Search

New B&B in Missouri

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:57 PM
Topper

New B&B in Missouri

Found this one while out running amuck.

http://www.hawthornbb.com/

Has some cool java panoramic images you can click on to view the room and some history of the previous owners.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 01:48 PM
jmush

Excellent panoramics on the "tour" link! I like the "menu-like" ability in those images. The author put some interesting historical stuff out there, too - like "genograms".

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:03 PM
L

Yup. Nice site, nice pics. Looks like a nice place.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:08 PM
amy miller

How did they do that with the jpegs? How does one take panoramic pictures? I can think of a lot of places I'd like take panoramic pictures of!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Kool

Where's Independence in relation to Overland Park, Kansas? I live in Florida and will be staying in KC, but don't want to book a hotel room.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:49 PM
John

Cool java applet. I have some software that "stitches" panoramic images together, but it came with my Olympus digital camera. Whoever built that site did a nice job with the research too. I'd stay there just to hear the stories. Is the place haunted?

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:21 PM
L

However they did it, it certainly is worth a look. I'm obsessed by the java stuff that scrolls the picture of the inside of the house, particularly the ability to zoom. Did you check out the second floor rooms? The Evans room has a link at the bottom of the page that goes into a whole bunch of old family pictures. I'm pretty impressed.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Lil

Independence is just east of Kansas City. The author of the site posted links to maps of directions, specifically from Overland Park. Click on the "Maps and Directions" link to see it. Not a bad site. Could use a little sprucing up graphically, though.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 06:46 AM
joyce b

Enjoyed the link to Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 07:55 AM
a

What is there to do in Kansas City? Of all the places in the world to travel, why would I pick the Midwest?

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Midwest Fan

The Midwest has lots of Civil War history. If you're a Civil War fan like I am, Kansas City is a great place to find historical interest. Harry S. Truman is from Independence. I saw the letter from Bess Truman on the B&B site. It's fun to read stuff like that.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 01:39 PM
John

There's a lot of good food in the Kansas City area. I'm a fat man, so I should know. The Plaza houses a number of great restaurants, 39th Street also has some reputable establishments. Hawthorne Plaza in Leawood Kansas has a couple of good one's too.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 09:36 PM
kalena

Beautifully done! ( I felt like I was playing Myst.) Isn't Independence the home of Truman? As a former Jayhawk, I can also recommend The Eldridge House in Lawrence. I'm sure their web site is nothing like this, though. Saving this for our next mainland trip....Thank you!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:14 AM
Linda

Nice navigation technique on this site. It's simple, elegant, and passes my litmus test for getting info quickly, as well as additional gems of info if I want it (I liked clicking on some of the genogram elements to see pictures). Well done. The author needn't put any more graphics on it as one person commented before. Simplicity is key in web site development, and graphic noise is just noise.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 08:07 AM
jay jorgensen

Linda -- I agree completely with your assessment. The site is fantastic, and unessential graphics is just noise. The next time I travel to KC (in spring), this will be where I choose to stay. The site is intriguing and informative enough to pique my interest without giving it all away!

Has anyone stayed here yet? Can anyone give a review of the keepers and/or food?

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 09:49 AM
x

Just looked at the web sight. It really is worth a visit!!! It's a buzz around my work right now. I showed a bunch of co-workers, and now they're wanting to stay there.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:19 PM
Alex Plautz

Excellent site. Nice work.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:40 PM
Peppa2

A friend referred me to this chatboard. Said to find the link to the Hawthorne web site. I used to do work with IPIX, which is similar to the 360 degree control that the site's author used. Can anyone tell me what this java class is, and how to get a hold of it? It loads faster than IPIX, and looks rather simple. Did the site's author write it?

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 08:01 PM
Sandy Claws

This b&b looks like it has a few chimneys for me to fit my fat red hiney into. Fun web site.

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 09:33 AM
My 2 cents

Nice site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -