Reload this Page >

Neighborhood for Wyndham Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:22 PM
Marcia

I got a comparatively good deal for the Wyndham Boston (on Broad St.), but a friend said she thought it was in the financial district, which would empty out at night -- and that it was right near the "Big Dig." Will this be an okay place for me, single middle-aged woman, to come and go from after dark?

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Donna

It is very empty at night as the neighborhood is mostly office buildings. We walked by at 7PM on a Saturday night last August and it was pretty much deserted. If staying at this hotel in the city alone, I'd take taxis. The big dig is, indeed, only a couple of blocks away. You'd probably be better situated in Copley Square or the Harborside Inn, a block from Faneuil Hall, or on the Harbor.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:24 PM
Maggie

I'd have to agree with Donna that the neighborhood does empty out after business hours. Although I think you'd be safe, it is a little distant to things/restaurants/theatre that you migfht be interested in. Copley Square/Newbury St. offer plenty of street traffic, restaurants etc. the harbor area is good but is REALLY in the middle of the Big Dig. I'd look into the Copley Plaza, Marriott at Copley or the Westin. I know there is also a good small hotel on Newbury St but can not think of the name ---maybe someone else can help.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 07:57 AM
Beth

Maggie, the small hotel you're thinking of, could it be the Elliot? I've heard good things about it.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Donna

The Newbury Guest House is excellent. Reasonable rates and terrific location. Must book way ahead, though.