Need opinons on SF restaurants!

Sep 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Need opinons on SF restaurants!

Looking for a nice dinner spot after a 49ers game next month. Any opinions on Town Hall, Delancy St. Cafe, Acme Chop House, Tadich Grill or the Tonga Room? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Which are closest to the stadium? ***kim***
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Nothing is really close...where are you coming from....or going to? Been to Town Hall twice and enjoyed it both times. Great limon drops at the bar.
Acme Chop House expensive...okay. Tonga Room...skip..unless you are right there and just want to see it for a drink. Delancy Street has always been good. I may be going there tomorrow night, I'll let you know if it still is. Kokarri (sp) is a fantastic Greek restaurant by Embarcadero. Great for a nice wintery night because is has a huge fireplace in the front dinning room.
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

How far is Delancy from the stadium and what kind of foods are there? Acme's menu is expensive. Are the steaks good there? I think the son and father that are going with my hubby and son would freak at those prices, but we wouldn't mind treating them, either!

This is all part of my hubby's birthday present. Looks like Tadich serves really good fish, which I would love, but I'll be at home with all the other kids this time!! More suggestions? ***kim***
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Kal

kimmer,
The 49ers still play at Candlestick Park which is about 10 miles south down 101 of these restaurants.
Will you be coming back into The City after the game?
These restaurants are all near the Giants ballpark, Pac Bell or whatever it's name is now. :-?

If you're leaving the stadium and going south home, you may want to check out the KGO radio website and see where they have their "49er wrap up".

It used to be at Gordon Biersch's on The Embarcadero. They would have a few 49er players show up for post game inteviews.
They moved to different restaurant last year. Name escapes me...."Buster's"?

If you are going south, we've gone to Hyatt's "Knuckles Sports Bar" in Burlingame for "post game" activities before. Good burgers and other "sports food" and the ESPN wrap up of all the scores.

You're sending your hubby to the game for his birthday?!?!?
Only one thing I could say about that!
Got a sister????
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I have only been to Acme and Delancy Street, both which I like. I would lean towards Delancy because although I loved the steak at Acme, their sides were only so-so. Plus Delancy is such a great organization I like to support them whenever I can (hence why my Christmas tree is always waaay more expensive then one would hope to pay for a dead plant).
Sep 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

No sister, only one brother,LOL! Actually, my football-loving son suggested the gift for his dad. (Ha ha) He gets a trip to the 49ers game with his dad, best friend and his dad & I got a trip to Carmel and a dinner @ Sierra Mar for his birthday. We were asking everyone in the family where they would like to go, then I told them to give the trips as a BD present! Still wish I had a sister?

KAL, do you have an opinion on Caffe Sport? How far is that from the stadium? Thanks! ***kim***
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Kal

kimmer,
Adopt me then!

Haven't been to Sport in over 20 yrs.

We did go to another NoBeach oldie last April, Capps Cafe on Green. Excellent Italian food and a nice bar.

I see you mentioned Chaya on your other SF post.
It always seems to be on the SFTV network in all the hotel rooms. Haven't heard a word about it tho. Try Citysearch yet?

And remember, when you say the 49ers and "The Stadium", it's Candlestick Park not Pac Bell. BIG diff in mileage to downtown SF.

What about Washington Square Bar and Grill? Good bar, good grub, old SF.
Kal
Sep 8th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Caffe Sport is closed on Sun. I also posted on Chowhound and everyone over gave me confusing advice and thought the stadium was at the ballpark. Sheesh! LOL

How far away is Chaya from "the stadium?" Any opinions on Fog City Diner? Cindy P. is not an owner any more, I called and asked. It's on Battery St., is this closer than Chaya?

For now, I'm going with Chaya unless something else comes along.

Acme Chop House-good but very expensive, might send the other two guys into cardiac arrest! LOL

Fog City Diner-might be too far away, but looks like a good menu there

Tadich Grill-too much fish on the menu for the meat-loving guys!

Gary Danko-looks too elegant and fancy schmancy for them

Any comments on Zuni Cafe? Didn't it get restaurant of the year awhile back? ***kim***
Sep 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Kal

Per MapQuest, 3Com "The Stadium" (Harney Way at Jamestown Ave) about 8 miles away up 101 from Chaya....but remember after a game it can take an hour just to get to the Bay Bridge.
We usually took the back way out, 3rd St...takes you on all surface streets but brings up to Pac Bell Park and the Embarcadero.

We ate at Fog City last year and it was good. About a mile away up Embarcadero from Chaya. Good "American fare". Good burger and great meat loaf! Serves Guinness, too.

Meat lovers? Harris', House of Prime Rib or Alfred's....or Brazen Head?
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, probably a 6:30 reservation would give them plenty of time. Maybe they would have some time to walk around the Ferry Building for awhile.

I haven't been to SF in a couple of years, I think it's time to plan a trip there for myself! Maybe to Christmas shop and try some of these fantastic restaurants. ***kim***
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:38 PM
je

Ferry Bldg has a great Vietnamese restaurant, Slanted Door. Down on the Battery is Boulevard which has been excellent for several years. Both are a drive form the stadium though. Zuni on Market is closer and is a great spot. Has been on top 100 list for a couple of years.
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

I was just viewing the menus for Slanted Door, it looks very nice. Any other opinions on this place? ***kim***
Sep 13th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Kal

Yeah. Go!

I've seldom heard a discouraging word about this place.
The couple of times we tried to squeeze in, line was too long.

Nice location now, too. Sit out back and take in the view.
Love what they did to The Ferry Building. FINALLY!
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

KAL, what else is in the Ferry Building? Will it be open on a Sun. evening or does everything close early on Sundays? ***kim***
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
je

Some good upscale fastfood places are there, e.g. Taylor's Refresher from St Helena. There is an interesting Japanese fast food place but can't remember the name. Hog Island Oysters has a place that really looked great. I was there last Sunday PM but don't remember seeing closing times.
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Kal

kimmer,
www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com

We went and got ourselves a salmon sandwich at the SF Fish Co and brought it back to the dining area at The Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant and downed it with a few carafes of Pinot while watching the people stroll by.

it may be too late for the main building as it looks like it closes at 5:00 on Sunday but I'm sure the restaurants stay open lateer than that.

The Ahi Burger w/ spicy sweet 'tater fries at Taylor's makes me drool right now!
I heard the Market Bar makes a mean martini!
Sep 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I wonder if the Slanted Door takes reservations? I've read on Chowhound that some people left because the line was too long. Must be good if you can get in. I'm assuming that a Sun. night would be a lot less hectic.

We've seen the Taylor's many times in St. Helena but have not stopped there. Sounds very good for a casual meal. We usually lunch at Bistro Jeanty when we're in that area. Or Auberge du Soleil out on the terrace.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Still haven't decided yet, so open to more suggestions. ***kim***

Sep 14th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Slanted Door takes reservations. Great food. Wall of windows with view of bridge. Nice wine list. Fantastic tea list. Try the Pearl Jasmine.
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Kal

Hey! I used to date Pearl Jasmine. Had a sister named Starr?

kimmer-stop by Taylor's next time whether in SF or StH. Worth the stop for a casual bite.
The StH location is a great break in a long NV bike ride.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

For a white pistachio milkshake? Sounds very nice! Mmm! ***kim***

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO