Reload this Page >

New England Inn at Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:34 AM
jayne

I posted a message a few weeks ago, asking for suggestions for inns with charm and x-country skiing and got a wonderful suggestion, the Franconia Inn in New Hampshire. I was about to make a reservation when I had second thoughts--it looks like a long drive from Logan, where we'll be arriving at 2:00 p.m., and then have to drive to our inn destination. So now I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't try to go so far north, dispense with trying to ski, and just find an inn with lots of Christmas spirit. My husband, by the way, (who may be reading this too) thinks the driving shouldn't be a problem as it's mostly interstate. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:29 PM
betsy

Hi there,
The drive should only take you at the most 2 1/2 hours. I can do it in 2 (going a little over the speed limit!!). If the weather is bad, it will take a lot longer. Franconia is a great choice as it is in the prettiest part of NH and you should have a pretty good chance of seeing some snow.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 02:21 AM
Annette

I agree with Betsy. It looks like it is a long way up there, but with it being interstate the whole way it will take you the 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 03:04 AM
ET

Hi:
There are so many wonderful choices. I am not sure if skiing really is of primary importance. If it is you should head to north country. I am not sure abut the Franconia Inn but if other readers have been they can be more helpful. If skiing is something you can forego let me suggest a couple of places. First, the White Barn Inn in Kennebuckport, ME. Absolutely, first class! No skiing but the height of charm and character. Another place you might to consider is the Daniel Webster Inn in Sandwich, MA. Both are about
l 1/2 hours from Logan. There are lots of wonderful inns in Vermont, Maine and NH. I would try to find an inn that has a four or if possible, a five star restaurant. I have never been disappointed. My ultimate vote would be the White Barn. You are close to Portland, ME which is lovely and also Freeport, ME home of L.L. Bean. Harraskaett Inn in Freeport is a lovely place to stop at.
I am also sorry to say I can't remeber exactly where I saw this but there is a Christmas Tour/Train that goes through the White Mountains. You may want to write to the Chamber of Commerce and ask them about events and lodging.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 04:26 AM
Dick

Hi again. I was the one who suggested the Franconia Inn. Don't let the distance deter you - the 2 1/2 hour estimate is about right and it's an easy drive, on interstate almost to the door of the Inn, and with nice scenery, especially toward the end when you'll pass through Franconia Notch (though it should be kinda dark by then). New Hampshire does a wonderful job on their roads when it snows, so I wouldn't worry about that either.