Need Seward restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love recommendations from anybody who can tell us where some places are to get a good dinner in Seward. Actually, we'll be there for 3 nights--so, we'd really like to get several different ideas! Would love your help!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

The two best places that I found were Ray's and Chinooks down along the docks. We had excellent meals last September at both.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM

second the suggestion for Chinook's. My experience at Ray's was not that great, either in service or food quality.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:45 AM

The Exit Glacier salmon bake is good, and so is the Showcase for halibut.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We loved the food and atmosphere at Ray's. There were six in our party and everyone was please with their food and service. Pam
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM

--Just got back from 2 weeks in Alaska. My favorite restaurants in Seward were Chinooks by the harbor and Yoly's Bistro downtown on 4th Ave.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:25 AM

I too did not have positive experience with Ray's. We went there twice thinking we would give them another chance after one not the best dinner. After all this suppose to be the place in Seward according to so many visitors. Both times food was just OK, although I don't like cold chowder, and nothing different from so many places in Alaska but service both times was below any standards. I hope, caligirl56, your experience at Ray's is going to be much better than ours. Would like to hear about salmon bake at the Exit Glacier for our visit in August.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I'll throw out a few more details on Ray's and Chinooks, since there seems to be some debate.

We went in mid-September, so there were no cruise crowds but still adequate staff to ensure good service. We had a nice time at both places. The staff was pleasant and attentive and all of the food and drink was delivered in a timely fashion.

At Chinooks, I had an excellent chowder and a seafood stew. I can't remember what my wife had but it was good as well.

At Rays, we had the Thai seafood and a blackened halibut platter. Both were excellent (we took the extra Thai noodles with us for lunch the next day).
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much all! Has anyone ever been to the Resurrection Roadhouse?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM

caligirl,

My info on the Resurrection Roadhouse is a bit dated - we were there in 2000 - but it was excellent. We loved their halibut and salmon chowder so much we ate there twice in the 3 days we were in Seward. My husband jokingly asked if he could have the recipe and to our surprise they gave it to us. Of course it was for a restaurant-sized pot of chowder, but with a little trial and error he cut it down to a manageable size that tasted the same. Everything else we ordered was equally good. I hope it's still the same. Maybe someone with more recent experience will chime in.

Every time I read a post from someone going to Alaska it reminds me how much I want to go back.

Fran
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I was there a couple of weeks ago vacation. I ate at Resurrection Roadhouse and Ray's. I enjoyed Ray's, the food was good. (It wasn't very busy, I imagine it gets busy when the boats come in. My 2 yr old son loved the place with all the fish on the wall and the proximity of the commotion and deckhands filleting fish on the dock.

For what it's worth, we spent some time with a local couple who have lived in Seward for several years. The locals tend to go to Ray's instead of Chinooks, because they like the food better. I didn't eat at Chinook's, so I wouldn't know. The locals recommended Yoly's as well, it appears another poster enjoyed their experience at Yoly's as well.

We ate at Resurrection Roadhouse, the food was good. I would recommend. We had a burger and a chicken sandwich (lunch) and good sweet potato french fries. The restaurant does not have the ambiance of Ray's and it is connected to the hotel.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM

We have eaten at Ray's on two occasions. Both times the food (and harbor view) were very good. As a transplanted Floridian, I particularly enjoyed their excellent key lime pie, made with Nellie & Joe's (authentic) key lime juice.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM

We went to Chinook, and had their grilled halibut. Fresh and tasty fish and expertly grilled--possibly one of the best fish I had in a long time! The place was contemporary looking with volume ceiling and huge glass windows looking out to the harbor. We had a window table. The service was excellent, and the waiter was honest about the salmon being frozen. That's why we opted for halibut.

Also, there's a very Mexican restaurant on the opposite side of Chinook. We had excellent grilled halibut tacos and homemade salsa--they had a variety of interesting salsas. Yummy! The Mexican restaurants in SoCal can learn a thing or two about salsa making from this place. Forgot its name but I could look it up. It has a huge mural inside of the Alaska train running through the Southwest desert--surreal.

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
z

ttt for alaskafan21
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:41 AM

We went straight from the NW Kenai Fjords long boat tour and ate at Ray's right next to the small boat harbor. It was excellent!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM

We spent 4 nights in Seward last August, and Chinooks was definitely our favorite. Here's what I wrote about it in my trip report last year:

We got back from the Kenai Fjords tour that night and did not feel like cooking. We looked at Ray's but it was packed, with people standing outside. We didn't want to wait, so we went downtown and found everything full of smoke - UGH. So we went back to Ray's, which was still full, and noticed Chinooks right next door. We went in and were AMAZED. Very nice, upscale decor, great music, HUGE windows - one per table - with a spectacular view of the waterfront. And NO smoking! So we happily went in and were amazed at the prices - very reasonable - cheaper than the smoke-filled places in downtown that didn't have a view. I've never had king crab so I had it, and it was fabulous. Service was marvelous, ambiance was great, we just loved it. My husband wasn't that hungry so he had an appetizer of fried clams and they were SO fresh, I couldn't believe it. We each had cobbler for dessert - I had blackberry and my husband had chocolate. The blackberries were Alaskan - but frozen from the previous year. At least they were honest!