New England in October

Sep 5th, 2000, 12:32 PM
Nancy Collins

New England in October

My husband and I are planning to take a leisurely drive along the east coast from Mystic, CT to Acadia National Park the first week in October and return via the Hudson River. Are the coastal NE resort areas crowded this time of year? Do we need to make more definite plans (hotel reservations)?

Sep 5th, 2000, 12:36 PM
marie

Nancy - first week in October is MAJOR fall foliage time in New England - some establishments are booked up for a year in advance. Please do not leave home without reservations. Yes, it will be crowded.

Sep 5th, 2000, 12:39 PM
DougD

The New England Seacoast shouldn't be too bad this time of year, but it is 'peak foliage' season in the mountains of New England, and there could be spillover into the coastal areas. Suggestion: for a truly beautiful ride home, drive down the Connecticut river valley on I-91. You will be in the heart of the most beautiful New England countryside imaginable, especially thru Vermont and New Hampshire.

Sep 5th, 2000, 02:53 PM
paula

The seacoast is NOT crowded at that pint in time in the season. As a matter of fact, that was always our favorite time to go to the Cape. It is a little more challenging finding a hotel, as some are open seasonally only.

Our son went to school in Biddeford, Maine - that week in October is a good time there along Kennebunk, Saco, Ogunquit as well.

Sep 5th, 2000, 06:26 PM
M

sounds like a great plan & I think that you will only have trouble weekends--Fri , Sat night at some of the best know & priciest places. There is a series called Explorers Guide , check amazon ,
which covers each state with great suggestions for attractions, restaurants & lots of lodging. In Mystic I would stay at Randals Ordinary & dine there (I only stayed in the annex which I thought was simple & wonderful); Newport might be nice; if you have time to go to Block Island, that should be amazing in the Fall (do you bike?); see Strawberry Banke
on coastal border; stay in Oqonquit or maybe Cape Elizabeth. Sounds great!

Sep 5th, 2000, 06:35 PM
adina

One of the nicest places we stayed at in the US is the Atlantic Oakes Hotel in Bar Harbor. It is right on the water, has an indoor and outdoor pool, tennis, and really nice grounds. You don't necessarily need to reserve but you might want to check out how their bookings are. It will probably be a few weeks early for foliage in New York but the Hudson River Valley is really nice-- I'd recommend visiting Montgomery Place (you can take a walk along the river there-- one of the few places where the train tracks don't hug the river)as well as the more visited Vanderbilt Mansion, Roosevelt's home at Hyde Park, and Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow). Have a great trip.

Search this Thread