New Bedford Restaurant

Search

New Bedford Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Bedford Restaurant

We will be visiting the New Bedford NHP and Whaling Museum next week, and are wondering if there are any restaurants to be recommended within walking distance?

Thanks, can't wait to get back to New England!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Within walking distance are a number of bar/grills. We went to one in what was obviously a former bank. It was exactly like any other similar place in any other city: fine for lunch.

Ask the museum staff where they would recommend. You might as for a recommendation for a place serving Portugese food. These aren't likely to be within walking distance, but they are usually rewarding.

A fairly brief drive away is the Shawmut Diner, the real deal, with something for everyone if don't find anything that excites you more in the city.

Near the Shawmut is Allen Haskell's nursery, probably the most important hosta grower in the United States. He has a lot of really fascinating rare plants of all kinds, and it is well worth a visit if you care at all about gardens. You may have seen him on Martha Stewart.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 07:50 AM
yk

As mentioned above, New Bedford is most famous for its Portugese restaurants due to a large Portugese population there. However, I don't think any of the authentic restaurants are near the historic center.

We visited New Bedford last year and we drove to Antonio's for lunch (about 1 mile north) - plenty of free parking on surrounding streets. The food was wonderful. http://www.antoniosnewbedford.com/

Regarding the New Bedford NHP, consider taking their free walking tour of the historic area.
http://www.nps.gov/nebe/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

Have a good visit!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I believe the restaurant Ackislander mentioned is called the Freestone, and I also found it fine for lunch.

Don't forget to visit the Seaman's Bethel, across the street from the Whaling Museum.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Good advice thus far. Will definitely second Antonio's, which I thought was excellent.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We have never had Portugese food, but last night I happened to catch No Reservations on The Travel Chanel, and Tony had dinner at a Portugese restaurant in Boston. Looked delish, though I think I would pass on the tripe

Thanks again everyone!