Need "near Texas" vacation suggestions!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 06:54 AM
BranV

Need "near Texas" vacation suggestions!

We live in Dallas and the Sunday after Christmas would like to travel somewhere (DEc. 26-29) Our plan is to pick a place that's within 10 hours of either Dallas or Austin and go there. We have been to the hill country so many times we really don't want to visit it again, and we've already been to Mexico, Texas coast, Palo Duro Canyon, Hot Springs, Houston & Salado. We thought about South Padre, but couldn't imagine entertaining ourselves there for 4 days in the winter. SO, can anyone tell me of some interesting drivable areas to visit? I am all out of ideas. Any lovely hotels, etc? Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 08:40 AM
CMcDaniel

That's the problem with living in Dallas..you almost have to get on a plane to get anyplace interesting. It sounds as if you enjoy doing things outside so I hesitate with this thought, but New Orleans might be an idea. We've done it from Dallas prior to road improvement in LA and even then it was just about within your limits. You'll certainly not lack for things to do for 3 days!!
Or..our son used to go skiing in New Mexico when he was at TX Tech--it wasn't too far from them, so it might be within your range too. Even if you don't ski, it'd be a beautiful change of scenery from Dallas.
Carol ex-Plano

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 04:38 PM
Dianna

Think again about going to SPI, this is the 5th year we go down from OH for Jan. & Feb. I heard they have a few gambling boats down there now. Walks on the beach, sunsets at Amerjacks, horseback riding, golf at the new course, Mexico a half hour away, lots of nice restaurants with hardly any waits, deep sea fishing, shelling, etc. etc. etc., all of this is only a few hours from you and it takes us 26.

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 04:30 AM
John

DEFINITELY New Orleans is your answer! It's about 9 hours from Dallas (via Shreveport and I-49) and is an easy all-interstate drive. You'll definitely never be bored. One can wander just the French Quarter for days! You should book a room ASAP, however, as these crazy millennium celebrations will cause lots of things to already be taken!

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Christie

Santa Fe, New Mexico is an option. It would be a bit of a drive, but it is SO pretty!!! Stay at the Bishop's Lodge hotel- it's very nice. Albuquerque, NM is another neat place. Both cities have fabulous shopping and New Mexican food! Southwest Airlines flies to Albuquerque- $83 eachway for the discounted fares...