Reload this Page >

New England in fall (rv or car???)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:08 PM
jane

I've received so much great advice re: a previous question so will now pose another to anyone with experience of the above. We have travelled in Canada before with an rv and loved it. Now my mum and I will be going to New England this fall and would greatly appreciate advice on whether it would be suitable to rent an rv again or would a car (and motels/hotels) be better? I can't imagine (or get info) on whether the area is conducive to rv travel or if car is better? Hope you can help? :

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Donna

I live in New Hampshire and would advise against the RV if you're planning to drive all through the mountains, which is where you'll see the most spectacular foliage. There are many steep grades and lots of curves, much more pleasant to navigate in a car than an RV. But, if you're used to driving an RV in the mountains and don't mind the very slow going up the steep grades, and can still get reservations at this late date for campgrounds, you may prefer the RV.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Donna F

There are too many places you migh want to stop where parking would be inadequate. You would never EVER take an RV into Boston and Portsmouth NH has some very narrow streets. I think a car would give you much more flexibility. Make reservations soon. We have pulled a camper and there's lots of places where my husband just doesn't feel comfortable stopping or pulling over to the side of the road. All the small, popular towns don't seem to have enough parking spaces for cars, let alone larger rigs.
You'll have a grand time. You can get more information about travel in New England at Yankee Magazine's website
www.newengland.com.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
X

I think that an RV would be a fine choice. I do think that you would probably want to make reservations at the campgrounds ahead of time -- particularly if you are going during prime autumn colors weeks, and also because some campgrounds close in the fall. As far as getting into towns and parking -- might depend on what size you get. If you're in a big class A, you might have problems some places. But, geesh, truck drivers take their rigs into these towns too!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:38 AM
TryThis

You might want to get another opinion from http://www.rv.net/forum/

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Eric

Just thought I'd let you know about an option that falls in between a car and an RV. You could rent a Volkswagen Camper which you can drive through narrow streets and has plenty of room to sleep 2 adults. It would probably save you a good deal of money in hotel costs, plus they may already be all booked. I believe there is a company based in Mass. that does this.

Just a thought.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Brenda

I really think you want a vehicle that you can pull off the highway at short notice. The reason is that there are so many picturesque areas and the sites are so fantastic, you will want to pull over frequently and take pictures or enjoy the scenery. Many areas in which you will pull over are small and an RV would be a distinct disadvantage.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:31 AM
gail

We have checked into RV rentals several times - the cost just did not make sense for us. After you figure in rental cost, mileage charge, and all assorted expenses, it was always cheaper to take our own car.

But if you have to rent one or the other, finances might be more favorable. New England in fall is probably more congested than much of Canada - there are not a lot of places, especially during fall leaf season that will not let you just pull over and camp. You would have to pay for a campsite.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:32 AM
gail

Error in above post - sorry. What I meant was you can not just pull over and camp - you need to rent a site.