inland rivers. Head west toward Concord NH via Rt 4 and then Rt 28 north to the mountains. You will want to take a slight detour through Wolfboro NH. On your return south, take Rt 93 although a loop into VT return on Rt 89 would be better if you've already explored the Rt 93 area in the mountains.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

After reading the reply from djkbooks I am thinking of reversing the itinerary. We were planning to collect our car from the airport about midday on Monday and then heading off. If we head north instead how far could we get...would be able to get as far as the Woodstock/Lincoln area for a two night stay or is there somewhere we could stop on route to the White Mountains region. If we switch it we would spend Monday and Tuesday in the White Mountains and then drive down to Salem for Wednesday night. Then to Cape Cod for Thursday and Friday nights and saturday. Could we go straight to Martha's Vineyard from Salem, stay there on Thursday night and then over to Chatham for Friday night and drive to Provincetown on Saturday and then back to Foxboro for Saturday night...are these distances realistic??