Need urgent help re: a child's US Passport

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Posts: n/a
Need urgent help re: a child's US Passport

I need to know if a minor child's parents names will be listed on the child's US Passport. More specifically, if so, will the child's mother's name be listed as it appears on the passport application or will it be listed as it appears on the child's birth certificate? In our case, the child's mother reverted back to her maiden name after divorcing my husband. The child's birth certificate, of course, still lists the mother's name as it was when she was married. Which one of the mother's last names will appear on the child's passport?
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Posts: n/a
My 1 year old son's passport only has his name on it. Parents are not listed. In terms of the passport application and the name change, I'd ask them at the passport office. However, I seem to recall that both my wife and I needed to sign the passport application.

Depending on where you are going, you might want to check the rules for entry when only one parent is present. Some countries require consent of the second parent.
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Posts: n/a
No, the parents names are not listed on a kids passport. At least, on my sons' passport, which we got 2 years ago when he was six, (and I'm looking at it now, the only name on it is his, and my signature, on the signature line, which is M-M- for son A- R-. (I have a different last name than my son) You can find answers on line at the passport site - do a google search or search this site. More importantly, if you are taking your stepchild(?) overseas or to mexico, I have heard that it is helpful to have a letter from BOTH parents that the child is allowed to leave the country. good luck.
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Posts: n/a
Ryan is correct, only the child's name appears on a passport, HOWEVER, for many foreign countries, unless your husband has full custody of the children, you must travel with a notorized letter from the children's mother stating that she has given permission for the children to leave the country without her.

This is even true of married parents when one parent is traveling with minor children. When we've gone to Mexico or the Dominican republic without our husbands, my sister and I needed to bring notorized letters signed by our husbands that we have their permission to take the children out of the country.

This is something that many TA's are unaware of, so make sure you have the letter with you. There have been instances where the children were denied boarding without the letters.
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Posts: n/a
rrr, The question leads me to believe that you are either trying to pass your stepdaughter off as your own child, or are taking the child out of the country without her mother's permission. Why else would it matter how the child's/parent's name appears?

You wouldn't be trying to do anything sneaky and illegal like that, would you?
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Posts: n/a
Your question could be a bit complicated. Sounds like you need a call to the Passport Office.
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Aug 1st, 2012 01:17 PM
United States
Sep 26th, 2007 04:38 AM
United States
Aug 15th, 2007 10:21 AM
Caribbean Islands
Jul 16th, 2007 05:01 PM
Caribbean Islands
Oct 11th, 2005 12:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information